45% The Other Woman Apr 25

100% Veep: Season 3

Trollhunter Reviews

Ross C

March 8, 2014
A nice piece of sci-fi, taking Norwegian mythology and bringing it into the present day with reasonable scientific justifications, whilst the amateur documentary style film making adds realism without resorting to any Hollywood-style sudden scares. It presents itself as a serious documentary, but doesn't take itself seriously with lots of nice tongue-in-cheek moments played out with deadpan humour. Despite the amateur-style filming, the movie is really well produced and the trolls are spectacular.
Spencer S

July 14, 2011
This verite styled, fake documentary, is both obviously raucous with funny dialogue, characters, and playful images, and thrilling as it centers on a long upheld conspiracy by the Norwegian government. The film starts as a documentary made by several college kids, looking for the identity of a bear poacher who has been killing rogue bears around the countryside. They end up meeting and stalking a man named Thomas (Trosterud), who seems atypical and suspicious. The rest of the film follows the wayward kids as they follow Thomas on his many missions through the cavernous mountains and lush forests of Norway, killing wayward trolls. Trosterud gives an interesting performance as the sullen and reserved Thomas. He always speaks with affinity, gives away information on his profession without seeming to care about the consequences, and is gruff and bad mannered at times. Though he seems not to care about what will come when he reveals all his secrets, it's obvious that there's a laid plan for what he will do once everything is unearthed. The trolls themselves are really well designed. They move like real animals, and they have castes and species differentiation that make them unique and tangible for the audience. The way they roam the mountains in family structures makes them as predatory as any frightening beast in nature. The other supporting characters are oftentimes officials and other people in the conspiracy, who don't want the tape to get out, but at the same time they are more concerned with the fleets of huge trolls killing off everything in sight. The documentary crew aren't seen very much, but they act like real college kids, with all the confidence of youth and the problems of that age as well. Some of the visuals are incomparable in how amazing they seem, how vivid and realistic they come across, and this movie is worth watching just for that. The Norwegian countryside serves as a moody backdrop as well as a beautiful setting. It's also pretty funny at times, whether it's a lewd performance by a Polish bear trapper, or Thomas' mannerisms during his interviews. This film can be highly recommended for a plethora of reasons, plus there are trolls. Very little to lose in watching this.
Jens S

April 24, 2011
This Norwegian found footage film teams up University filmers with a trapper who turns out to hunt trolls for the government, top secret, mind you. Their unlikely adventures in the Norwegian wild are as funny as they are unsettling. The creature effects are not entirely en par with Hollywood standards, which also gives the film a more light-hearted note than probably intended. That doesn't change the fact that the gorgeous landscapes and the wonderfully grumpy main character make for a great combination, a highly entertaining horror film that parodies both found footage films and documentaries, yet works as both. Extremely amusing and a surprisingly fresh take on a genre that should have been dead five minutes after Blair Witch Project ended.
garyX
garyX

June 8, 2011
A trio of students from a local college follow a suspected poacher but when they discover he works for a state sanctioned troll management agency, he allows them to film him perform his secret work. Yet another faux "actual footage" pseudo documentary from the Blair Witch school, Troll Hunter at least has an inventive premise and a sense of humour about what it's doing. It's all very tongue in cheek and the cast are actually quite believable and naturalistic in their roles; Otto Jesperson's jaded hunter is good fun, playing his part like a dejected Crocodile Dundee fed up of his thankless task. But thanks to the format, all we really get is more wobbly cam footage of people running around in the woods and hiding in caves just like Blair With itself; in fact thanks to some spectacular Scandinavian scenery, a lot of the time it looks like a promo from the Norwegian tourist board. The biggest problem with it however is despite its sense of humour, it just isn't funny enough; it's mildly amusing whenever the government bureaucrat who's trying to cover up the existence of the trolls appears, but it's never laugh out loud funny and without any real drama or spectacle it needed more laughs. The closing battle with the giant troll is very well done and it would've made an amusing short, but a few computer generated muppets and some woodland aerobics just isn't enough to maintain the interest for nearly two hours.
Matthew S

August 15, 2012
When trolls are in frame, it is a spectacle. This is partly due to this movie's poor execution in every other area lowering my expectations; mostly though it is because the special effects were very well done. As much as I want to root for the underdog with a small movie budget, special effects alone doesn't make a good movie. But I might fast forward to the last 10 minutes some time.
blkbomb
blkbomb

October 6, 2012
Kalle: So what do you do if a troll wants to have an eating contest with you?

