Thunder Bay - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thunder Bay Reviews

½ June 16, 2009
Solid drama with an exceptional performance from Jimmy Stewart. He is such a versatile actor. The supporting cast is fine as well. Good plot, interesting story and surprisingly not out of date. Great pace, just the right length.
½ August 20, 2005
[font=Arial]about louisana offshore drilling vs fishermen. technicolor, jimmy stewart. predictable but not bad.[/font]
½ May 11, 2005
March 22, 2015
a thriller that isn't so thrilling; a romance that isn't so romantic; a social drama that isn't too dramatic. Yet with Stewart, it is still enjoyable
October 19, 2014
WOW.....WOW.....WOW....WOW....WOW....BRILLIANT....AMAZING....GENIUS.....FANTASTIC.....SO SO SO SO BRILLIANT.....MAN I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie....I think that james stewart (.R.I.P.), gilbert roland (.R.I.P.), joanne dru (.R.I.P.), dan Duryea (.R.I.P.), Marcia Henderson, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this drama/action/adventure movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch......I think that james stewart was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie.....

Production Dates: late September to mid-November 1952
Filmed in 1.37 to 1 aspect ratio
Released in 1.85 to 1 widescreen aspect ratio
The film marked Universal's first use of stereophonic sound, which at the time was presentable only in select theaters. Some contemporary reviewers complained that the sound, with its use of three speakers, was loud and distracting.
Originally planned to be photographed in 3-D
Most of the picture was shot in Morgan City, LA, and some scenes were shot in New Orleans and on an oil-drilling barge thirty miles out in the Gulf of Mexico
While filming scenes on location in Louisiana, Dan Duryea slipped and fell from the roof of a tugboat (which appears throughout the film). He suffered a broken rib, contusion and bruises, but was able to continue filming after a day or two of rest

The film is available as a standalone on VHS. Included in the James Stewart: Screen Legend Collection DVD box set (1.33:1 aspect ratio)

'The Top Box Office Hits of 1953', Variety, January 13, 1954
2.Jump up ^ Oct. 17, 1952 Article from Nevada State Journal

man this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....man this is such a fantastic classics movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.....man some of the scenes throughout this movie were really funny 2 watch, but I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie man this is such a highly entertaining movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, with a brilliant cast throughout this movie....its got good fight scenes throughout this movie.....WARNING THIS MOVIE COTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......man this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, it is such a classics movie 2 watch it is such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....man this is such a classics movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ January 12, 2010
It was a decent story and different from any other movie I've ever scene. It was really interesting to see Jimmy Stewart act angry at a couple points. He usually plays a pretty easy-going guy so it was nice to see him pull that off.
½ June 16, 2009
March 3, 2009
A good story about the early days of off shore oil drilling
August 23, 2008
There isn't really a great story here to tell. All the fishermen seem to be foreign old fashioned steroetypes stopping progress as personified by the all american Stewart. But Stewart is always reliable.
½ May 29, 2008
Something going on with the building of an oil drill platform and the local fishermen and their shrimp shortage, sounds exciting i know and if it wasn't Jimmy Stewart who was in it i would probably call it shit.
April 12, 2008
Slightly formulaic, but the theme is a little bit different, certainly in Stewart's back catalogue at least.
March 5, 2008
Another collaboration between Stewart/Mann but a lesser known effort. Featuring a pro-oil drilling stance and making the local fishermen look like petulant, opinionated fools, this is a little hard to swallow - but after a tragic event the pay-off is one that makes all parties happy. Stewart is driven and sometimes dislikeable (as he often was in the Mann-helmed movies) but ultimately decent enough to win the heart of the local love interest.
½ August 20, 2005