19% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Twilight Zone: The Movie Reviews

Phil H

August 7, 2011
Four stories by four directors, Spielberg, Landis, Dante and Miller, a great collection of directors and a neat selection of spooky tales. This is actually a great movie adaptation of the series which doesn't loose what it should be about and go overboard, the stories are remakes from the series including one original story.

First tale about a racist bigot who is somehow transported back and forth through time from Nazi Germany to Vietnam experiencing racism against himself has an obvious strong message of justice or revenge against prejudice in a very simple way. Landis does a reasonable job with the simple tale but its a little uninspired and would of liked a more horror based tale from the master of comedic terror.

Tale two from Spielberg is again rather uninspired but you can tell miles off its by Spielberg with its warm glow and gentle heart, a tale of old folk who dream of becoming young again and with the help of a mysterious old man in their retirement home they do overnight. Easily the tear jerker of the four and the nicest with strong similarities to the film 'Cocoon' which probably pinched the idea.

Tale three is clearly made by Dante, like tale two you can see the directors style clearly and by the way the short film looks design wise, trademark Dante finger prints all over with his fave actor Dick Miller used again. A fun and very eerie tale of a boy who can make anything he wishes come true and holds a group of people captive in his bizarre home, pretending to be his family the small group of people are merely scared of the boy and can never leave fearing the young boy may wish something terrible upon them. Its a spooky tale if you think about it and works very well, parodied by 'The Simpson's' in a 'Treehouse of Terror' episode surely means it deserves respect.

The final tale by Miller is a remake of the classic Twilight Zone episode which featured a young William Shatner 'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet', again parodied by 'The Simpson's' earning it even more respect and fame. A terrified airline passenger is driven insane by a combination of the fear of flying and the fact he can see a monster on the wing of the plane ripping apart the engine. Probably the best of the tales with a great concept and cool creature to boot, Lithgow does well as the passenger going insane from nerves and anxiety with a performance equal to the original whilst the gremlin looks perfectly kooky and unnerving.

Mixed bag of tales, the two from Dante and Miller being the best, Spielberg's is reasonable but boring and Landis I think picked the wrong type of story to best suit his abilities. Love the intro/end sequences with Dan Aykroyd and add to that a full list of top names in the cast all equal a decent film, could of been better but it still wins.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 6, 2014
Effective horror anthology, Twilight Zone-The Movie is a memorable horror film that ranks among the finest of anthologies. This type of horror film is hard to pull off due to the fact that it's multiple stories that are designed to scare the audience. This ranks among the finest anthology films in the genre and overall it's a highly entertaining film, one that every horror fan should watch. The film boasts an impressive cast, who each bring a terrific quality that makes the film that much better. There is not one weak story presented in the film, however there are at least one truly stronger than the last one, but that's a matter of opinion. I've never seen the show, but to those like me, who's never experienced the show, this film is sure to satisfy. In terms of sheer terror, Twilight Zone: The Movie is a very atmospheric, well executed genre film that is highly entertaining and thrilling. This is an essential anthology in the genre, and like I stated, is one of the best that I have seen. Well crafted, and executed, this anthology is a classic, and boasts impressive stories that are sure to delight any fan of whatever horror genre. This is a stunning piece of cinema, one that is sure to thrill any viewer of film, and it boasts some truly terrifying and memorable stories. I highly recommend this film, and it's a fine anthology, that set the standards of all films of this genre to follow. With effective stories, and a good cast, Twilight Zone: The movie is a great horror film that you shouldn't pass up.
Anthony L

October 30, 2012
Twilight Zone: The Movie is film that is probably remembered for all the wrong reasons, or at least not for the reasons the makers would have hoped for. Twilight Zone: The Movie is compiled by 4 different stories, the same format used in the original TV series. First off, I always found the original TV series to be far more creepy, certainly more terrifying when watching them as a small child. It's future shock film/alternative story telling at it's best. The film really is a 80s homage and there is nothing like an 80s homage (there's nothing like an 80s version of anything really, it's probably the most icon decade when it comes to film). Joe Dante's film is not great. It's more along the lines of Explorers rather than than Inner Space. George Miller's film is pretty good but watching John Lithgow scream and sweat in equal measure for 20 minutes straight becomes quite tiresome. Steven Spielberg's film is pure schmaltz, if it weren't for the presents of the ever lovable Scatman Crothers I would have thought they'd of axed it, Spielberg could have done much better at the time. The first film and by far the best is the one everyone remembers. John Landis's entry starred Vic Morrow as a bigot who is transported back to Nazi Germany, the Vietnam war and to a Klu Klux Klan hanging. It's the sort of story that made Twilight Zone so popular in the first place. However, it is unforgivable that John Landis was not held responsible for the accidental death of Morrow and the two child actors who died in the filming. He has always been remorseful on the subject, being quoted as saying "I live with the "Twilight Zone" every day of my life." in a 1991 interview but he still should have been charged. Half of me thinks that the film should never had been aired but at the same time it would have been a shame as Vic Morrow's last performance is great and his is a great film. It's a delicate situation really, it's an ok film but those 3 horrific deaths will always linger alongside it and I can't help but think it's probably a film that everyone involved with would like to forget.
Lucas M

