T-Men Reviews

½ September 5, 2010
How exciting, agents of the US treasury are on the case! Okay, I'm being sarcastic, this is a horribly boring movie.
½ March 22, 2009
Above average B movie police procedural. Narrator is a bit intrusive, but the cinematography is excellent, as well as the handling of several key scenes.
½ October 5, 2014
Dragnet-like storytelling brings down what could have been a classic noir about US Treasury agents going undercover to bring down a counterfeiting ring. However, director Anthony Mann and cinematographer John Alton bring an amazing amount of style to this film, which elevates it to come thing of a low budget mini classic.
December 13, 2012
Docudrama thriller about a pair of treasury agents who go undercover to bring down a counterfeiting operation. The frequent intrusions for narration tend to disengage the audience and diffuse tension, although it does make T-Men quite easy to follow for those unused to the densely plotted nature of film noir. John Alton's cinematography is a thing of inky beauty, and the film's greatest strength.
½ October 29, 2012
Evenly-paced documentary that surrounds itself with a truly spellbinding film-noir aura. A tale about two hard cops who - under new aliases - try to infiltrate a dangerous counterfeit ring. With their cleverly-build personalities they embark on a very intense and tough mission, which will end one of the most ruthless criminal gangs in the history of phony money distribution. Dennis O'Keefe and Dennis O'Brian give immensely astounding performances as the two titular T-Men. The only thing that irritates in the film is its unsteady and lame narration provided by one of the least encouraging voices in the docudrama genre.
July 28, 2012
Anthony Mann teams up with cinematographer John Alton to create an archetypal film noir (falling into Paul Schrader's theoretical middle period where police procedurals and "realism" came to the fore -- here we see an actual Treasury official introduce the story). Dennis O'Keefe is undercover to break a counterfeiting ring -- and finds himself in a lot of danger. All shadows and fog, uh, I mean steam.
April 25, 2012
hard-hitting till the end
August 18, 2011
"T-Men" is really only a film noir expert movie to watch. I love the genre, but still I did not feel like I was ready to see this. It was put out by Poverty Row Studio "Eagle-Lion" which only ran for a few years, a notable movie that put out was "The Scar" in 1948, but still, this was a not well known part. Though I do consider this to be an exceptional movie for a B, for an A, ouch. This movie is just not good. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about visual effects, and yes, I appreciated the cinematography, but really, that's really the only reason to see this movie, the stars I put out is only related to it. Other than that, this movie is not too exciting. For a star-cast, it's pretty obvious not to see this: is there even one exceptional name? Nope. I knew it didn't have any, but because of its good reputation I thought, oh well. Maybe if it had at the least, Richard Widmark, this film could have been something really special, but I thought the actors just did not have the strength to carry the film even a little bit. I was not a huge fan of the plot either-- I have seen ones similar before, but when you get an annoying announcer talking every five minutes, it can get on your nerves. Watch a similar film noir "The Street With No Name" (which I gave five stars), and you will really get a treat. "T-Men" has a lot of potential, but does just not make it.