Trekkies 2

Trekkies 2 Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 17, 2013
Sequel to Trekkies is a good follow-up, but lacks the amusing qualities that made the original interesting. I felt that with this sequel, they revisited the same subject, without adding anything really new or interesting. Sure there were news aspects in some places, but Trekkies 2 falls short in terms of a sequel. Nonetheless despite its flaws, I did enjoy the film but felt it could have been much better as well. This is nonetheless a worthy watch for Star Trek fans. Some things presented here, much like the original takes a look at the somewhat extreme fandom of Trek fans. I never really was a Trek fan, but it surprises me to see such dedication just for TV show. This will certainly appeal to fans of the original. The film could have been done better, but it elaborates more in terms of the fandom of Star Trek fans as well. The film is an average documentary and is quite forgettable. Nonetheless it is entertaining to see the fans of the show talk about why the franchise and how much it means to them. Although this sequel is good, I much preferred the original, and I felt that at times it recycled a few aspects of the original Trekkie. Worth checking out if you're a fan of the series and the first film. Trekkies is entertaining and worth seeing if you've enjoyed the first, but it lacks something to really make it a standout documentary. Trekkies 2 is worth seeing if you're curious about the Trek fandom that has gone on since the Gene Rodenburry original series, and though at times a bit extreme, you have to understand how much a series means to certain people. With that being said, it's always good to see someone dedicate themselves to something positive. Although flawed, it's worth seeing, but Trekkies was better.
flixsterman
flixsterman

February 3, 2009
A weak followup to the respectable Trekkies of 1997.
James A

June 17, 2009
Not nearly as good as the first one but still enjoyable.
Jason S

November 20, 2008
Just as good as the first one. We revisit folks from the first movie and find they are still a little nuts and we meet a whole new set of folks who have taken the love of a tv show way too far.
Funny to watch.
Marion R

July 5, 2009
It was okay, I liked the first one better, it was more fun
September 5, 2013
The sequel is much like the first ... in fact, a LOT like the first, an amusing documentary that gives you a glimpse into this world of trekkies. It's pretty much the same film as the first, only it goes worldwide, so the trekkies have different accents, that's really the only difference. And they follow up with some of the 'characters' in the first movie, which is fun.
September 27, 2011
The sequel presents more of the same, turning the spotlight on the entire world this time around. There are hot Serbian babes into Star Trek? Duly noted.

The annoying kid from the first one is re-visited, who is still an annoying goofball, despite the fact that he's found a girlfriend/wife and is working in special effects for shows that I actually like. As long as they keep him behind the scenes, we're all good. Dude's fucking irritating.

Well worth a look, give it a peep.
April 1, 2007
More of what Trekkies 1 is... just better. I am a Star Trek fan. No, I don't live in my parents basement, and yes, thank you. I have a life!
June 16, 2007
I liked the first one, haven't seen this one.
October 23, 2013
Unnecessary after the first Trekkies...But I don't mind! :)
May 13, 2013
More of the same - but that's not a bad thing. This installment goes international in its documentation of Trek-fans, meeting a variety of geeks who come in peace, including some from war-ravaged countries who genuinely look at Star Trek as a symbol of hope for the future. We also get to check back in with some of our old favourites from the first film - now seven years older and wiser.

The film starts off strong, with a serious message about community and acceptance - and trails off after the first half where it feels like they're just listing off fan after fan, collection after collection - there's no soul to it anymore.

Nevertheless, if you liked the first film, you'll enjoy this one too.
February 6, 2013
Practically of the same quality as its predecessor, Trekkies 2 loses nothing in its translation to sequel territory. Instead, it gains traction as it expands its scope to Trekkies worldwide rather than just inside the United States--but we catch up with Barbara Adams and Gabriel Koerner, and several other cities not covered in the original. Also added are interviews with the No Kill I series of bands. However, the film begins to feel a little superfluous on a purely informative basis by its end. Although neither it nor the original are long films, Trekkies 2 remains slightly less accessible than its predecessor and begins to appeal only to Trekkies themselves.
The Maniac On Wheels
September 24, 2009
I admit it. I am a professional wrestling fan (who hates the "Wrestling is fake" debate) and, believe it or not, I am a Trekkie. I am what the mainstream considers a nerd who, unfortunately, lives with his parents (only because I am physically disabled and uses a wheelchair.)

Trekkies 2 is a continuation of the 1996 documentary, Trekkies. It is hosted by Denise Crosby, who portrayed "Lt. Natasha 'Tasha' Yar" on Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the granddaughter of Hollywood legend, Bing Crosby.

This film has a somewhat bigger budget. As the movie goes overseas to visit with European fans of one of the most beloved franchises in entertainment. In the original, they stayed in the United States.

It visits with some hardcore fans overseas and in the USA who live the life of a person obsessed with the franchise which began in 1966. One of those redesigned his apartment to somewhat look like it could be in the TNG (The Next Generation) era to the point where he built a "Transporter console", which he credits from preventing him going down a dark path when he wife divorced him.

You also get some interviews of people the crew came across at European and US fan conventions where people meet other fans, trade, sell and purchase merchandise, and embrace with world created by the late Gene Roddenberry.

You get to see how Star Trek is celebrated around the world. Although they are in the same fandom, each country featured in this film celebrates the franchise differently.