October 28, 2011
Not better that the original series and sometimes boring, but The Twilight Zone: The Movie is a nice and entertaining bizzare movie very surrealist and kinda funny that presents some good actings, as like of John Lithgow. Fresh.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Call me critical of classics (or rather adaptations of classics), but this movie is very boring.
Jason C

March 3, 2011
I'd say that this didn't age well, but I can't imagine it was ever any good in the first place. I usually like stuff like this, this one is just painfully stupid. The few good ideas are poorly executed, there are no twists, and what's suppose to be scary is unintentionally funny. Embarrassing. Avoid this garbage.
Sajin P

February 6, 2011
1st Segment : 2.5/5
2nd Segment : 2/5 (Directed by Spielberg !!!)
3rd Segment : 1.5/5
4th Segment : 3/5
AJ V

September 6, 2010
I love The Twilight Zone, it's one of my favourite shows, so when I heard about this movie, I just had to see it, since then it's been one of my favourites. The movie takes episodes from the show, and sort of updates them, so it's very interesting to see if you're a big fan of the show. Plus, there's a good cast. I love this movie, and I highly recommend it.
Nicki M

January 25, 2008
Made up of four short stories - none of which I would call scary. The first with the racist guy is really weak and boring. The second, with the old people is sweet more than scary. The third, (creepy kid) and fourth (aeroplane) are marginally better, but more cheesy than anything else. Perhaps it was better in it's day...
TheGame90
TheGame90

February 18, 2008
It was pretty good...and good music
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 26, 2007
Despite the controversy, this is a great collection of stories with George Miller's entry being the best.
James A

March 4, 2006
Four great solid stories that make me want to see more old episodes.
Lafe F

July 7, 2007
An anthology of big-screen Twilight Zone tales.

Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks get us in the mood with a late night car drive, reminiscing about the old TV show.

Vic Morrow plays a racist who is thrust into the shoes of persecuted blacks, jews and vietnamese, for a eye-opening tale. Too bad about the real life tragedy which befell this shoot.

Scatman Crothers plays a game of kick the can with some old folks home residents for some juvenile fun. This segment dragged things down a bit, but there's a great conclusion.

Kathleen Quinlan plays a visiting teacher to a town cowering in fear over a small boy with god-like powers. The scenes at the boy's home are genuinely creepy. It has a very touching resolution.

Finally, John Lithgow plays a passenger on a stormy airplane ride, who sights a creature attempting to sabotage the plane's engine out the window. It's great freaky paranoid tension which brings the movie to a screaming finale.

Overall, the whole series of tales is a fun ride.
Dr Blood

June 21, 2007
The best tale involves a demon pulling the bits off the wing of a plane while John Lithgow is driven crazy thinking of ways to stop it.
Cindy I

May 16, 2007
Not all of it was good, but all in all enjoyable. I would be interested in seeing what the episode with Vic Morrow would have been like had he not died during the production.
Beefy
Beefy

May 13, 2007
Gave me the creeps when I was younger.
garyX
garyX

January 10, 2007
Successfully captures the spirit of the TV series by presenting an uneven mix of half-arsed sci-fi shorts full of dodgy metaphors and cornball moralising. The final segment is the best, as (shockingly!) John Lithgow's thespian abilities are more than a match for William Shatner's...
Disappointing considering the talent involved.
Dann M

January 21, 2014
Four legendary directors come together to pay tribute to the vision of Rod Serling with the anthology film Twilight Zone: The Movie. John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, and George Miller each direct a segment that's based on an original Twilight Zone episode. However, these adaptations don't really live up to the original episodes, and they don"t flow together very well. Still, there are some interesting performances by Burgess Meredith, Dan Aykroyd, Scatman Crothers, and John Lithgow. Twilight Zone: The Movie is an interesting homage to the series, but it fails to capture the same tone of wonder and imagination.
Luke E

December 8, 2011
I can't say this is a directing achievement for John Landis, Joe Dante, Steven Spielberg or George Miller, but its watchable. "Kick the Can" was my focus, its interesting as a segment, but the whole film acts more like a tele movie for the TV show.
Chris B