The Tuskegee Airmen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Tuskegee Airmen Reviews

flixsterman
½ January 17, 2009
A good film that could have benefited from a larger budget.
January 23, 2012
Based on a true story, "The Tuskegee Airmen" tells the story of a group of African American pilots and their challenges in becoming airmen for the United States to help fight for their country. The film includes many clips of actual footage of various missions being carried out mixed in with the rest of the acted material. The film is a simple but effective look into the troubled and corrupt world that blacks were forced to be part of during times of segregation. There were moments you could feel the pain and loss through their eyes and there were several times I connected with these men and their struggles. Overall this was a wonderful film that HBO made for television and is much more correlated with a theatrical film then a television movie. This is a solid watch no matter the color of your skin and is a great story of acceptance in the most basic of ways.
lesleyanorton
November 13, 2009
Ackackack go the enemy fighters, swoonswoonswoon go the soundtrack violins... Well, you could do worse than watch Laurence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr , Andre Braugher and more swoop stylishly through the air and stride fetchingly around in pilots jackets for ninety minutes , but both the calibre of acting and the true story of an elite squad of black US pilots fighting racism and Germans are let down by the made-for-HBO-tv overdramatics .
February 25, 2007
Boring. Laurence Fishburne is so terribly wrong for the part.
½ April 8, 2013
This story is inspiring and should be known by all. The movie portrays the characters as the heroes they are with perhaps too much bombastic score playing in the background. It is a great cast of actors (although Lawrence Fishburne is easily a decade too old for the character he is playing). In some areas I wish it had dug a little deeper and not been quite so obvious. For example does one of the white villains have to sneer all the time and have a Hitler moustache? People are a little more gray than that most of the time.
½ July 4, 2012
Started off strong with the training sequences but as it went along things seemed to lose cohesion. Still a solid film.
January 21, 2012
Incredibly stirring account of real life heroes, fighting a war and discrimination at the same time. Fishburne, Gooding, Jr., and Braugher bring a strong but quiet dignity to their performances.
October 18, 2011
I was expecting the worse and, while it was certainly not good, it did not prove as catastrophic as feared. Above all, acting is absolutely crisp, you could almost have done without the action. Actually, a touch more money to produce the action scenes and a hit of originalist in the writing of the script and the film could have turned into a genuinely good surprise.
April 7, 2011
This is a film worth seeing.

I was surprised when I saw this film and the number of actors who I recognized with actors such as Malcolm-Jamal Warner, Cuba Gooding Jr., Laurence Fishburne, Ned Vaughn, Ed Lauter, and many, many more.

This is a very impressive story about a group of people who had to go through extreme difficulties to even get recognized and ability to gain respect to prove themselves.

This is a film which may have you go WOOW! in recognition to the abuse, punishment, and segregation which these men went through to get acknowledged and to gain respect.
August 10, 2009
22/40 = Plot
17/30 = Main Acting
15/20 = Support Acting
3/5 = Effort
2/5 = Eye contact on movie

59/100 = total
May 27, 2009
Extremely cliche, but pulled off pretty well anyway. Gotta love Payne, Braugher, and Fishburne sharing screentime. Would like to see this story told with considerably less sentimentality though...
December 27, 2007
I've met several original Tuskegee Airmen, and to this day, their sharpness and heroism shines through the gray and white hair. This film, however, should have at least shown what happened to the Airmen after the war, and how they returned to a country that was ungrateful to their service.
December 27, 2007
good movie. Tells the story of some brve men who put thier life on the line for a country that thought they were not worth it.
October 18, 2007
Interesting documentary, but I wasn't fully impressed by the airmen and that made the subject matter a little uninteresting to me. I think it is all a bit exaggerated. Still, it has some interesting things to say.
½ August 14, 2007
All but one of the pilot characters in this movie are composites; the one, apparently, is Andre Braugher as Benjamin O. Davis. According to IMDB, he's painted quite faithfully. It's not my aspect of the war, however, so I couldn't say.

One rather gets the impression that they wish they could've found a spot in this movie for Morgan Freeman. Denzel Washington was, by this point, too famous and busy, but the movie has the same basic feel of [i]Glory[/i]--"hey, these actors are black; let's stick them in it!" Hence a movie with Malcom-Jamal Warner and Laurence Fishburne, really.

The secene with Eleanor Roosevelt isn't quite right. Sadly, I don't remember the details--there's a lot of information in my head--and Wikipedia isn't pulling it up for me. However, for a start, the whole thing was a lot more carefully orchestrated than they show it in the movie.

Further, and I don't know why they changed this, the real airmen, during their time in Africa, were flying obsolete planes that their white counterparts wouldn't have been given possibly even during training. Our heroes are shown during the movie as flying planes that were the same as everyone else's.

At any rate. We watch this movie to see Laurence Fishburne survive a whole slew of obstacles and just about everyone else whose name we recognize die horribly. It's in theory based on the real experiences of the 332nd, an all-black "experiment." In practice, you could stick just about anybody into half the film and have the same war movie; you'd just have to find a different reason for them to be disliked.

The other half the movie, and in my mind the more interesting one, is a more detailed exploration into the specific issues the Tuskegee Airmen faced. The political pressure on either side, for example, with John Lithgow doing a marvelous turn as a racist Southern senator. And good ol' Eleanor Roosevelt doing her part for racial equality. The battle scenes, which are half authentic footage, looking choppy and poorly-made compared to the rest of it. It's obvious that some of the footage is literally decades older than the rest of the movie.

Maybe they spent too much on the cast?
June 19, 2007
True story about on of the best fighter squadrons in WWII and the hardships they faced being African American in a very segregated Army.
January 19, 2007
"The true story of how a group of African American pilots overcame racist opposition to become one of the finest US fighter groups in World War II "

I get it and it had potential but it kind of flopped a bit. It is worth watching i wouldn't buy it though....the gist is a bunch of smart african pilots overcome racism to help defeat the nazi's and gain the respect of the bombers they are protecting...yea but it had alot of slow spots and not a expensive film which is fine...looked like it was just thrown together though....watch it if you are motivated

:up:
January 29, 2016
Excellent Movie showing every detail of the struggles these men faced, loved the cinematography in it, nicely balanced amount of airborne shots.
August 27, 2012
Though a bit cheesy by today's standards, the acting and vintage feel still makes for a solid film.