Triumph of the Spirit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Triumph of the Spirit Reviews

December 22, 2010
A poorly written and executed film, based on a heartbreaking, harrowing tale, is still a poorly written and executed film. The boxing scenes are actually this bomb's saving grace. Aside from that, "Triumph" is a term that's about as far from proplerly describing this as possible. Considering the powerful nature of the story, that seems hard to believe, but, behold! Here's the first film of which I am aware that does a total disservice to the plight of Jewish people during the Holocaust. Bad production values, and trite portrayals of both Germans and Jews make this move uninteresting.
flixsterman
½ April 28, 2009
A good screenplay that seems bogged down by bad casting. Dafoe is exceptional but most of the rest seem oddly out of place. This should have been and could have been so much better.
January 4, 2014
A very confusing film. The story does capture your attention, but it's so poorly structured and paced that you stop caring about halfway through it. Then again, Dafoe, Olmos, and Loggia give strong enough performances that you start caring again. Director Robert Young seems more interested in heaping more and more drama on top of an already tragic and terrifying story, and sometimes the punches hit a lot less strong. But in the end, the film has some moving pieces, and might keep you interested.
½ July 15, 2010
intriguing about the greek aspect of the holocaust, although jews of any national persuasion were victimized.
i thought the story was too staid and melodramatic and the cast was a bit too eclectic dafoe, loggia, olmos; come on now.
½ January 16, 2010
This one is boring and not really worth watching. The acting is average with sloppy dialogue. The story although based on a real story is badly portrayed. William is the only reason I watched because I like him but it's not up to his standards. If you see this one skip it.
March 14, 2009
Very well done movie, not as much boxing in this at description leads you to believe. Shows more the inner strength needed to survive the terrible time of concentration camps.
½ October 23, 2006
A very touching and moving story, nicely acted by the entire cast, with a surprisingly good performance by Willem Dafoe, before going into the film, I thought he seemed miscast, but he did a great job in the role. Moving score, some unforgettable scenes. The movie does have some slow moving parts, but overall a fine film.
April 8, 2006
[size=2]I'm beginning the rather lengthy task of entering into the database every film I have seen, at least those I have a decent memory of. Some may have the briefest of reviews while many will just have a number. Those films that I consider personal favorites and/or those that have some historical signficance I will add later when I have time for more lengthy reviews.

[b]Triumph of the Spirit[/b], directed by Robert M. Young, stars Willem Dafoe as Salamo Arouch, a Jewish boxer imprisoned in Auschwitz during WWII. Arouch is supposed to be exterminated, but is given one chance to live, by boxing. Each bout he wins will prolong his life. Dafoe is in fine form here, but the film is merely average. Notable as the first feature filmed on location at Auschwitz.

[b]Taps[/b], directed by Harold Becker, is a drama about a military school threatened to be demolished by a real estate company. The students decide to arm themselves to fight off any "invaders". Although the story is farfetched, this film is fairly entertaining due to it's strong cast. Veteran actor George C. Scott runs the academy, but the film is most notable for it's young cast which includes Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, and Timothy Hutton.

[b]Tap[/b], directed by Nick Castle Jr., stars Gregory Hines as the convict son of a famous dancer. The plot is thin, but the dancing is great. Also features Sammy Davis Jr., Steve Condos, Jimmy Slyde, and Joe Morton.

[b]Uncommon Valor[/b], directed by Ted Kotcheff, is an action movie about a rescue of POW's. It's terribly cliched and predictable. Stars Gene Hackman, Robert Stack, Patrick Swayze, and Fred Ward.

[b]Unfaithfully Yours[/b] is the rather uninspired remake of the Preston Sturges classic. This version, directed by Howard Zieff, stars Dudley Moore, Natassja Kinski, Armand Assante and Albert Brooks.
[/size]
December 28, 2014
Wow, I'm shocked by the reviews, I must had miss something. I really enjoyed this movie. The only reason I'm giving this a 4 and not 5 because of what the reviews are saying which make me feel like must had miss something. I see not one single 4. The highest was a 3 and a half. And Roger gave it an 1 star. I don't know. I enjoyed this movie and understood the message unlike some people. You know. I'm giving a 5. The hell with you people. It's the best holocaust movie but it's also a piece of garbage. Maybe I got to see it again. I don't know. A good movie in my eyes.
January 4, 2014
December 8, 2012
Harrowing portrayal of life in a Nazi concentration camp during WW2, based on a true story.

Interesting, engaging plot. Maybe doesn't explore the moral dilemmas of the main character thoroughly enough. Also, a bit more explanation of certain events would have been in order.

Great performance from WIllem Dafoe. Decent supporting cast.
½ November 24, 2012
Probably the first movie in which I'm seeing Willem Dafoe in a lead protagonist role. And regarding the movie, its pretty watchable and all of those jail sequences are pretty well portrayed.
August 29, 2012
Bad portrayal of the atrocities and hardships that took place back then. I lost interest about half way through. Only reason i gave it 2 stars was because it was actually filmed at Auschwitz. At least they got that right!
June 16, 2012
Would be 5 star if it was in english
June 4, 2012
Would be 5 star if it was in english
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
½ July 17, 2011
Another decent WWII story. Boxing actually plays very little into the plot.