"You'll believe it when you see it!"

This movie has long been of interest for me. It's sort of a cross between Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project, but not as scary or as effective as those two. Still, it's an interesting and pretty cool film to add to the found footage sub-genre. Trollhunter is a fairly ambitious Norwegian film that knows the genre and knows how to put just enough of a spin on it to add a few surprises here and there, while still sticking to the original formula.

A few students from a Norwegian college set out to talk to a supposed bear poacher. A bunch of other bear hunters had been complaining about this man. When the students finally track him down, they find out that he isn't really a bear poacher. In fact, he is a trollhunter that works for the government to keep the troll population away from people. When one breaks away from their land, he has to kill them. Obviously the students don't really believe it at first, but soon they are forced to as they see the images for themselves. Once again, the whole movie is based around the fact that the events are true and that this was found and given to the public. Blair Witch made that format famous and Trollhunter was just capitalizing on it, as many other films have done.

Overall this is a pretty good movie. Sure, there were some disappointments along the way and I still believe it didn't fully live up to its potential, but it was still a fun little movie. The characters were believable, even if the equipment and some of the "government" issues weren't. The ending was sort of anti-climatic and didn't live up to the rest of the movie, but it isn't so bad that it destroys the buildup.

The movie looked good and sounded good. The trolls were incorporated throughout the whole film and for the most part, looked pretty amazing. The scenes with the trolls were handled well and looked great. This isn't a movie that will completely blow you away, like I sort of believed it would be going in. Still this is a film that is worth a look especially if you are a fan of other movies of this type. It's not the best entry, but it is definitely an above average one.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 19, 2012
Interesting new take in the found footage/documentary style of horror, Trollhunter is a very well done film. The film departs enough from the standard horror documentary style to offer the viewer something refreshing in a genre that basically recycles old ideas into different plot lines. The standout aspect for this film were the special effects, I found that they were very well done considering the film's modest 19 million dollar budget. Acting wise, there are some really good performances here, and though we've seen plenty documentary style films in the past and since, Trollhunter should appeal to genre fans that are looking for something original, exciting, thrilling and at times terrifying. Andre Ovredal is a great director who knows to pull off an effective film that entertains. The problem with found footage films is that they get tiresome after a while, but with Trollhunter, it's a whole different experience. I'm one that enjoys something original and creative, this film pulls it off. There are things in this picture that could have been improved upon, and some of the dialogue feels a bit clumsy and you can tell some of it could have been written better. However this isn't a flick that is meant to be great. It's a well executed one at that, but it shows its flaws. However even with that in mind, this is a pleasant treat for genre fans that enjoy this specific genre of horror. Trollhunter is a fun horror film that shows that Norway is becoming really good at delivering top-notch genre films.
Dean !

July 12, 2012
I didn't expect much from this low budget Norwegian film, but it actually turned out to be very good. Even low budget effects these days can be very good, this film proves it with the Trolls featured in the film. The fact it is filmed in a documentary type of way worked well to. Blair Witch meets Cloverfield, go watch and enjoy!
Tired of Previews
Tired of Previews

October 9, 2011
Directed (and written) by Andre Ovredal, Filmameratena A/S, 2010. Otto Jespersen, Glenn Erland Tosterud, Robert Stoltenberg, and Johanna Morck.

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery.

Question: Do you believe in trolls? Yes, that is my question for this review! Well, if you don't, you might believe in them after you see this "movie".

It's been a while since I've seen a movie. I can't really say why that is but this morning I decided to watch something that a friend asked me to review a few weeks ago. Actually, I joined a website last night and someone else mentioned it so I kind of thought - 'It's Sunday; I haven't seen a movie in over a week. Why not Trollhunter?' Yes, I am serious.

