• PG-13, 2 hr.

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

To Save a Life Reviews

Cynthia S

September 5, 2010
Great movie for anyone with a teenager.
Market Man
Market Man

July 27, 2012
"To Save a Life" has probably broken the record for most cliches in a movie. Aside from that, it offers terrible directing, editing, and acting. Like all Christian films, it is predictable, but not only that, it portrays high-schoolers in a very unrealistic way. It also has multiple mixed messages that are forced upon the audience, none leaving any lasting impact. As far as Christian films go, this is the best, but that doesn't mean it's any good.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 3, 2011
My cousin says this is her favorite movie ever, to me it was a way to spend the afternoon. As a christian, I enjoyed the way they respect God and he changes his faith, but it took a wild turn and was pretty intense and depressing, it could've been so much more.
Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

August 25, 2012
Now I never heard of To Save A Life myself but from what my friends told me it has a "cult following" and many people like it. So I checked it out from the good reactions I heard and the fact "cult movies" usually means comedy from bad movies, unfortunately this is just a bad movie.

To Save A Life is poorly constructed in terms of plot. It starts with our main man Jake Taylor at a friend funeral, at first I thought I just skipped past some scenes by mistake but nope it start with a funeral. The problem with this is we already know Jake Taylor friend is dead and we don't even have time beforehand to connect with him for his death to have an impact on us. Whenever we do get development from about this one character it usually feels force and serve to move the plot forward when it got nothing else to distract us with. To the movie credit though it does accurately portray how teenagers act and is very relatable to them on many levels. Although it's still poorly written, for some reason when Jake Taylor helps more people he looses popularity at school, writers these days. Also this church has a service called "Souled Out", oh gosh. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this is a religious movie. At first I had doubts that this was a religious movie but the music did sound like it was Christian, but what convince is the fact Jake Taylor feels bad about his behavior. Apparently despite the fact Jake Taylor friend saved his life and was handicapped because of him, Jake Taylor chooses a popular girl over spending time with his friend. The only thing more poor than the plot is the force religious dialogue, like when Jake meets a pastor he says "I'm not religious". My personal favorite includes when Jake talks to his pastor about saying the word hell in church and the pastor actually says "That was the coolest thing I've ever seen".

Aside from the poor dialogue, poorly constructed plot, the movie never forces it religious message on the viewer. What quite surprising is that despite being a religious film the characters don't immediately convert into to angels like real people. I would talk about the acting and cast, but they're really underwhelming when it comes to their acting. Although most of them fit their characters perfectly and feel like real people. Moving back to the plot, I almost forgot our main character had parents who lack any impact or any defining characteristics beside being an unhappy couple. To my surprise the movie actually stole my idea for asking a girl out. If you're wondering what it is, simply put a flower pot in breakable thick ice with a hammer next to it, wait for the girl to break it, and come out of the bushes (or in my case the pool) and say "Now that we've broken the ice, what to go on a date?". There is an audience for this movie and it does plenty of good lessons in it, but I'm just was not part of that audience. The movie is too loud with it preachy music, the dialogue doesn't feel natural, some of the important characters have no impact, and most importantly it fears going into the more serious issues and diving deeper into it characters.

To Save A Life is not the movie for me and it simply didn't felt engaging simply because I didn't connect that much with the characters and poorly constructed plot. There's an audience (especially among teens) that will like it, but if you're wanting life lesson and a more engaging experience look elsewhere.
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Dillon L

February 17, 2011
Cliched characters, messy direction, predicatable script, sloppy acting and annoying religous themes make it unenjoyable for people outside its targeted audience.
Max G

August 28, 2011
A Christianity-related teen drama that speaks to the youth and adults alike in these times of guns at school, teen suicide, cutting, beer pong, teen pregnancy, and other pressures that kids are dealing with right now. Highly recommended.
neffielee
neffielee

