Three the Hard Way - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Three the Hard Way Reviews

cosmo313
June 14, 2010
Jim Kelly, Jim Brown, and Fred Williamson star in an action film directed by Gordon Parks, Jr. with music by The Impressions!?!? HOLY SHIT!!! This sounds like a blaxploitation dream come true.

For as fun and entertaining as this movie is however, it is a disappointment since it is not the masterpiece it had the potential to be. That's a damn shame too. I still like this movie, even though it failed to live up to my expectations.

The plot involves a group of white supremacists who plot to town the water supplies of three major American cities. The substance they plan to use is lethal...only to African Americans. It's actually a pretty interesting idea. I now know where they came up with the similar plot used in Black Dynamite. The main issue with this film is the script itself. Things are pretty thin and undercooked ,and there's no real character developent. In fact, I can't really remember how the characters are supposed to be connected.

I should probably dock this one some more points, but the csst is good, and they're pretty likeable, and the action rocks. That, and the music is pretty hard to dislike as well. Overall, this is a fair enough action romp, even if it's flawed and leaves something to be desired.
January 30, 2016
An LA music producer (Jim Brown) runs afoul of a paramilitary organization that plans to kill every black person in America by introducing a disease to the water supply. They kill his buddy and kidnap his lady love (Sheila Frazier), but the bad guys didn't count on their quarry calling in a karate master (Jim Kelly) and a weapons expert (Fred WIlliamson) for backup. Three The Hard Way was directed by Gordon Parks Jr. after his success with Superfly and, while it didn't make as much impact, this blaxploitation effort is noteworthy for how its threadbare plot is strung up by frequent car chases, constant explosions, numerous gun fights, cheesy overacting, kung fu grappling, and a very bizarre pretext to feature topless women. Three The Hard Way is pulpy sleaze, but that's part of the fun.
½ November 17, 2010
Not the best movie, but it's got enough ridiculous explosions, karate and evil white supremacists getting their asses kicked by badass black dudes to be a hilariously good time. One of my favorite blaxploitation movies.
½ May 20, 2011
This one is a lot of fun. Many really memorable scenes and sparingly there's some truly impressive action. At one part a dude is pulled out of a moving truck and you see the stunt man REALLY fell out that truck and rolled. I miss stunt men and old school car chases and shit. The plot is 1-dimensional, but the movie flies by, despite nothing much really happening. If you're into blaxploitation, you need to see this.
March 6, 2010
This movie managed to actually touch me on a personal level, so this review will be rather biased. If you have looked through any of my other film reviews, you will know that I am quite keen on both martial arts and blaxploitation movies. While "Three the Hard Way" was dominately a blaxploitation film, it also featured martial arts performed by the legendary Jim Kelly. It was like the director tried to make this movie just for me. It featured Nazis, had great action sequences, and an awesome Funk soundtrack. So if you are like me and you like blaxploitation films, martial arts movies, and watching lots of Nazis get killed, this is the movie for you.