The producers were very respectful to fans who do not speak English. Instead of having Crosby do a voiceover explaining what the fan was saying, we get the text in subtitles in the now-famous Star Trek font.

In the film, they talk about the hard core fans who live and breathe Star Trek to the point that they seem to believe that they are in the Star Trek Universe. One of which is Barbara Adams, one of the fans featured in the original movie.

Adams made a name for herself when she wore her Starfleet uniform to court as an alternate juror in the Whitewater trial, which had former US President Bill Clinton and current US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton as defendants. In the first movie, she claimed that her costume was a legitimate uniform and she had the right to wear it anywhere she wanted. The judge dismissed her because her wearing the costume became a distraction to the point that she was interviewed outside the court about it. She was under strict orders not to talk to media during the trial.

In this movie, she is part of a group discussing the hard core fans who seem to be out of touch with reality. One person brought her up, without knowing who she was at first, and said that she shouldn't have worn the costume to court out of respect and seriousness of the trial. She eventually asked another person in the discussion what's the difference between her uniform and the uniform of a soldier in the military. I would have loved to had the opportunity to respond to that question.

I was not too impressed with Crosby's performance as host. When she was talking with fans, she was quite comfortable as much as the fans were. But, when she read from the script it was painfully obvious.

I liked her interaction with the fans interviewed in this film. The fans probably did some hero worship when she came into the room when the cameras were off, but were very comfortable when the cameras were on them. You could see the passion they have for the franchise, and how comfortable they are with discussing it.

The fans who were interviewed were fantastic in this film. The majority proved that Star Trek fans are not nerds who live in their parent's basement at 34 years old. They discussed why they are fans, what Star Trek means to them and had some fun with showing their collections and costumes. Those who were featured in the film were quite interesting in fact.

One interesting segment is when the movie visits with people featured in the first film, and discussing their reaction to not only the first film, but how it was recieved. One, who now creates CGI effects for a living, discusses how the first movie created a sort of catchphrase for him, which he jokes about. He also talks about how a movie reviewer said in his review of the first movie how he (the fan) will never have sex. The punchline is that the woman who is now his wife is sitting next to him as his discusses what the reviewer mentioned. He even joked about how some people questioned his sexuality.

The music is completely original, and provided by a group of fans featured in the film. The majority of the tunes are only memorable due to the Trek-themed lyrics, which are filled with references from various shows in the franchise. If you are a fan of the franchise, you might just find yourself singing the tunes. However, if you aren't a fan, you will just think how nerdy these people are and just laugh at them.

This is not a high budget movie, so don't expect spectacular special effects. The most spectacular special effects are shown in clips from various fan-produced films, which can be viewed online. I have links on my computer to dozens of these fan-produced shows, and many have special effects which are surprisingly impressive. In one of these clips, it is obvious that the sets are actually green screen efects edited in in post-production, and it's obvious that they are computer generated.

If you think that people who go to fan conventions dressed up as a blue alien with white hair and blue antenna are virgins who live in their parents' basement, then you must see this movie to have your eyes opened up. This film, as well as the first one in this series, will prove to you that Star Trek fans are from all walks of life. They are parents, executives at major corporations, dentists, college students and even politicians.

Trekkies, some of which call themself Trekkers, are just like you. The only difference is that they are part of a unique fandom that has been around for almost 45 years. A fandom which believes in a peaceful future where there is, as said in the Star Trek Universe, universal diversity in infinate combinations. The world of a Trekkie is one where people of all races, creeds and sexual orientation are accepted, and hope that one day the mainstream will be the same.

Put this movie, and the original, quite high on your To See list if you are not a fan of the franchise. If you are a fan, then place this one in your Must See list.
Francis Vecellio
March 7, 2006
Not as good as the first.
A. Khan
September 7, 2005
So what does [u]Trekkies 2[/u] add to the franchise?

Well, in this documentary we see two new things: 1) more international Trekkies, and 2) how the subjects of the first film responded to it. And while I give it a slightly less favorable review because a lot of it is repetitive, and we see an interviewer on camera, I still thoroughly enjoyed [u]Trekkies 2[/u].

What more can be said about this topic? Well for one thing, good for the fourteen year old geek from the original film to now be working in computer aided design. He was the only Trekkie in these films that I can think of who actually got some mileage out of his talents. He's married now too, but to another dork, so that's no big achievement. The other thing I liked were the tribute bands in this film, and the number of Trekkies who seem to have some realistic sense of how ridiculous they look after seeing the first film. (I was unbelieveably jealous of the guy who makes Star Trek tribute /movies/ as an amateur which seem better than just about every amateur film I've ever seen made.) It was funny to me also to see how many of them were in denial about who they are (nerds). And the great editing is still there, so this is a worthy successor to the first one. If only they'd gotten Bill Shatner to take the camera. As the only cast of the original Trek to tell the Trekkies to "get a life," he has a special hatred among the Trekkies, and a special place in my heart.

And good for the Trekkies for raising money to aid other Trekkies. They're not bad people, just horribly pathetic, IMO.
tsauder
May 16, 2005
[font=Times New Roman][size=4]Trekkies 1 was better. Trekkies 2 is OK but a little less interesting and also, after Trekkies 1, been there done that.[/size][/font]