Treasure Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treasure Island Reviews

September 26, 2012
Why did only 32% of users like this one? It's awesome!
September 26, 2012
This is nice and long, it's about pirates and it has Eddie Izzard in it. You'd think it would be fantastic. It's not terrible, but despite being cold-blooded killers, because it was made for TV, none of the pirates were very scary or piratey, especially Izzard's Silver. He was more like that irritating brother-in-law that no one likes than a bloodthirsty, smelly, grog swilling, wench raping pirate. The story itself is OK, the dialogue is difficult at times because of accents and mouthfullofshit disease, but overall, it's an entertaining adventure.
May 26, 2013
Surprising(?) but solid casting. Convincingly and appropriately brutal. Excellent production and editing, this was mesmerizing to watch and adequately emotionally scarring (because the story is a messed up story, my friends). Izzard is an amazing Long John Silver and it is wonderful to see Silver's character development unfold, as he is the most interesting to follow (in my opinion). Grab a friend and a blanket to cry into (cry into both of them) and set aside an afternoon to watch this.
½ April 27, 2013
I can only assume the makers of this film and those that gave it good reviews have never read or completely misunderstood the book. The acting and casting is abysmal, the butchering of the story is insulting to Stevenson and I'm sure if they'd seen the film that the Randall & Hopkirk owners would be onto the copyright courts for the theft of their theme song. What a waste of three hours, ample time to tell the story faithfully and absolutely no need for the pointless re-writes. 3 out of 10, one point for Geoff Bell and two for the quality of the budget special effects.
½ February 9, 2013
It's a cute little fantasy, but not worth the viewing.
November 24, 2012
Adventure and fun await ye in this adaptation starring the inimitable Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver. Fans of sea-faring and pirate tales and the cross-dressing comedian alike will discover a rich trove of enjoyment in this tale of hidden treasure, owning one's past, and coming of age. Some pirate-related violence, but certainly an adventure tale to be enjoyed by families and children from 7-107.
November 3, 2012
Rent this movie. It is what I would call a "movie worth the money". It's three hours long (split into 2 parts) but never a dull moment. Eddy Izzard as John Silver is a perfect casting. I will admit that I do not like it when movies arrogantly rewrite classics that have survived the test of time, but in this case they were respectful of the original while changing several characters motives and personas. I think this movie (like the book) appeals to ALL ages and the acting was better than 90% of all made for TV movies. Great story, great acting, great music, great period recreation and most of all FUN!! 4 out of 5 stars from a tough critic.
September 6, 2012
A very brilliant film.
July 19, 2012
A rather fun retelling of the famous tale without taking too many risks or alterations to the source. Izzard is surprisingly good as the grizzled and duplicitous Silver against the justly Smollet, played ably by Glenister. Far from a triumph it is watchable and taken in 3 1hour sittings it is one of Sky One's better original productions. The one poor part was the horribly miscast Wood, who either didn't care for the work or just couldn't fulfill the role of an emaciated and deranged Gunn and was a constant distraction compared to the rest of the cast.
June 28, 2012
Holy crap, love this movie. This story has been rehashed and redone so long that it actually invented pirate speak, and honestly, the story was getting tired. The only reason I started watching this was because eddie izzard is the man, and it's turned out to be freakin awesome.
This is no kids story. You want to see silver lose a leg? it ain't pretty and everything is dark, well-done and more true to the pirates of the time (no arrgggggs in this movie).
Also has the guy who played giles in horatio hornblower in it as well.
April 25, 2012
Disney's 1950 adaptation of Treasure Island was a movie that captivated me as a kid. Along with its sequel (Long John Silver) I wore out my VHS copies. I loved it so much that it was one of the first books I can recall reading at length and I have seen most of the film versions which were to follow over the years. Most of them are pretty crap, notably the Charlton Heston & Christian Bale movie from the 90s. I have just watched the latest treatment and I am really surprised at it's quality. This is a good movie. Made as a tv miniseries it looks as polished as a proper film. The design and authenticity is exceptional and the story stays true with the book (for the most part). Eddie Izzard is an unlikely choice to play Long John Silver but shiver me' timbers, he's probably the best Silver I've seen. He relishes the role. The movie is suitably violent while maintaining a family friendly (10+yrs) value that the book also had. A couple of flaws would be that Elijah Wood's performance as Ben Gunn is weak and the movie does run out of steam in the second half. Nevertheless I think this is a great adaptation and certainly more than I expected. Full kudos to Izzard!
March 3, 2012
It was okay I guess. But I don't understand why they had to make so many changes in the story, especially at the end. I mean, it was an amazing book. It's been written down for some time now. They can read it at any time. There's obviously a good story there, they should have stuck with that...