91% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Time Out (L' Emploi du temps) Reviews

Dan S

May 21, 2011
A beautiful, haunting piece of social realism, concerning an unemployed father who lies to his family about his new job, as well as to close friends who he tricks into giving their money for a made-up investment plan. While admittedly slow-paced and definitely not for all tastes, director Laurent Cantet never, for one second, drifts into melodrama like some dramas with subject matter like this sometimes do. With the exception of the pace of the film, this thing is nearly perfect, with a riveting last twenty minutes that contain a powerful, unexpected conclusion that you won't see coming. If anything, this deserves to be seen due to the current state of the economy, as it does its best to humanize any potential monsters, since in the end you do care about Vincent, even if he does do some horrendous things throughout the movie.
John B

November 23, 2012
A great French drama. Why do they have it listed as a documentary here? This thing isn't a damn documentary. Aurelien Recoing is fantastic as the man who seeks to hide the truth from his family as a matter of pride.
Stephen E

October 15, 2012
The first hour of "Time Out" is the most involving portion of the film; after that, it settles into a pretty basic formula that's predictable yet still intriguing. Laurent Cantent's moody direction mixed with documentary-style camerawork and Aurelien Recoing's quiet, captivating central performance make watching the film a hauntingly effective experience. When it's all said and done, "Time Out" doesn't seem to have much of a point to it and the ending isn't as satisfying as I would have hoped for, but it's quite possibly one of the best dramatic pieces this side of the year 2000.
December 27, 2012
More than the plot, this movie works because it succeeds in creating an atmosphere of constantly being an outsider, left out from the rest of the normal world.
April 23, 2013
I got this movie and kept putting off watching it. I would look at the cover and just not feel up to French, psychological, and introspective. I am so glad I did finally watch it. I'd read it was based on the true story of a man who pretended to be a doctor while unemployed. When his family found ...read morehim out, he killed them and tried to make it look like a fire. Being American, I was expecting violence and in-your-face manipulation and narcissism. But the film takes the premise of a man trapped in his own lies and increasingly over his head and leaves out the sensational gore. I've read people describe it as "creepy" many times, but I don't know that's the word I'd use. I felt sick for the main character and his family. Vincent and his wife are repressing so much, both afraid and on edge while pretending otherwise, but you feel their humanity and love for each other in quiet, tender moments. There is none of the explosiveness of the real-life story; it's more of an implosion. Time Out is slow-moving but with building tension. You have no idea what's going to happen and it for me it brought up many emotions not clearly definable. The last scene I found one of the most moving film moments, made all the more painful by how realistic it is, how "un-movie-like."
Stephen E

October 15, 2012
February 23, 2012
The synopsis sounds very interesting. The movie...not exactly.
Bunch of creepy people everywhere.
Hal
February 10, 2012
A businessman has lost his job but can't quite admit it to those nearest and dearest, so he begins to prevaricate ("I'm going to get a job in a foreign country...yeah...I got it!...working for a Liberal Politically Correct Charity!"). Lie heaps upon lie. His nearest and dearest become suspicious. Pressure builds! Laurent Cantet does a great job in directing--cinematography, acting. Yet the story by Robin Campillo, with a Cantet co-credit, fails sadly. With so much build-up of suspense we REQUIRE a major payoff. There is none. Just a sort of epilogue as to what eventually happens to whatshizname. The air goes out of the balloon.
Dan S

May 21, 2011
Rodstar
October 26, 2010
This film is incredibly unsettling, but achieves this mood in such a subtle way. As with Vincent's family, the viewer is also in the dark about Vincent's double life and the depth of his mid-life crisis. The haunting and affecting score is used effectively and the performances are brilliantly understated. This is a masterful piece of French Cinema which had unfortunatley slipped under my radar.
pinkyfoo
August 16, 2010
A slow but mesmerizing masterpiece with a great lead performance.
codysmith6
August 16, 2010
This film was such a subtle portrayal of one man's personal devastation that it had to linger a while before I realized the affect it had on me. I guess I'm used to more over-the-top portrayals of men on the brink of psychological breakdown. Anyway, this one's a cleverly drawn out account and perhaps a more genuine observation than we generally see on the screen. It documents the struggles of a man we at first don't understand, and then hate, and then finally empathize with. The interactive quality of the narrative is a perfect compliment to the life we see slowly spiraling out of control before us. Great movie. I'm sure I will appreciate it even more the second time through.
dfwforeignbuff
August 16, 2010
Time Out (2001) A middle-aged middle class family man has a mid-life crisis. The film tells the story of Vincent, a middle-aged man who is laid off after having spent more than 11 years working for a prestigious consulting firm. Unable to admit to his family that he has been fired, the unemployed executive continues to pretend he is going to the office every day. In reality, Vincent spends his time aimlessly driving the highways of France and Switzerland, reading papers, or sleeping in his car. As the movie progresses, the protagonist invents more and more elaborate lies, throwing himself into a vicious spiral of deceit. To sustain his bourgeois lifestyle, Vincent sets up an investment scam and is eventually enlisted into smuggling by career thief Jean-Michel. The 132-minute long film ends when Murielle (Vincent's wife), discovering her husband's "life of lies," attempts to bring him back into the realm of reality. The final scene, however, suggests that her efforts have failed. Through Cantet, a combination of economic script, astonishingly sparse and subtle performances, and Pook's deeply moving musical score, takes the viewer on a journey of displaced despair and futile attempts to paper over the cracks. The director relies upon our intelligence to decipher clues in the film rather than drowning us in a flood of redundant exposition. An interesting fact is that the performers in "Time Out" are not professionals. Director Cantet enabled the cast to have input into their dialogue, a process that adds to the film's uncanny naturalness. This film got a lot of rave reviews. It just to sparse and slow for my taste. I barely made it to the end of the movie. Boring!! 2 or 3 stars
smtria
August 16, 2010
I blind rented this gem at blockbuster video. the premise is simple, a man loses his job and cannot face the reality of it. he maintains the facade of working to his family and friends while he drives around all day in his car listening to the radio. however, in order to keep the ruse going he must find a way to produce income and this brings him on the brink of moral bankruptcy. his values and sanity are both tested by surpressing the growing number of lies. his double life gets more and more difficult and the truth begins to close in on him. on the surface, this is not an enticing story, but it is incredibly well done and had me riveted. one of the best i've seen in a while.