Truman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Truman Reviews

½ May 6, 2012
Truman succeeds at being a comprehensive, well acted, informative, and generally well written biopic. Undoubtedly the portrayal of Truman was too charitable, but the level of humanity that Gary Sinise was able to inject really carried the film throughout. I would have liked to see the more aggressive side of Truman, and some of his internal political battles with his own party, but for its running time, Truman manages to cover a lot of ground, and does so in a largely effective way.

3.5/5 Stars
½ July 5, 2012
Gary Sinise is downright uncanny as President Harry S Truman in this high quality HBO production. A strong supporting performance is also turned in by Diana Scarwid as the First Lady, Bess. Entertaining and enlightening: this is worth checking out, especially for a moviegoer who may have little knowledge of this very colorful statesman and his accomplishments.
June 16, 2011
A fine docu-drama that brought history alive with a screen-fitting story. It prompted me to read and seek out more. Something, though -- I'm not quite sure what -- stopped short of enthralling me as these political dramas sometimes do. So 4 stars for me.
January 19, 2016
Pretty well done movie ... Especially by the two lead actors ...
October 23, 2014
A nice dramatization of the 33rd President of the United States. No wonder it earned several awards and nominations. It's even based on a book of the same name that won the 1993 Pulitzer Prize for "Biography or Autobiography."
½ July 15, 2014
What a well done bio film. Gary Sinese completely disappears into the role of President Harry S. Truman.
January 11, 2013
A first class production covering the life of President Truman. I enjoyed learning more about this President and the rare insights into the political process and history of the US. Sinise was the perfect choice and I was glad to have seen him in such a great role.
½ September 30, 2012
Gary Sinise gives a terrific performance.
½ July 5, 2012
½ May 6, 2012

3.5/5 Stars
June 16, 2011
November 11, 2010
Gary Sinise is great as Harry S. Truman. This was a very interesting movie to watch and learn with. I always loved this president and now I know why, even more :)
August 21, 2010
Good flick. I love Gary Sinise!
May 17, 2010
The story of one of America's greatest presidents. If you have not seen this movie I suggest you do, it will open your eyes to all the decisions that Harry S. Truman had to make and all the challenges he faced. Gary Sinise did an amazing job in protraying the feeling and frustrations and sorrows of being the president during world war two.
February 23, 2010
I couldn't believe that it was actually Gary Sinise, it totally looked just like Harry Truman. And an amazing performance by Diana Scarwid as Bess Truman. Just overall simply wonderful.
½ November 21, 2009
Good and Interesting, weird acting, but not bad
November 10, 2009
A great story of President Truman and the events he dealt with. From both world wars, the atomic bomb, the korean war, communism, and civil rights; the movie projects a great account of his life and presidency.
August 13, 2009
not that good of a movie, in my opinion
½ July 14, 2009
This film about President Harry S. Truman has one of the best performances by Gary Sinise, (who famously played "Leiutenant Dan" in 'Forrest Gump'.)

The film starts in 1948 during Truman's campaign for the presidency, but flashes back to 1917 or so. After that, the film progresses through the story in traditional linear fashion.

Gary Sinise truly brings Harry Truman to life in the film, though the real Truman was far less eloquent than Sinise's incarnation. Even with the eloquence attached, this film would certainly do Harry proud. It shows Harry as he was: Honest, fair minded, and humble. He never wanted to be President of the United States, but he was pressured by F.D.R to be his running mate in the 1944 election. He only became President when Roosevelt died. He said it was as if "the moon, the stars, and all of the planets" had fallen on him. The film covers his decision to use the bomb on Japan, the entrance to the Korean War, and his decision to fire General Douglas MacArthur. He was a man who heard the call of his country, and did what was best for us. He showed us that the best leaders, sometimes are the ones who never sought power, but had it thrust upon them.

Diana Scarwid does a good job as Bess Truman, considering how the real Bess was an intensely private person, even while in the White House. (She only ever had one press conference, and she spent most of her time at their house in Independence Missouri.) She was not an Elenore Roosevelt/Jackie O/Nancy Reagan/Michelle Obama type of first lady, she wasn't even first lady material, but she certainly was the perfect match for the president.

There are a few qualms I found with the movie; It uses some intercut news reel footage of the real President Truman. Sinise captures the soul of the man, and you could swear you are looking at him when Sinise acts, but when you have real footage to compare to during the film, the physical differences become evident, and it gives the film some cheesiness. (It's not over bearing, it just is a little too noticeable when you watch it.)

The film has a very condensed feeling. I think it would have been better as a "John Adams" like miniseries.

Over all, I would have to give this film an A+. It's very long, but it worth the watch.
½ July 5, 2009
Quite possibly the worst biopic of a major politician I have ever seen - terrible production values (I haven't seen this much stock footage outside an Ed Wood spectacular), suffocating prosthetics, and an utterly superficial narrative that tells us next to nothing about the man's values or personality.