Alright, I am not sure how to describe this film and I really don't want to try. You should just see it for yourself. However, I will mention that it is a foreign film from Norway. So, there are subtitles. For the slow reader that I am, I didn't have any difficulty staying in time with this story. What a relief. I actually had to wear headphones because my laptop's speakers weren't loud enough, and I wanted to make sure I heard all the sound even though I couldn't understand a word they were saying. And the sound was pretty important to this film. Well, I found it fascinating at least.

Trollhunter is exactly is what this movie is about - a troll hunter named Hans. A small group of students wanted to film an alleged bear poacher that received a lot of media attention. However, when the students meet Hans, they join him on his "hunt" and stumble upon an adventure they never would have imagined. The story was not scary which was my first thought when my friend mentioned the title to me. It is in fact a satire - again, I how interpreted.

If you want to learn everything about trolls and their existence, then watch this movie. If you like watching documentaries, then Trollhunter is for you. If you want to giggle from time to time, then this is your flick. And last but not least, if you want to know how to kill trolls then by all means watch this movie - it is imperative. I found it on Netflix instant queue so if this sounds like it is right up your alley - go to Netflix right now!

The "acting" and the "story" were pretty good but I kept noticing (and it could have been just me) there were correlations to Jaws that had me grinning.(Even though Jaws scared me for life I have seen it a few times and can't forget any of it - ever.) Let's just say Hans has this one scene that reminded me of the speech Quint gives while they are in the boat. The other movie this reminded me of was The Blair Witch Project. That's all I am going to say about that.

Seeing the countryside of Norway was a treat as the troll hunter and the students were on their adventure, so for those of you who like to travel this might be a treat for you as well. It was breathtaking in parts especially when there weren't any ugly creatures taking the focus off the scenery.

Now, if you are easily offended or someone who is particularly religious, specifically Christian, you might not be a fan of Trollhunter.

You must have a sense of humor to enjoy Trollhunter and I promise this one was a fun one if you do. It was just what I needed to escape reality for a couple hours.

My favorite part: That something actually made me smile and giggle today.

My least favorite part: A few scenes had me gagging a bit.

Review: PG-13
Length: 103 minutes

Rating: 7 out of 10
Emily A

April 25, 2012
I'm going to go ahead and say it: this is the best monster movie I have ever seen. The reason it works so well is because the filmmakers have done all their homework: they've researched their mythology, they've built their world and really hashed out, in detail, all its rules. It's ingenious. Trolls! I wish I had thought of it. It's a really novel concept for a movie monster, and I loved watching Hans give the three students a tour of his job and his world. This flick is so funny and real and natural. I wish I had turned it on, not even knowing the title or the premise. "C'mere, mum. Wanna watch a documentary with me? It's a student film about bear poaching in Norway."
Anthony L

March 14, 2012
Even though this film is a bit like a mixture of Blair Witch Project, Where the Wild things are, Jurassic Park and Rare exports, it also feels pretty unique. There are plenty of monster films about these days as there are mockumentaries, what the makers of this film have managed to achieve brilliantly though is the perfect balance of scares and humour. The Trolls themselves look appropriately authentic to Norwegian folk tale and the final scene is as big and impressive as you'd expect from a monster film which I found have all been a let down in recent years. It's not too often these days that a film is as good as you'd hoped, especially with such a different idea. Brilliant!
flixsterman
flixsterman

November 26, 2010
It's The Blair Witch Project meets Where the Wild Things Are. Sit back, relax and have some fun.
paul o.
paul o.

