Tom Brown's Schooldays - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tom Brown's Schooldays Reviews

August 13, 2013
I enjoyed this story of a boy learning to survive being bullied at an English public school. Alex Pettyfer, who plays Tom, was lovely, and it was great to see Jemma Redgrave again, though, I wish her character could've been a bit more developed. This is based on a British book I've never read; though, I remember seeing a black & white film from the 30's years back.
November 25, 2012
It's Stephen Fry people....how bad can it be? I found it quite enjoyable though it seemed a little short. I read the book nor have i seen the original black and white film but i liked this. It's a bunch of boys getting into situations. Fun.I mean seriously, you could get a solid hour of entertainment just by staring at the kid's hair.
August 17, 2007
I love Alex Pettyfer sooo duh i wanna c it!!!
½ November 20, 2013
Not bad. It's well acted - Fry is very good - but very abusive of Hughes' original book.
August 13, 2013
May 25, 2013
For a made for tv movie this film is excellent. The kids do an amazing job at depicting the fun and horror they experienced at a public school at the dawn of the 'Arnold era.' It veers from the book quite a bit in places, but the plot flows nicely with the changes and won't leave viewers disappointed.
November 25, 2012
½ July 9, 2012
Poorly directed. Couldn't sit through it. Art Direction beautiful though. May rent it again later...
February 24, 2012
LOVE IT AND OWN IT!!!
½ January 9, 2010
A BBC film about boarding school bullies, very Charles Dickens. Alex Pettyfer did fantastic considering that this was his first film.
April 2, 2010
nic emovie.very touching.
April 1, 2010
A great movie based on private school life in the 1800s.
The actors perform very fittingly to their roles.
December 2, 2009
A nice story about kids relations within a boarding school (bullying and all) and a clash of ideologies towards education.
Downfall: it's a drama but the drama comes way too late and one of the main character implied is definately not developed enough... he actually appears in the last 25-35% of the movie so you don't get to know much about him. Joseph Beattie's character was very interesting though.
May 22, 2009
I thought it was really good though the ending was sad
February 26, 2009
Alex in it! i gotta see!
½ January 6, 2009
Luvd the film i found it aa bit sad buh luvd it
February 23, 2008
nice story --- kinda sad ending

loved alex <3
½ August 4, 2008
+ very good drama about childhood, relevant for nowadays
+ well-acted
½ July 21, 2008
Pretty good, but hugely unsatisfying ending. Very abrupt. Stephen Fry was fabulous as always, and the kid that plays Tom Brown was good. The man/boy who played the main bully was a huge ham, and this was unfortunately kind of a one trick pony of a movie--bullying, bullying and more bullying. It would have been a much better movie had the plot been a bit more balanced--it couldn't have been all bad, all day long, at Rugby School. Could it?