Thursday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thursday Reviews

½ January 27, 2009
fascinating, original black comedy that jump started the careers of superstar Paulina Porizkova(Intern, female perversions) and a-list director Skip Woods (Thursday). needless to say this is a very funny black comedy that is not only fascinating, but original. Also known as the film that influenced QuentinTarantino to write Pulp Fiction!
½ April 8, 2012
One of the many Tarentino rip-offs of the 90s, but definitely one of the good ones. Good work from all involved, especially Aaron Eckhart and Michael Jeter, the always underappreciated character actor. The script and storyline had strong elements of black comedy, and the multiple storylines were put together pretty cohesively, though some were definitely stronger than others. The violence was incredibly graphic, yet it was consistently so, and seemed befitting of the tone. It certainly doesn't have the same polish of a Tarantino vehicle but has enough good elements to make it an interesting ride.

3.5/5 Stars
stevetheman1236
August 14, 2011
A droll, dreary, and distasteful mess. Violence in cinema is fine, as long as there is reason to use it. Thursday presents brutal violence without reason. It just throws it onto the screen and tries to tone it down by adding a funny joke at the end. That, sir, is not black comedy.
November 29, 2011
½ August 12, 2015
Before he was The Punisher & his partner became Two Face they teamed up for this comedic gangster flick. The opening scene is one of my all time favorites, especially the letter jacket worn by that hot ass cunt! (If you haven't seen it don't get pissy about the use of the C-word) With his first try out the gates writer/director Skip Woods prematurely makes up for A Good Day to Die Hard...... but I'm still not giving him a pass on Wolverine!
½ January 16, 2015
I wouldn't dislike all of Skip Woods' work so much if he would just try to do something original. I watch this movie and I have no reaction. That's the worst thing a filmmaker can do: make a film that has nothing to say. Its clear that Skip Woods was just one of many filmmakers who saw "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs," and thought that he had to make his best effort at copying every nuance of Tarantino rather than trying to be his own artist to be successful. Its not a bad movie. Its not a good movie either. Its just nothing. But I keep hanging in there. Skip Woods may have written some of the worst scripts of the last decade, but I keep holding out that one day he'll impress me.
½ September 30, 2014
Great self control.

Nick is a low level drug dealer who has settled down, gotten married, and now lays low. He is unhappily married with a complex relationship. One day he, an ex-girlfriend, and a hitman foil a robbery and shoot the clerk. Nick becomes paranoid and when he discovers his ex-girlfriend has a bunch of dope, he flushes it down the toilet. That leads to a pist-off supplier, customers, and a rogue police officer. Nick's situation couldn't get much worse.

"I do love you, but you're boring the shit out of me."

Skip Woods delivers Thursday in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture feels a little like True Romance mixed with Savages. There is a cool sense of style mixed with violence and charismatic characters throughout this film. The acting is fun and fits the content well. The cast includes Thomas Jane, Aaron Eckhart, Mickey Rourke, Paulina, Porizkova, and Paula Marshall.

"They got the wrong house!"

Thursday is a movie I came across while looking at recommendations on Netflix. I am a huge Mickey Rourke fan (he has a bit part) and Thomas Jane usually makes entertaining flicks. This was a fun stylistic movie that has some unique elements; but much like Savages, trips over itself in a few scenes. Overall, I do recommend seeing this film, but I wouldn't add it to my DVD collection.

"CUNT"

Grade: C+/B-
May 6, 2009
Fantastic caper film with great performances. Darkly comic in tone, but a must watch for fans of Tarantino, Coen Brothers, Guy Ritchie, etc.
January 22, 2013
One of those cool indie movies featuring awesome actors before they were famous. I wish my flicks were like this.
January 17, 2013
This reeks of Tarantino, with multiple scenes which reminding me of Pulp Fiction. But it's a highly entertaining clone, so it's all good.
November 19, 2012
All kinds of potential, poor execution. That being said, I did chuckle a few times and it was fairly entertaining (even though disappointing at the same time).

It felt too mechanical. The acting was off. Nobody pulled off their roles except for Rourke, and Porizkova came close.

It's like Tarantino came up with an outline for a movie. The Helen Keller filled in the details, including casting.
July 8, 2012
A mediocre example of the post-Pulp fiction crime film style which manages to be reasonably entertaining.
October 31, 2007
Seems to think that shock value equates with.hipness. It doesn't, and this gangster movie tries to hard to be funny.
½ December 2, 2010
A pretty fun when shit hits the fan after gangster turns good movie. Thomas Jane is great. I would remember more if the movie wasn't out of print and the few copies in existence didn't cost 200 bucks on ebay
September 5, 2010
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

I am really on the fence with this one but I just can't quite recommend it. I found it to be interesting but there were just one too many coincidences and characters that pop out of nowhere that made me roll my eyes. I will probably take a second look at this in the near future but this is where I stand right now.
½ April 9, 2010
A vulgar, bloody guilty pleasure paradise of a movie. While things kinda go downhill during the third act, I couldn't help but realize that this is the kind of harsh, post-Tarantino, 90s crime drama that they just don't make anymore.
April 14, 2009
I love this movie you will be on the edge of your seat and if you have not seen it then its about time!
February 18, 2008