• R, 1 hr. 50 min.

58% Bad Teacher: Season 1
44% Power: Season 1

Tin Men Reviews

August 26, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]"Tin Men" takes place in Baltimore, 1963. Minutes after purchasing a brand new Cadillac, successful aluminum siding salesman, BIll 'BB' Babowsky(Richard Dreyfuss), gets into an accident with a rival aluminum siding salesman, Ernest Tilley(Danny Devito), driving his own Cadillac.(I always thought Baltimore was a fairly large city, myself.) Large egos are involved, so vengeance is sworn but since there is an absolute lack of maturity, it's not really in an Old Testament kind of way.(If this was a less civilized time, then dueling would have definitely been an option.) The stakes are raised and this comes to include Tilley's neglected wife, Nora(Barbara Hershey)...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Writer/director Barry Levinson has a great eye for detail but the story is broadly drawn and hardly believable. For example, Babowsky is nearing middle-age and a bachelor when such things were frowned upon. (I found it hard to believe that in 1963 nobody was talking about starting a family and all of the men seem interested in living a mythic "Rat Pack" kind of lifestyle.) And I have no sympathy for a group of grown men who act like 10-year olds. All of which is a shame because a great supporting cast including John Mahoney, JT Walsh and Seymour Cassel is wasted. Barbara Hershey is by far the best thing in "Tin Men" but she is not in enough of the movie. [/font]
wswindrem
December 13, 2010
I made a special point of seeing this while I had a temporary job as a telemarketer! I wasn't disappointed!
texassuda
May 21, 2008
This was a wonderful movie. I love all the actors in this, not to mention "The Fine Young Cannibals" music! Who could ask for anything more?
filmguy55
November 11, 2007
A very overlooked comedy. The acting and directing here is so well done and witty. Look this one up.
elisaroberts
January 26, 2007
I observed this film several times, and I am always amused. The costumes, the hairstyles and and the general glance of Baltimore are lit died and transported me well again at this era.
August 2, 2012
i really enjoyed watching the juvenile getting even battle between danny devito and richard dreyfuss in "tin men". the film's dialogue is so natural and often humorous. director barry levinson did a great job with this one and i'd say it ranks up there with some of his best work.
Matthew J.
August 29, 2011
Not even two great actors can save this mess from being one of the most boring films of all times. It's not funny, amusing or interesting. Only thing that kind of makes worth while are the two masterful performances from Richard Dreyfuss and Danny De Vito and the historical background. The rest is bad.
mike hawke
January 11, 2012
love this film, devito, and a host of great actos in this film, so many to mention, and of course my fave richard, i wish there were more movies like this.
October 23, 2011
Good, but also kind of depressing to watch. About two men (Danny DeVito and Richard Dreyfuss) who are pretty much f***ed up salesmen who proceed to ruin each others' lives over nothing but their Cadillacs and their pride. Only after things come to a head and peak do they seem to grow as men. Worth sitting through, although it's almost two hours straight, so it takes its time.
April 9, 2011
A fairly entertaining movie in its own right, but is made by Bill's (Dreyfuss's Character) rain-soaked, scene where he professes (or tries to profess) his love for Nora. It's hard to pull of dialogue like that unless you're Jack Nicholson.
March 9, 2011
I saw this movie whern it first came out and I loved it. I think it has gotten better with age. I highly recomend this movie if you want to watch a great movie with good soild charaters and have a few laughs while your at it.
Josh P.
November 25, 2010
An underrated comedy, with quite a few memorable moments.
Luc L.
October 27, 2010
Quite an ordinary story and lame humor.
VanSnuG
February 18, 2010
A Classic social satire comedy. It is as relevant for today as the time when it was first showed. This movie is 23 years old; and like a fine wine, it aged well, very well.
Reprieved Soul
September 12, 2009
It's funny ... just not funny enough. And when serious, it lacks credibility. The trick is to emphasize the tragedy with the sharp contrast of comedy, not leave the audience trailing trying to work out what wwas serious and what was joky.
But entertaining .... watchable, just don't expect more.
jazza923
March 1, 2006
I don't know how I have missed watching this film for 19 years, there aren't that many films I have missed. I really liked it. The cast is good, the story is well written. Fine direction. Some goofs on period detail (1963). Barbara Hershey is particularly winning. Fun film.

August 26, 2005