The Truth About Charlie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truth About Charlie Reviews

June 14, 2011
Tak Fujimoto and Jonathan Demme have shot this a lot hipper than anyone half their age could. Thandie Newton is great & funny, magically cute at few moments, and beautiful the rest of the time. She would make a fine, and definitely sexier, replacement for Audrey Hepburn in several films. The writers seem to have assumed that since no one can compete with Cary Grant, Mark Wahlberg shouldn't have good lines to work with. The homages to the French New Wave are clever and prettily situated, but they dispel the suspense atmosphere, and -- for me -- make the movie look like it's catering to anglophone snobs who can't stand a mere thriller. And Demme doesn't want to do a mere thriller that's hipper and more involving than usual. He casts the bad guys as an ethnic rainbow, and it turns out none of them are really bad, just misunderstood and misunderstanding other people. (Scary hook-hand guy from the original is now just a big lunk who requires electroacupuncture so he doesn't expire from cardiopulmonary stress -- I'm serious.) Each of the bad guys even hates violence; the only one comfortable with it is a betrayed 50s straight-arrow military type that was too unhip to be in the original Charade. Demme's kind of liberalism seems to aspire not only to banish all sense of menace from society, but also from its movie genres. (Star rating for Tak Fujimoto and Thandie Newton.)
½ December 11, 2010
Have you ever watched a movie and thought that you've seen it already. That happened to me with this movie. It was as interesting the second time as the first. The only thing I could remember from the first time to the second was that stamps were involved.

The movie is a whodunit, except from the point of view of a new wife who returns from a vacation and finds her husband has been murdered. It takes the whole movie for her and the viewers to find out about the husband's prior life and who killed him and why.
deano
½ November 28, 2006
This remake of 1963 movie is great, full of thriller by finding the truth.
April 10, 2013
Very cool film that doesn't quite approach the level of Matt Damon in the Bourne series but is nonetheless tremendously entertaining with many delightful and unexpected cameos.
John2223
½ June 5, 2007
The REAL Truth About Charlie is that it sucks!!
FanGirl
March 25, 2007
I know this film got bad reviews but I thought it was a fun mind bender. I really really did not figure the twists out before the end.
August 1, 2007
7/18/2015: Horrible! Newton is the only highlight of this film. The story was dull and outside of Newton, the dialogue and acting was pretty bad.
½ December 25, 2012
If Charade was raped by Shoot the Piano Player, this is the bastard offspring. Interesting choice of a Black woman as a villain, though - hardly ever see that in cinema.
April 26, 2012
The truth is that the dead character Charlie provided better acting than the rest of the cast. There was just something missing throughout, I really wanted to like it but nothing was done very well and the terrible acting really takes you out of it.
October 11, 2011
A very interesting Dance between two classics. THis film easily could have gone horribly wrong, but it works to a level of ackward fun.
March 23, 2007
I suppose this film will always be compared to Charade. Too bad it fails to compare.

I honestly thought it was a rip off of Charade, until I read the jacket notes and saw that it was intentionally a remake of the classic. Now we see what current movies lack today, ie starpower.

Many of these actors today are one hit wonders as were the Tab Hunters and Troy Donahues of long ago. There is no cultivation of stars anymore. They are called stars before their second movie. Anyone with 10 movies to his credit is called a legend!

No one compares in this film to Grant, Hepburn, Coburn, etc.

I gave it a 4 of 10 and wish remakes like this would cease being made.
½ August 26, 2010
I went into it WANTING to like it, despite it's bad reviews, but I just couldn't do it. It starts off relatively interesting, but just kinda bored me by the end. I just didn't feel anything for the characters and the movie just had an awkward way of playing itself out. Blah. I might be curious to the see the original though.
August 3, 2010
Can be very boring if you dont keep your full attention to it but thanks to good star performances from Thandie Newton and Mark Whalberg its easy to stay focused on the films prietty good style and plot.
½ February 17, 2010
Demme created a fun, frothy confection in his Post Punk/ French New Wave version of "Charade." The movie celebrates Paris, swing coats and l'amour. Unfortunately this sweet and light spy caper was released just after 9/11 at a time when critics were not in the laughing mood about international crime. Demme's film is worth rediscovering with fresh eyes; the soundtrack is sublime and the movie's handsome leading couple are young and in love in Paris. See it for the Dutch angles, exotic locales, cheer joi d'vivre and most of all for Aznavour, who pops up singing at just the right moments.
December 9, 2007
Most remakes don't seem to bother me, so it might've been my mood, but, though the acting and casting were good, I couldn't stop thinking of "Charade".
June 10, 2009
I have to be honest I really only remember that it was a little messed up but it was fairly decent or I wouldn't even remember that much about it.
½ February 1, 2009
The movie attempted to update Charade, but the plot did not hold up, especially as the script withheld large portions of it, such as the war experience, which was only ever hinted at in vague monologues and disjointed flashbacks. The characters were less compelling--I really didn't care about any of them, not even Reggie. The movie's biggest downfall was trying to make the characters morally redeemable. Why should I forgive Carson Dyle? Why? You've given me no reason movie! Why did they deserve the diamonds? And seriously, three unrelated accidents? Seriously? At least in Charade, these characters were self-admitted thiefs. Also, the pseudo-lesbianism of the police chief and one of the soldiers was more eerie than modern or erotic. Finally, what was up with those two moments where the music completely overruled the movie? I didn't follow those, aesthetically or otherwise. It may be unfair to compare this movie to Charade (which is one of my favorite movies) but even on its own, this movie does not hold my appeal.
November 12, 2008
Could have been a fun movie, but it was so disjointed and had so many irritatingly random scenes. I figured that with Mark Wahlberg, Tim Robbins and Thandie Newton I couldn't go wrong. And somehow this is the guy who directed Silence of the Lambs???
September 24, 2008
What Mark Wahlberg considers his "Medellin" that nearly killed his career, the only "Truth" about Charlie is that this didn't need to get remade and I feel sorry for Wahlberg that he invested a lot of his own money to get this made. Incredibly over acted and under directed. This movie was a catastrophe from beginning to end.