• Timeline

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Timeline Reviews

Red L

April 9, 2013
I like time travel movies, but this one leaves a bit to be desired. Usually when I watch a time travel movie, I imagine how cool it would be to be in their place - to find out some lost history or to be the wise character (with all your future knowledge), but it would not have been fun to live back in 1357.
Apeneck F

September 5, 2012
Some archaeologists realise their dream and get to travel back in time, only things don't go as well as they'd've hoped. With a loud music score and lots of running and chasing going on I had the impression that Donner barely tries to hide that one is actually watching an old silent movie serial updated with modern gee whiz technology. Soooo dumb I was almost insulted.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

August 15, 2007
A pretty forgettable film that goes nowhere fast.
garyX
garyX

April 29, 2007
When a group of archaeologists are sent back to the past to locate their missing mentor they are caught up in the seige of the castle they were excavating during the hundred years war. Timeline was on the receiving end of a critical savaging upon its release but I can't for the life of me see why. It's predictable, corny and the plot is about as plausible as Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure, but it's a Hollywood family friendly adventure so of course it is. Richard Donner has proved time and again he is more than capable of producing entertaining, tongue in cheek light entertainment and Michael Crichton's story is just more of his usual brand of theme-park-meets-history that goes down so well the rest of the time. The set pieces are fun, the swashbuckling well executed and the characters are all perfectly likable (with the possible exception of the gratuitous yank sleepwalked by Paul Walker). A perfectly servicable if forgettable family adventure that's no worse than many others of its ilk; if you liked A Knight's Tale, you'll probably like this too.
EightThirty .

July 13, 2010
11/07/2010 (TELEVISION)

I caught this on TV the other night and decided to watch it. I saw this years back and I remembered that it was good.

It is quite interesting and from what I know I think it is also a novel. If this is a novel then I have no doubt the book was better and after watching the film, I can tell that it's got to be a great read.

An alright choice for the "I have nothing better to do" occasions.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 5, 2007
Well, I ruined most of the enjoyment from this movie by reading the book. It of course was way better. It all felt a bit rushed, and they kinda changed the entire story of alternate dimensions and what not for simplicity reasons, which was why it was interesting to begin with. Points added for having Billy Connolly, Butler and Sheen in it. The time travel paradoxes are out of control, but hey it's just a movie.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
There's no way that this could ever be fixed to be a great film, but it does have it's ups to it, and I think they overcome most of the failed scenes!
jjnxn
jjnxn

May 1, 2007
Mindless piffle in which talented actors like Michael Sheen, Gerard Butler and Frances O'Connor collect a paycheck for pretending that the ridiculous storyline has some kind of validity. But if you're just looking for something actiony that doesn't have to make sense, here ya go.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
I can't even begin with how much I hate this movie. Let's start with the cast, Paul Walker and Gerard Butler. Two blockheads who can barely talk, I thought Vin Diesel and Paul Walker was the worst it could get. Then the script, thanks for destroying one of Michael Chrichton's best books. The plot was torn to shit and how is Paul Walker supposed to be taken seriously as a scientist? If that's the IQ of scientists now, everyone's in serious trouble.
Luke B

August 29, 2009
This film seems a lot older than 2003. Not in a bad way, the feel is very much cheesy 90's blockbuster, in a retro nostalgic kind of way. Perhaps not quite the big blockbuster it was trying to be, Timeline is still an enjoyable romping adventure. The time travel aspects are so-so, just an excuse for some action. I liked the beginning, with a man returning and dying with his body slightly out of line. Perhaps this could have worked better as a conspiracy/mystery as those opening minutes are the best. The film does well to avoid that irritating "time" humour that invades most time-travel films. It's also interesting to watch now, with a cast that went on to much bigger and better things, mainly Sheen and Butler, giving impressive performances that obviously went some way towards them being noticed.
DerekA101
DerekA101

May 23, 2008
I will admit, this movie had a lot of potential, and the book was wonderful (RIP in Michael Crichton). But this movie falls heavily short of expectations.

Timeline is about a group of young archaeologists who travel back in time to 1357 France to rescue their professor. They travel back in time with the help of a secret experimental organization (ITC I think it was called).

Realistic? By no means...

Fun and entertaining? Could've been.

What ensues is a boring plot of so-called "action." However, I will admit, the arrow battle in the end was a great scene, but the hand-to-hand battle that followed was horribly acted, short, boring, and pathetic. There was never a final climatic battle between the main antagonist and the main protagonist... hell, for that matter, the main villain in this movie wasn't even believable nor intimidating. All the characters were cardboard cutouts which is disappointing because the storyline was fairly interesting.

One bright spot out of the whole movie was the acting of Gerard Butler who played Marek. If the movie would've been centered around his character, and gone more into detail about his love and desire for medieval leisures (like joisting, sword fighting, bow-and-arrows, etc), and maybe even giving him a bigger more powerful role, then this movie would've been 10 times better.

Paul Walker easily gave the worst performance, but he was poorly cast because his character played such a small role. He seemed to overact to compensate for such short air time, but it was all-around awful.

This movie is worth watching if you're into medieval films, but it will leave you with no desire to watch it again. Just don't expect too much.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 27, 2008
Saw this movie when it came out in theathers, and then saw it again today. It was far better today, maybe it was the company (ex-wife). Anyway Costumes were great and kept you on the edge of your seat, ashame this type travel isn't possible, I am ready to go.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 27, 2007
Entertaining enough to be worth the watch, but that's mainly because I'm a sucker for time travel stories in general. I should probably have read the book by Michael Chrichton instead though, which I'm sure is a lot better and makes way more sense. But all in all, this movie version was okay. Just be sure to leave your brain at the door.
Dean !

June 15, 2007
Not quite as good as I was expecting, feels pretty low budget to be honest. It has a good cast, nice idea but all to predictable to be honest.
vieras e

May 5, 2007
First of all, I haven't read the book so I cannot compare this film to it.

A decent film, but a bit predictable when it came to the sarcophagus. (Still, I awwed at his joy when his ear got cut off.)
Megan S

March 26, 2007
The book was WONDERFUL. I didn't have high expectations for the movie since it starred Paul Walker, but it didn't even live up to those expectations. It was kind of obvious that the book wouldn't translate well to film. I kept waiting for Paul Walker's character to say "Whoa!"
Jason S

January 9, 2007
Read the book. Don't waste your time on the movie.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 9, 2007
the script was terrible, holes everywhere
Naughtia
Naughtia

May 15, 2010
I liked this movie very much because I'm aways fascinated of time travel movies. This movie will not disappoint you and the presence of Paul Walker, Billy Connolly and Gerard Butler is marvellous.
Daniel P

November 12, 2006
The dodgiest Scottish accent I've ever heard on film, courtesey of the usually ok Paul Walker. Oh, and the story is terrible, the characters are awful, the direction a mess and the ending sucks. Worst Michael Crichton adaption ever!