Time Masters (Les Maîtres du temps) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Time Masters (Les Maîtres du temps) Reviews

½ December 21, 2014
An uneven sci-fi animation with a great electronic score but which, in an effort to explore its universe in different plot lines as in a road movie, ends up losing some of its focus - and the ending also feels a bit inconsistent and frustrating, even if it is surprising.
lesleyanorton
September 5, 2009
Fantastic Planet lite. Very watchable, but not can't-tear-my-eyes-away-for-fear-I-miss-something watchable.
October 23, 2014
30 years ago French filmmaker René Laloux made a series of very strange animated films. His little seen 'Time Masters' is a frequently perplexing undoubtedly uncanny work that should make an interesting watch for the adventurous viewer
½ February 27, 2014
featuring a meandering plot that lacks in any sort of direction, Time Masters is one dull space opera.
April 13, 2012
The intensely grim background to a dozen childhood summer holidays of my youth. Time Masters is an English dub of a French animation that got played on the BBC often during the 80's. The plot centers around an orphaned boy lost on a remote planet with an egg like communicator, which he uses to speaks to crew of a spaceship now on a mission to rescue him from large hornet like creatures. Aboard the ship is Jaffar the pilot, an old man, a prince and princess, 2 emotion sensitive aliens. Annoyingly the English dub has never been released on DVD, which was done by the BBC as part of the joint venture.
August 26, 2010
yes it s old and the animation is outdated and it s really short but if you can realize that you r watching a 30 yrs old movie and ignore those things mentioned above you ll love it.
½ January 22, 2010
There are a few interesting concepts, some cool music, and an ending that I didn't see coming at all. Not much else worth praising here. I hate the Moebius style and it's one reason why I can't stand Heavy Metal. It all looks like a cheap Saturday morning cartoon, and his idea of science fiction seems to be just throwing random stuff together without any sense of meaning or history behind it. And this whole film feels like a quick cash grab to capitalize on the Star Wars sci-fi bandwagon.
½ April 26, 2009
This may be my favorite Laloux film, the Moebius character designs are instantly eye catching, and they merge perfectly with the alien Dali like landscapes Laloux is so well known for.

"Time Masters" is a french animated sci-fi adventure story, that begins midchase, and careens towards a "La Jette" like twist, that mostly makes sense, and involves "time colonization".

A boy and his father race along on an alien planet and crash their vehicle, the father sends his son out with a communication device and tells him to do whatever it says. The boy is 5 years olf and the device is a transmitter to a ship across the Galaxy, captained by a freind of the boys father, who informs him they were attacked by an indigenous race of beetle creatures; his wife is dead, he is dying, and his son will be soon too, unless they can save him. For now the boy is safe beneath a part of the forest whose flowers act as a natural repellent to the creatures. The ships captain decides to deviate from his course of helping an embezzler Prince escape capture, and save the boy. Along the way they pick up a guide, whose been to the planet before and narrowly escaped the creatures, and two faceless psychic pixe like creatures, the kind you would find in a Miyazake movie. Meanwhile, They Prince is attempting to lead the boy astray on the communicator, and has to escape when the rest of the crew finds out. The captain pursues him to a planet of faceless angel like creatures who share a single conciousness planet wide, and who assimilate all life into themselves...Later still there are the "Time Masters" , who colonize planets by disloding them in time temporarily, hurling whole civilizations back into times when they would have been easier to conquer and with greater stores of resources.

Time Masters is wonderfully rendered space opera, with as always with Laloux, clever allegorical and political subtext, tucked in next to the sumptous lingering images of the creatures and places which only exist in his films. I think with this, "Fantastic Planet", and "Light Years", Ive now seen all hia feature films. Sad really, Laloux is up there with Miyazake, Svanjkmajer, and Chuck Jones, as the the great craftsman of his medium.
March 23, 2008
Yeah, this is beautiful. It has this cold, austere element which I guess could alienate some viewers. But visually it's great and the score is unbelievable, it's high concept animation that's really for adults but can work on a lower level for children too. I would have be mesmerized by this if I'd seen it as a child. Oh and the song 'Astro Guzzler' is pretty awesome to boot.
½ January 5, 2015
Surrealist French animated sci-fi from the hand of Moebius, one of underground comics' most revered figures. Plodding but beautiful, it's generally best appreciated as an idea showcase and not necessarily a coherent story. Like a lot of his works, it's often inaccessible and tangential, more concerned with spotlighting the intrinsic weirdness of alien life than with shuffling the plot along. That slow, nonplussed tempo can be confusing, especially as a rescue party takes their time to splash about in a swimming pool and enjoy drinks while their quarry, a stranded young boy, fights nature alone on an uncharted planet. None of the cast, universally blasé and dull, seems overly concerned or motivated to chase their fates, and that irreparably wounds the big picture. Even the artwork, upon which many earlier Moebius works have hung their hats, seems rushed and incomplete. It does capture the general tone of the old master's trademarked style, but none of his precision or smooth, elegant linework. An interesting experiment either way, but not one I'm in a rush to revisit.
½ December 21, 2014
October 23, 2014
August 22, 2014
A real masterpiece, with a mind blowing story and nice animation.
July 8, 2014
this was a film that shaped my idea of scifi when i was younger it is something that has never left me.
this is a film about a journey to save a child called Peal and on the way the crew get involved in many different adventures. the only way they can speak to him is through a communication devise they call mick.
i know you can get this film in both English and french
½ February 27, 2014
April 5, 2013
For the young at heart... And the europhiles.
½ February 20, 2013
Easily the worst of Laloux's films. Not as visually impressive at the others and completely incomprehensible.
½ December 29, 2012
First time I saw this cartoon when I was a kid around 6 years old. Second time after around 30 years. Usually old movies is quite silly or funny (again, in a silly way) when you re-watching them after couple decades, but this one still strong one
April 30, 2012
Another bizarre French sci-fi film by René Laloux. It's similar to Fantastic Planet, but not nearly as interesting. I watched it mainly because Moebius worked on it, and you can definitely see his influence. The animation is really dated though, and in many places reminded me of 80's Saturday morning cartoons from Filmation. The characters were really imaginative though, and definitely were the highlight of the film... especially the two mind-reading shape-shifting dwarves Yula and Jad.
April 13, 2012