Thunder Soul Reviews

½ July 29, 2014
This heartfelt doc is available on Netflix. This is the story of a real life Mr. Holland's Opus. With lots of archival footage and recordings and present day interviews this film illustrates the impact one music teacher had over 35 years. "Prof" turned a high school jazz band in the mid to late 70s into an award winning, touring, album making funk band. Great music throughout! Now, alumni from the band reunite to honor "Prof" at a Kashmere High School tribute concert. You probably lack a soul if you don't shed at least a few tears.
June 3, 2012
I skipped school to go see a movie and nothing good was playing so i saw this and had no idea what it was and i have to say, i walked out with a smile on my face and even some tears too.
December 27, 2012
Wonderful documentary of a an award-winning all-black high school band whose director fused funk with the more pedestrian stage band conventions of the time to create a new and life changing group.
½ September 7, 2012
Something more for lifetime? lol
June 23, 2012
One of the best movies I've seen. Totally unexpectedly. I would never even wanted to go to watch it if I knew the script. Outstanding movie
April 2, 2012
how can i download movies pls, can any one send a link
March 24, 2012
Teacher and father figure to high school band students, Prof Johnson lives in the hearts of his students forever.
½ December 16, 2011
one of a rare set of documentaries that straddles the line between heartfelt and melodramatic, but never crosses it. a feel good, true story, filled with incredible characters. this is an enjoyable piece of film.
November 21, 2011
A winning film that went nowhere fast! Everyone should view this feel-good, funky, gem of a documentary. Conrad "Prof" Johnson is a teacher that every educator wishes to aspire to be. Makes me wish I joined the band when I was in high school! The dvd comes out in January 2012 and you can stream it on Netflix at the same time. MUST-SEE FILM!
October 10, 2011
DOCUMENTARY.....WORTH YOUR TIME AND MONEY....EASY!!! GREAT DOC.
October 8, 2011
One of the most powerful documentaries I've ever seen, this film beautifully illustrates the extraordinary power of a true teacher who changed his students' world through music. The level of performance is mind-boggling (forget that these are high school students, then 30+ year alumni - many of whom hadn't played since the mid '70s). The devotion and love they feel for their teacher and for each other is as moving as the music is amazing. As a film it leaves some questions unanswered-- you want it to be longer, to go further behind the scenes of the band's history and people's lives. But it's an unforgettable experience.
½ October 2, 2011
Thunder Soul is a documentary about an all-black Houston inner city high school that had a "stage band" that won all kinds of music awards, then travelled to Europe and Japan. It is fabulous. If it's playing near you go see it and you will be thrilled!
October 1, 2011
this looks incredible.
½ September 30, 2011
"Thundersoul" is everything that you need it to be- funny, touching, entertaining, bittersweet and still upbeat.
September 26, 2011
Wonderful movie. "Fire any administrator who wants to take music out of school". Greatest line ever in a movie. The entire school rose in unison. All black and highest college rate of any HISD school at the time. New chief strangled the band and all downhill ever since for Kashmere.

Arne Duncan should watch!
September 24, 2011
Simply the best documentary I have ever witnessed. I highly recommend this movie to educators, public officials, non-profits, any and every body. The difference one person made for a school, community, city, and nation. See this movie!!!
September 23, 2011