Tromeo & Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tromeo & Juliet Reviews

August 28, 2009
Once upon a time, Troma, the company that brought us cinema classics such as: The Toxic Avenger, Rabid Grannies, Poultrygeist, Redneck Zombies and Surf Nazis Must Die, decided long ago to adapt Shakespeare's famous play, 'Romeo and Juliet.' This adaptation decided to spice up the story by adding kinky sex, extreme violence, genital monsters, body piercing and incest and it succeeded in creating a bizarre yet hilarious film. Anyone going into a Troma production should know what to expect, and that is irreverent and perverse comedy with plenty of political incorrectness. Expect plenty of nods to other Troma films and plenty of re-used gags (flipping cars and head squashing). Many may think it sounds like utter crap that only morons would find funny...they may be right, but at the same time they may need to lighten up and enjoy the insanity and mind-numbingness that is Tromeo and Juliet.

With a great cast, a funny script (by James Gunn and Lloyd Kaufman), a fitting soundtrack and plenty of great visual gags, Kaufman has yet again succeeded in turning what is right upside down and grossing the hell out of everyone. Get some popcorn, grab a beer, invite your friends over and enjoy Tromeo and Juliet for what it is, a Shakespeare adaptation with plenty of balls. The end.
½ February 25, 2009
Transgressive punk black comedy version of the Shakespeare classic, with explicit nipple piercing, severed heads, an alien penis, and occasional bouts of iambic pentameter. Inventive, anarchic, and unpredictable, but only for those with a high tolerance for bad taste.
½ August 28, 2015
It's Shakespeare but not as you know it
September 1, 2013
One of the most expensive Troma films I think, and one of the better ones. Tromeo and Juliet is a trangressive take on the classic Shakespearean tale. Filled with the usual nudity, violence and sex. The acting was as bad as it could be, the plot was even worse, somehow this film was quite hilarious and made me crack up.
½ August 29, 2009
For some reason I keep watching utter rubbish films. I know I shouldn't expect much from a "Troma" film but still. I mean it's an interesting take on the Shakespearean classic. The story I guess remains intact, it's just the journey they take to get there is a the original track. It's interesting how they threw in some incestuous feelings even though that belongs in another piece. The way they "tip their hat" at Shakespeare is rather rude, having his image and name used for a "band". I don't know, I guess I grew up past Troma films when I was like 12. I guess I added their films to my list because I was trying to revisit my childhood as they were outrageous and I was young an innocent. Now that I'm older and have more sense I see past the crap that they fill their movies with. This isn't to say it's their worst movie, but it's not really a film for everyone. Pretty well don't think the movie is for anyone. Guess it speaks volumes about my patience to put up with finishing the movie. I think that most directors find Shakespeare easy to emulate or "make their own". The stories lasting all these years and still as popular as ever to remake. Certainly not the best retelling of the story, for the most part I think that all the remakes done are pointless. The originals are classic and works of art. It seems most directors just see it as a way to get their vision on screen. I'm not impressed. After one particular scene I don't think i'll ever be able to eat hot dogs again. Good lord. I'm quite certain most of the stuff in the film is out of place. The violence and other trademark Troma materials to accent their distastefulness. Guess maybe that just has to do with my feeling on their movies and find the whole thing distasteful. you can skip it and not have missed anything. I'm sorry but there are some truly fucked up images in this movie. Popcorn is ruined for me now too. This movie is rather horrible. Doesn't have the same playful tone that is often seen their previous films. It's down right mean and lags incredibly long but adds nothing substantial or interesting to the story. Listen to the "actors" spew forth the classic lines that once held so much feeling and meaning in their poetic mastery just seem out of place.
½ October 15, 2012
While it is still the same sort of gross-sick-sex-and-rambunctious-violence package that comes with Tromaville territory, James Gunn's script and (uncredited) direction makes it into genuine uneasy/queasy/disturbing territory (the plexiglass black-room that the Sir Capulet has is really freaky), and a little more creative than what Kaufman/Herz usually would come up with. But it is a Troma flick thru and thru (maybe too much - too many fucking previous Troma-movie posters, it's distracting to see a scene that should have plain walls and a 'Class of Nuke-em High' poster is always present behind the actors, as if we won't see your movie if we're already watching this), and in a way kinda helps the material: Romeo and Juliet is already a silly romance story, so to have so much silliness around it, it comes off rather nicely - and with an ending that is almost too cheerful to be actually unnerving. Se la vie.
September 26, 2012
I gave this a re-watch awhile back for the first time since the VHS days, which was ironically my first exposure to the whole Troma thing. This ended up setting a weird tone for my impression of Troma, as this one sort of aspires to slightly higher-brow levels than their output in the '80s which made them famous as B-Movie auteurs.

I enjoyed it back then for the sheer weirdness of it all, and I enjoyed the re-watch because I think I picked up on more of the actual parody than I did in my early '20s, just because I'm much better read at this point in my life.

Worth a rental.
December 5, 2008
Lloyd Kaufman's nod to Shakespeare the only way he knows how...gratuitously. just read the tagline and you'll know what your in for. It's also one of the finest independent films ever made.
December 16, 2008
This is exactly like the Leo DiCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet. Except it doesn't suck. And Leo isn't in it. And there are lesbians in it. And gore. And it's a Troma movie. And there's a guy who gets a TV smashed over his head. Oh, and Romeo and Juliet get it on... and James Gunn wrote it. OK, now that I think of it, this really isn't anything like the Leo DiCaprio version. Still worth a watch though.
May 22, 2009
Troma does it again with this rewrite of Shakesperes Romeo and Juliet.I'm sure it will have him turning in his grave but I was laughing in the isles!
June 2, 2008
This is by far the best version of the famous Shakespearian play. It adds a new twist while keeping with the same teenage angst and familial violence with a kiss of sex... in a Plexiglases box... Overall, IF you like good movies, This is definitely worth a look. Plus, you can probably find it for sale somewhere nice and cheap :) I think my copy was between 5 and 9 bucks.
October 26, 2007
This is a fine adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. It is very original, has an original ending, and does a lot with Shakespeare's material. I consider it a must see for both fans of Shakespeare as well as fans of cult cinema. Quintessential Troma.
½ August 22, 2007
for a Troma Film... it is pretty good ~ which means it is awful by other standards. but it has its moments.
May 23, 2007
For Troma, this movie is a triumph. It's a depraved film, but among other depraved films, it kicks ass!
April 26, 2007
Another one of my favorite movies. With Shakespear mixed with violence,body peircing and kinky sex whats their not to love?
April 6, 2007
i've said it once before and ill say it for every one of these movies, troma movies are by far some of the best and funniest things you will ever see, even when they are not trying to be funny
June 21, 2006
Yeah baby! Lesbians and low budget monsters make this the best make of Romeo and Jukiet ever! I can't believe Chuck doesnt want to see it
½ June 17, 2006
Another great addition from the Troma team that steps outside of the boundaries of normal Troma cheese
September 9, 2014
The most epic and beautiful retelling of The Bard's with a litteral and figurative Trouser Snake.
March 6, 2011
Disgusting and irreverent yet far more restrained (and therefore enjoyable) than the average Troma outing.