Three the Hard Way Reviews

cosmo313
June 14, 2010
Jim Kelly, Jim Brown, and Fred Williamson star in an action film directed by Gordon Parks, Jr. with music by The Impressions!?!? HOLY SHIT!!! This sounds like a blaxploitation dream come true.

For as fun and entertaining as this movie is however, it is a disappointment since it is not the masterpiece it had the potential to be. That's a damn shame too. I still like this movie, even though it failed to live up to my expectations.

The plot involves a group of white supremacists who plot to town the water supplies of three major American cities. The substance they plan to use is lethal...only to African Americans. It's actually a pretty interesting idea. I now know where they came up with the similar plot used in Black Dynamite. The main issue with this film is the script itself. Things are pretty thin and undercooked ,and there's no real character developent. In fact, I can't really remember how the characters are supposed to be connected.

I should probably dock this one some more points, but the csst is good, and they're pretty likeable, and the action rocks. That, and the music is pretty hard to dislike as well. Overall, this is a fair enough action romp, even if it's flawed and leaves something to be desired.
½ November 17, 2010
Not the best movie, but it's got enough ridiculous explosions, karate and evil white supremacists getting their asses kicked by badass black dudes to be a hilariously good time. One of my favorite blaxploitation movies.
½ May 20, 2011
This one is a lot of fun. Many really memorable scenes and sparingly there's some truly impressive action. At one part a dude is pulled out of a moving truck and you see the stunt man REALLY fell out that truck and rolled. I miss stunt men and old school car chases and shit. The plot is 1-dimensional, but the movie flies by, despite nothing much really happening. If you're into blaxploitation, you need to see this.
March 6, 2010
This movie managed to actually touch me on a personal level, so this review will be rather biased. If you have looked through any of my other film reviews, you will know that I am quite keen on both martial arts and blaxploitation movies. While "Three the Hard Way" was dominately a blaxploitation film, it also featured martial arts performed by the legendary Jim Kelly. It was like the director tried to make this movie just for me. It featured Nazis, had great action sequences, and an awesome Funk soundtrack. So if you are like me and you like blaxploitation films, martial arts movies, and watching lots of Nazis get killed, this is the movie for you.