February 5, 2010
When I got this movie, I honestly didn't realize it was a Christian movie. I almost just sent it back, but I decided to try a few minutes of it. I'm not a religious person, but I felt the message was very good; without being too preachy. I wish there were messages like these in films without a religious base, as I feel that could potentially lose the interest of people who need to see it most. It does have a somehwat after-school special feel to it. It all gets wrapped up in a fairly nice package, which loses some of the realism it strives for throughout the movie.
MOVEECRITIC
MOVEECRITIC

January 16, 2010
Highly religious overtones, unconvincing actors, and a vague plot equals a failed film without the hope of a resurrection.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

October 5, 2010
To save a life was a Christian Movie, and no one should be shy from watching it because of that. It dealt with real life teenage issues Different lifestyles was very clearly portrayed, and it was clear that the lifestyle the lead character was living was wrong, I don't know if most people in the world have a decent understanding of what Christians believe is right and wrong. The youth pastor who helped him out did not condemn him, but acted as Jesus would have, love him and accepted him and helped him to find a better of life, a life of purpose for God. I guess the whole point was based to wake up followers up and other people to not sit and watch others who are hurt and feeling alone, but to go out and be someone's friend.
JokersKnightOut
May 11, 2014
4 years later and this is still my favorite movie of all time. Dealing with deep issues most churches are afraid to touch on (yet eagerly slam people on sin and demand salvation), this movie has the hard edge needed for Christian movies today to use as a standard on how to make a quality film without going overboard.
May 10, 2012
I had a respect, which bumped up the rating, since I am a christian. The movie did remind me of life in church growing up a pastors kid. It had a good motive and ok acting. Its worth the watch for most but some people really need this movie. It has the potential to change a life.
October 6, 2011
feels like a made for TV movie about high school cliques bullying and violence the performances were beneath the subject matter and it just felt contrived and too preachy.
October 1, 2010
This movie seemed really preachy in some places, but for the most part this was a pretty good movie. It was pretty drepressing in parts though.
cappieforpresident
September 18, 2010
Every single time I see this movie, I love it even more than before. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Plus, my favorite song ever (Dare You To Move) is featured in this movie, so I'm slightly biased. I simply love it!
February 4, 2010
Bad, on so many levels. And not just because it's nothing but Christian proselytism. Even for that it's a trainwreck. None of the character buildup was compelling, none of the social settings are at all realistic, and even the thread of a plot it did have going for it was internally inconsistent and garbled. Really, really bad.

Also, if you're going to make a movie specifically designed to preach, please label it on the box. Dishonesty isn't a trait you particularly want to be flaunting while trying to convert people to the supposedly "moral high ground".
Hamee
January 23, 2010
This would perhaps be inspirational if it weren't for the fact that everyone ends up ahead in this movie. There is nothing less realistic than a movie that has all conflicts resolved by the end.
July 28, 2010
I sat down to watch this with my wife. What started out just a little boring kept just kept getting more and more better. Extremely realistic movie, not at all preachy. Just shows what a change in somebody's life can really be. We are all connected yet not really responsible for each others behavior, but God does what us each to have a positive effect on others. Especially our friends. Direction was okay but the acting and writing was the best I've seen in a low budget film. I highly recommend this movie to any family with teenagers that have open minds and a godly heart.
January 30, 2010
Inspiring movie. Sure this movie did not have the bells and whistles of an action movie or a comedy, but it was able to do something that those movies could not. It is rare that a movie comes along and penetrates your soul, brings you back to the fundamental truths that impact our lives on a daily basis. It is easy for us to go through lives focused on ourselves, but when we reach out in love-God will do a wonder...
mondomoney
July 24, 2010
This is as bad as christian propaganda gets. This movie is sooo out of touch with todays society its not even funny. The situations in this movie were so fake and were all there just to set up some preach scene. The preach knob was turned up to the max i felt like this movie was trying to sell me something on paid programming, but besides all that it was just sooo dull.