January 18, 2012
A fun delight! Its absurd and awesome!
Shawn E

April 22, 2011
The first-person shaky camera technique is a little overdone, but still works well for the film. I wish the trolls were more believable, and the film took a stronger plot direction. I think the bits of comedy actually hurt the film, and I would prefer the film to be more serious with these gigantic deadly predators.
Mark W

November 5, 2011
First person shakey camera films have become an ideal way for budding filmmakers to make a name for themselves. To name a couple, "The Blair Witch Project" became a horror phenomenon in 1999 and "Paranormal Activity" has now become a horror franchise with consistantly reliant numbers at the box office. This time the Norwegians have a go with a competently handled mythological take on the sub-genre.
Student filmmakers Thomas (Glenn Erland Tosterud) and Johanna (Johanna Morch) set out to shoot a documentary about bear-hunting in Norway and trail mysterious, well-armed woodsman Hans (Otto Jesperson), whom they assume is a poacher. However, Hans turns out to be a government-sanctioned operative protecting the country from the ravages of giant trolls. Tired of secret heroism, the Troll Hunter lets the crew film his battles with monsters at great risk to themselves.
For budgetary reasons, films of this type keep the main attraction to a minimum. However, where the aforementioned movies relied predominantly on the human drama and reactions, this also happens to deliver the special effects when it matters. The trolls are impressively done. The effects provide more than enough to leave you happy with the technical achievements but also maintain a sense of wonder. The performances are also solid and natural which help in suspending disbelief. But like most films of this type, there is too much talking and not enough action. When the action is delivered though, the confrontations with the creatures are filmed with impressive tension and excitement. The mythological angle is also a refreshing one and it's encouraging to see the Scandanavians reclaim their folklore.
Yet another foreign language film that's due for an American remake and you can see why. The budget may be low but the film is still of a high standard.
Cynthia S

February 6, 2011
Give me a break! How could so many people like this ridiculous movie? If there were better imagined Trolls, maybe I would have liked it...but...they just looked retarded to me.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

September 27, 2011
I wanted to love this movie and I wasn't disappointed! Falling into a few of the handheld camera pitfalls of many other movies of its classification, Troll Hunter delivered in more ways than one, linking classic Nordic mythology together with real time video tapes that if we as an audience didn't know better, would have been very convincing indeed. Hats off to Ovredal for giving the audience a truly original take on a very tired method of film making. There was a lot of running with the camera, darkened woods and shouting in Norwegian, but if you have the patience to look past the obvious ploys to make the footage seem real, and have a talent for reading quite obscure but at times hilarious subtitles, this movie will surely not dissapoint.
Lewis C

April 22, 2011
Ever want to like a movie more than you actually do? Trollhunter is a recent example of that kind of movie for me.

It's an original spin on the "found footage" type of flick from Norway, which follows a trio of college students as they document the work of Hans, a troll hunter under the employ of the Norwegian government. The trolls are depicted here as a variation of their folk origins that fits into the real world while including things like their weakness to sunlight. The computer effects used to portray the trolls on screen are actually pretty good. You're not going to be blown away by how they look, but they're integrated into the environment well and the actors interact with them in a convincing manner.

I can't help but appreciate Trollhunter for its originality (after all, how many movies about trolls have you seen lately?), but it just didn't captivate me the way it should have, at least until the admittedly riveting last act. The characters didn't have much of a personality to get attached to (other than Hans), and I rarely felt like they were really in peril. As I mentioned earlier, a lot of these issues disappear in the last act, but I wish the entire movie could have been as interesting to watch as the final third.

I love the idea, but Trollhunter wasn't quite a home run for me. Still, I recommend it for anyone who's interested.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

April 12, 2011
Finally a Mocumentary/Found Footage film that doesn't take itself too seriously.

What makes this one interesting is that this time around the subject matter are creatures from folklore and fairy tales. Not some supernatural entity or creatures from outer space.

At first it sounds completely ridiculous (and lets face it...it is!), but they create enough of a mythology and backstory for the beasts and why there is a need for a "Troll Hunter"...that it really makes it kind of fun and interesting. And at times intense and almost scary.

The problem is that the film seems to struggle with who it's target audience is. It is too intense and scary for a younger audience (to spite the Muppet like trolls) and just a bit too silly (thanks to the Muppet like trolls) for horror/sci-fi fans to fully embrace and a bit to modern for fans of mythology and folklore.

So it's the select group of fans that can span all of these genres and appreciate them for what they are...who will find Troll Hunter a fun little adventure.