Three Dancing Slaves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three Dancing Slaves Reviews

½ December 13, 2008
:rotten: :rotten: [b][color=yellowgreen]1/2[/color][/b] (out of four)

[color=yellowgreen]This somewhat engrossing tale of three brothers and their entagled relationships with each other,thugs, co-workers, and lovers goes down a well traveled road with mostly expected results. There are some fine persformances, especially from the charimatic Nicolas Cazale. I just wish there would have been more original monents to carry the film through.[/color]
[color=#9acd32][/color]
May 22, 2008
they killled a dog early on in this movie and i shut it off. i can't stomach that kind of thing even on film when i know its not real. it sickens me.
½ May 4, 2008
What could have been a beautifully made movie turned out to be disconnected, at least for me. Three brothers struggle in life circumstance after their mother has died. The men are absolutely gorgeous is about all this movied had going for it.
February 14, 2006
Three Dancing Slaves (2005) - "Would you like me to shave your butt?" - Hicham

I don't know how this film got the USA title of "3 Dancing Slaves." Its European title works around the English phrase "The Clan," which is more appropriate to this story of three brothers whose Mom passed away when they were still growing up. One of the brothers, Olivier does practice a form of aerobic dance with his friend Hicham, but no one else will have anything to do with it. And no one is a slave, at least not in the conventional sense.

Set in a small mountain community in France, the film takes turns isolating on the three brothers (three chapters) and how they are perceived by each other. There's little to do in town, and less to do for work, so their existence is defined in their skill at hanging out and their commitment to each other, a necessary consequence of losing a parent that they all clearly worshipped. There's trouble with the father, but that's hardly news for brother's of their age: One of the brothers just got out of prison and will do what it takes to be a model citizen (rags on the father for how he's running the family), another is locked in a battle with an enemy in town that he can't seem to bring himself to finish (drives his father nuts by wasting his days), and the third, the youngest, grieves for the other two (and for the father as well).

A bit bizarre, I was assured that my feelings are a cultural thing, that the film is reasonably accurate. I read an article in USA Today where the author of the article tried to draw a comparison between relationships and personal choice. If there are little in the way of personal choices, you are a lot more tolerant of your relationships and more willing to open up to maintain those relationships: the brothers and their friends were close. They were all angry about the way things were, but close in their shared misery. That's how I viewed this film: choice vs. relationships. Only in 3 Slaves, it's when choice appears our of nothingness that things get interesting. That's when they had to decide which was more important. Whether they went for the opportunity or not, the brothers all ended up a little crazy from it.

Technically, not the greatest production, but a cool story that keeps growing on me.
March 14, 2012
Ahhh... reaizing manhood. Good coming of age viewing.
November 27, 2011
Wonderful, amazing story.
May 23, 2011
Interesting French movie about three working-class brothers living in Annecy.
February 5, 2011
I just happened to stumble Three Dancing Slaves after being in the mood to hear some people speak the French language, so I thought: why not?

And so, I went into watching this movie without any expectations about acting, or storytelling, or anything at all. I only knew that the movie centred around three brothers and their difficult lives they have to deal with. And while that is by no means an original concept, if done right, then brilliance comes out of it. There could be some great drama, acting, grit, and anything else that could be listed. Although, there was some grit and realism to it, as well as good acting, positive points don't run further than that.

The plot unfolds well enough for a coherent film and to develop characters, which Three Dancing Slaves does pretty well, but what I had a problem with were the stories. Being a coming of age story, it's hard to create something new to this genre of film. There's a formula at work even before the viewing of the final cut. We have assumptions. And usually those assumptions are correct.

Marc's section is a good opening 30 or so minutes. It establishes everything we need to know about the boys and their situation well. And we get to know how much an ass Marc can be. Is it he fault? Probably. Is he influenced by his environment? Most definitely. Marc is the 'problem child' as they say. He's the wild one, the one that is unpredictable and has chaos following along at his tail.

Overall, I think Marc's section was pretty alright. Nicolas Cazale plays crazy/uncontrollable well and it's a good set up into the next two stories. It kind of oversells that Marc is an untamed fellow, and the overemphasis of this is a little redundant and unnecessary. We're fed that he has a lot of conflict with others around him, as well as his inner struggles, but enough is enough really. His story though, is quite interesting.

