Tin Toy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tin Toy Reviews

½ July 9, 2009
It's wonderful to watch a short animated movie like Tin Toy and then watch one like Geri's Game or For The Birds, because you can really see how far Pixar has come over the years. In Toy Story, one of the things that they never got quite right was the look of human faces, but it is clear after watching Tin Toy that they have really improved in that area as well. What you have in Tin Toy is an extremely simple story of a new toy that is at first fascinated but soon understandably horrified by the hideously misshapen baby that he sees terrorizing toys all around him. Besides foreshadowing a huge amount of the plot of the later Toy Story, this short movie also contains a lot of symbolism and adheres to a story structure that dates back to medieval literature. One of the more appealing things about this short movie is the closeness with which it portrays real children. Even the child's momentary pause before sneezing is surprisingly realistic, but there are also behavioral things that are captured here. Tin Toy is not terribly remarkable compared to the later movies from Pixar, but from shorts like Tin Toy it can be seen that they have always worked very closely within this particular genre.
November 10, 2012
Pixar's most famous animated short, released before Toy Story in 1995. It's a 5-minute short about Tinny, a marching band toy who desperately tries to escape the clutches of a young baby who wants to play with him. But after the baby falls, Tinny feels as if he should help him and just get played with after all.
Tin Toy is a very amateur short from Pixar. Since it is one of the first, it has somewhat crude animation as many consider the baby to be creepy looking, which I have to agree on. There's no speech in the film which is usual for Pixar but in this case, is bad for the film. It's not one of Pixar's best but definitely one of their more popular shorts. It's just the beginning for Pixar, though.
½ April 23, 2012
I see the meaning of the story, but did they have to make the baby so creepy? Good thing we have Toy Story. 1.5/5
January 2, 2012
"Tin Toy" is clearly one of the inspirations for what "Toy Story" eventually became. It is a short about a little tin marching band soldier being terrorized by a giant monster...a baby. It was Pixar's first attempt at making a human character, and while the results are mixed, they are certainly important stepping stones in getting better looking humans as seen in later CG features. The short is also funny and entertaining! Which is obviously the most important aspect of any movie like this.
August 9, 2009
This one is like an early version of Toy Story. Cute. Actually made me feel sorry for the main character...
July 5, 2015
That's a creepy-ass baby
February 21, 2015
I suppose that this was very advanced animation in 1989. It's nothing these days. It's a nothing story but I'm guessing that Toy Story sprang up from this seed so respect due.
July 17, 2014
It's a pixar short so it's hard not to love. Though it's not my favorite, it's nice to watch and has a positive and happy ending.
½ April 24, 2013
It is interesting to see the primitive Pixar in what surely proved to be a major stepping stone towards Toy Story.
November 10, 2012
½ April 23, 2012
January 2, 2012
½ October 22, 2011
How disturbing! Killer babies! Charming and funny even if it is a short little tester project from Pixar.
August 4, 2011
The perfect slasher or monster movie, that baby is freakin creepy, but ultimately misunderstood by the toys under the sofa, and tin toy plucked up the courage to defeat the giant diaper of doom.
½ July 25, 2011
OH MY GOD THAT BABY IS THE SCARIEST LOOKING BABY EVER!!!That baby is what nightmares are made of!!!!Pixar...you've come a long way!
EWW THE DROOL! It is like it's own living thing!
And when it stands up! HOLY MOLY! Watch out Tinny robo baby is coming to get you! The story is cute and I have to rate it high for the humor and the sheer scare factor of the baby. Awwwwww. Would have warmed my heart a little more if the baby wasn't a demon :p
LMFAO an extra star for the jealousy aspect in the end :p
June 24, 2011
A funny short film from Pixar showing that you've got to be careful what you wish for. No wonder why the film won an Academy Award.
June 2, 2011
The baby is plain horrific and badly animated, but the rest of "Tin Toy" is quite cute. Just a slight indication of what was yet to come.