Turner and Hooch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Turner and Hooch Reviews

December 28, 2007
"This is not your room."

I remember some of these caninecop movies from the 80's. This one was probably the best of the bunch. The film also features a young Tom Hanks, who wasn't at that time a big star. That would happen after some years...

The film starts as a typical 80's cop movie with a saxophone tune on the background when the lead character is being introduced. It's immediately obvious that Hanks' character is a good, not your typical cop who is something of a neat freak.

The first time Hooch, a super drooler mastiff, was introduced, I became instantly infatuated with the dog. It looked somewhat of a Predator on four legs. The slow motion sequence, with its snout going all over... Excellent.

The story is a typical cop movie that has its moments but most of the movie concentrates on the building relationship between Turner and Hooch. Tom Hanks shows his comedic talents but most of the scenes are robbed by the dog. The scene where he shows the house to the dog, the stakeout scene, the end scene. All of these scenes were perfect examples on how a good dog 'actor' can make an average movie worth a look. Some scenes, especially in the end may give tears of laughter and sadness to all who admire these cute furry pooches.

As an end statement, I must confess that I'm a dog owner. I just love these "man's best friend's". I've always had dogs and I can understand the reactions of Hanks character, that occurred throughout the movie. You simply can't find a more trust worthy animal.
August 11, 2007
Funny movie about a cop and his side kick dog called Hooch, whom he needs to help him identify a murderer.
February 19, 2008
Tom Hanks is hillarious in this movie!!!!!!!
January 12, 2007
why did they have to kill the dog, they should have killed hanks instead
½ October 8, 2007
i loved it i thought it was funny and sweet and tom hanks is gawjus and soo is that dog
June 12, 2007
A enjoyable funny film. If you like dogs you should like this as Tom Hanks tries to get to grips with his adopted dog!
½ March 5, 2007
Inoffensive Tom Hanks vehicle, but it's the pooch who's the star of the show.
½ December 28, 2006
Tom Hanks being funny and a cop. What could go wrong.
½ November 9, 2006
Really funny between tidy and punctilious cop and the slobbering every-hungry dog since K-9.
October 3, 2006
The dogs the star
June 2, 2014
Tom Hanks and Beasley star in the ultimate buddy cop comedy Turner & Hooch. The story follows a small town police investigator named Scott Turner who catches his first murder case, and must use the victim's dog to identify the murderer. The film is pretty much an odd couple set up, with a fastidious cop forced to deal with a messy, slobbering dog. It's all pretty formulaic stuff, but somehow it works. Hanks delivers a good performance (as does Beasley), and is backed up will a strong supporting cast that includes Reginald VelJohnson and Craig T. Nelson. Turner & Hooch is entertaining and fun, but it's all been done before.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ January 7, 2011
The film is fairly amusing at points and holds reasonably strong characters with good chemistry, an emotional ending and excellent performances from Tom Hanks and, of course, the late, great Beasley the Dog. However, exaggerated at a deal of points, riddled with cliches, with a forced twist and periodically slow, drawn out, cheesy and annoying are not so optimistic ways of describing the film. A bit of a more notable problem is the film's inability to fully decide whether or not it wants to be a goofy shenanigans buddy comedy or a heavy detective film with a corny idea for a sidekick, especially in the final act. Still, "Turner and Hooch" is a classic time-killer that's entertainment value is surpassed only by its surprising memorability.
April 6, 2009
Such an incredible classic tale of a clean cut detective assigned to a nasty unkempt dog that happens to know who the bad guy in this...mysterious tale of "who done it". Truly a memorable funny movie...enjoyable anytime.
May 28, 2011
it's a better marly and me and is also tom hanks comidic performance! you'll sit up and be begging for more! A
March 29, 2010
Tom Hanks plays Turner, a police detective in a small California town who discovers his friend dead with no witnesses except for his dog, the slobbering and unruly Hooch who has to help him solve a case of finding the killer or killers. I love dogs and the young Tom Hanks so this movie worked for me.
December 1, 2007
Hooch is great!
February 16, 2006
Chief, would it be too much to ask to get an actual human as a partner? "No deal, it's either Hooch or Mr. Whiskers!"
September 22, 2008
Yeah, I watched this in a theater; a student pass will make you do some strange things.
August 10, 2009
It was funny, but nothing great. A nice watch for fun!
½ April 16, 2009
Damn dog movies always have the same effect on me. Tom Hanks with a gun blows my mind. The scene with him in his tighty whiteys growling and acting for dominance with the dog is one that I'll never forget even with years of therapy and it's been a while since I've seen it. Typical buddy cop style formula except for another person it's a dog. Rather predictable but was ok for it's time when the plot style hasn't been played out.