Then comes Christophe, the eldest brother; the collected one, the one who's the foundation of the family, and he's come straight out of jail. If that's not a worn clichť... Anyway, the middle of the movie is usually where you can find the movie drag. The setup and end are more action-centred--although all parts of a movie should be interesting. Unfortunately, Christophe's third drags quite a bit.

Here, more of the family dynamics are explored. Their father, which we already knew from Marc, does not have the family in his control, and we see Christophe becoming the new alpha in the household. Sound familiar? While acting still is strong, nothing new is being added as a whole.

Then we get to the youngest brother, Olivier. Here, things start to get better. Olive, as Marc calls him, is able to converge the tenacity and audacity of Marc, and the sternness and severity Christophe to a nice emotionally filled point.

The softer side of the movie is shown in the last piece and it's nice. While Marc had to face unruly drug dealers, and Christophe dealt with the start of him becoming a family man, Olivier concludes us with a love-centric story. Again, it's nothing new, but after having to deal with the overly-zany Marc, and the authoritarian-esque Christophe, having an emotive, docile character thrown in is well-welcomed.

We find that all brothers are opposites, all acting and living in their own microcosms. They cope with their hardships differently, sometimes ending in a disaster, other times there is hope. Slaves depicts, what I assume is, a realistic portrayal of the hard times some families may actually have to deal with excellently. It features some good acting from the three leads, but that's about it. I give it a 4.5/10.
February 9, 2011
An abrupt weird ending left me wanting an ending with more storyline closer.
½ September 27, 2010
I wanted to see this movie for a long long time and I was not disappointed. I am really a big fan of director Gael Morel. Some very raw scenes be warned !!!! The only thing I hated was the ending I would love to have seen why brother Olivier choose to break up with Harim and choose another.....
June 26, 2010
Three pretty boys work out their angst against a backdrop of violence and drugs and lost shirts.
½ June 22, 2010
I have just finished watching this movie on logo website. It is slow paced and coming of age/adulthood for three brothers. I enjoy it because each brothers' issue (really, life at the moment) was explained. The acting was well from everyone.
½ January 27, 2010
pas assez de violence
October 23, 2009
Tourné à Annecy. Shot in Annecy, French Alps, thus good.
½ January 1, 2009
Oh my, I did not recognize Gael Morel was the one once in [Les Roseaux sauvages] ([The Wild Reeds]) & [Le Plus bel age...]. Morel was an actor at the beginning but then shifting to writing & directing till now. [A toute vitesse] ([Full Speed]) & [Apres lui] ([After Him], which I found a little bit lukewarm) are some off his writing + directing work, including this one.
I tend to love this one more as Morel had kept a good balance between hi-low drama & mere expression. The ending was particularly enchanting (plus Camille Rocailleux's wonderful usage of music, I simply love the "unknown one" at the ending credits).
Nicolas Cazale stood out among an appropriate cast (except a relatively greener & weaker Thomas Dumerchez then) as the sob-repressed, troublesome son.
½ December 27, 2008
Beautifully shot film with gorgeous cast. Emotionally charged throughout and often somewhat violent, with the three brothers dealing with the loss of their mother, and doing so in different ways.
½ December 13, 2008
:rotten: :rotten: [b][color=yellowgreen]1/2[/color][/b] (out of four)

[color=#9acd32][/color]
November 5, 2008
Beautiful boys and an ok story. Suspect subtitles - I suspect that the original language is better than the subtitles suggest.
½ October 5, 2008
This movie is beautiful to look at. The images followed me and affected my mood for a day or so after viewing. The acting and direction are okay.
August 1, 2008
I'm considering this a preliminary rating until I watch it again. The copy I had was damaged about 20 minutes in and I spent some time trying to fix it. Still, I liked the elliptical story-telling, the luminous cinematography and, of course, the incredibly attractive cast. Three Dancing Slaves presents three portraits of three brothers, excerpting non-overlapping periods in their interlocking lives. It's left a lovely taste in my mind, which is a good sign. Check it out.