Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son Reviews

July 22, 2014
I understand what Ken Jacobs is doing here, dissecting and looking at this piece of found footage from many different angles. This kind of stuff just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not much for dissecting the image of film and looking at it up close, up side down and sped up or slowed down...it isn't my bag. To each their own, this just isn't my bag.
½ November 3, 2010
Ken Jacobs' film begins with the 1905 short of the same title -- a mildly amusing but forgettable little farce. He then proceeds to deconstruct the holy hell out of it for the next 100 minutes. At times he appears to be examining it for sinister clues, as if it were the Zapruder film: freeze-framing, step-framing, running it backwards, isolating a particular detail. At other times, he creates an abstraction out of it: zooming in on something unrecognizable, or running it through the gate (I don't know the technical term) so that it blurs. He also shows the mechanics of movie watching, showing us the movie screen or the flickering light of the projector. After all that, he repeats the short once more, now with a host of different perspectives in the viewer's mind, and caps it off with one final abstraction. It's a great idea, and unlike something like La region centrale, really needs to be seen to be appreciated. It works very well. I won't criticize the length, although it does get occasionally wearisome (the blurring section goes on rather long)... but the sheer excessiveness of it is part of its charm. However, it's definitely not for everyone and is pretty much a "watch it once" kind of thing.
July 22, 2014
September 9, 2011
El director filma la proyección de un corto de 1905, pasándolo para delante, para atrás, pausando, encuadrando esto, aquello. Se puede ver como un remix, una deconstrucción o... algo más difícil de explicar, o la suma de todo. Surgen cosas interesantes, y la verdad que la elección del corto fue un golazo: pasan mil cosas por cuadro y tiene esa magia inexplicable de los cortos mudos. Pero personalmente, verlo entero de nuevo entero al final no me aportó mucho.
½ November 3, 2010
September 11, 2008
structuralist deconstruction of a 1905 one-reeler that changes the way one looks at film.
April 17, 2008
Una de esas que se pasan en fiestas a las 3 de la mañana, con lucecitas violetas y sustancias. Vista 40 años despues de filmada, en la alianza francesa y a las 8 de la noche, casi me quedo dormido. Pero era buena.
December 10, 2007
This was the first movie that I saw by Ken Jacobs and it is crazy. I wish more movies were made like this.