Too Many Husbands - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Too Many Husbands Reviews

jjnxn
January 30, 2012
Preposterous nonsense would be idiotic if not played by experts at this sort of improbability. Jean, Fred and Melvyn were however three of the best players at this type of drawing room comedy and sustain a lively tone to the proceeding amply assisted by that king of flummoxed exasperation Harry Davenport.
½ September 5, 2010
I wonder if something like this has actually happened, you think your spouse is dead and remarry only to find your old spouse returning years later! Weather or not it actually has happened, this movie tells the story hilariously. Some of the scenes are a bit talky, but overall the movie is good.
March 27, 2010
This was made the same year as the far superior My Favorite Wife, but it?s not bad in it?s own right. It?s a bit absurd at times, but thankfully the cast makes it work. Jean Arthur is wonderful as always, Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas are appropriately frazzled as the two husbands. Harry Davenport provides fine support. It?s pleasant and amusing, but it?s nothing particularly special.
½ February 4, 2010
Too Many Husbands (1940) -- [5.0] -- Jean Arthur finds herself with two husbands after her first, presumed dead at sea, turns out to be very much alive. The genders are reversed, but the story is very similar to "My Favorite Wife", a better film released the same year. Jean Arthur, Fred MacMurray, and Melvyn Douglas are usually reliable, but I didn't care for their chemistry. I also had a hard time accepting the conceit that Arthur would actually enjoy pitting the two men against one another, albeit playfully.
November 10, 2009
Very different movie than My Favorite Wife. And while lacking some of the craziness and overt comedy of MFW, this film is really more unique and daring regarding the set up. Unlike Irene Dunn returning 7 years later to crash Cary Grants attempts to consummate his marriage of the same day, Fred MacMurray returns after 1 year to find his wife married for a full 6 months to his best friend...with all the baggage that implies. This movie is remarkably not shy about the tension. It also explores an interesting dynamic in that after Jean Arthur recovers from the shock, we realize she has loved and been disappointed by both men, and is visibly excited at the prospect of being fought over (literally...she retires to her bedroom and sits to await the victor). It's all very unusual and though it loses a little momentum towards the finish, I found the conclusion to be fitting. Harry Davenport is also a delight. Truth be told, it's a pretty unromantic and unsentimental film. MFW has the romance and sentiment for better or worse, so if your in the mood for something different...
November 2, 2014
I loved the movie it was a funny, miraculous movie I loved the script and setting of the movie
July 16, 2012
if the three leading actors of "too many husbands" weren't of the calibur that jean arthur, fred macmurray, and melvyn douglas are, this could have been a real stinker, but the three of them bring non stop laughs and a good amount of charm.
July 14, 2012
this might seem familiar cos cary grant irenne dunne vehicle with the same plot
jjnxn
January 30, 2012
½ September 5, 2010
½ July 4, 2010
If you've seen My Favourite Wife, you will notice that this is exactly the same story, but with two husbands instead of two wives. I suppose feminists would really like this movie, but anyone can enjoy the comedy of the situation. This is an enjoyable movie with good actors, but the story has been done before. It's not the greatest movie, but it's fun.
½ June 29, 2010
This story has been filmed many times and all the others are better. But it's nearly impossible to dislike a Jean Arthur movie, even when the choice between Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas is not much of a contest.
March 27, 2010
½ February 4, 2010
November 10, 2009
October 18, 2009
the recent re-make version from its old film version not only polishes the image quality, also add the missing part of the original version, which is worth seeing. The story may be simple and shalow, the high quality of making can not be ignored. from costume, make-up to light, cinematography, all the details remind you of those glorious old days of hollywood.
½ August 15, 2009
A silly if oft repeated gimmick of the dead husband showing up throw a wrench into the works of his "widow's" new relationship. It's been done many times and often better. The chemistry and banter between the three actors sustain the first half of this souffle and then it seems to go nowhere fast and just end. Oh well.
January 7, 2009
Pretty much the same story as My Favorite Wife but in reverse. It just wasn't as good as My Favorite Wife. It upsets me because I like Jean Arthur, but this just wasn't that great of a movie for her. Fred MacMurray is always funny!! The end is just kind of dumb though. Although the "dance off" thing is kind of funny. Overall it wasn't that great but if you're bored it will do!
½ August 19, 2008
i thought it was pretty funny at the right times. that is key in a comedy.
½ August 12, 2008
Definitely good for some pre-war laughs.