63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Twin Warriors (Tai ji zhang san feng) (The Tai-Chi Master) Reviews

garyX
garyX

June 2, 2007
Two childhood friends are expelled from their Shaolin monastery and find themselves on opposite sides of a conflict between freedom fighting rebels and the tyrant who is pursuing them. With Woo-ping Yuen in the director's chair and Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh as its stars, you'd expect a feast of martial arts mayhem from Tai Chi Master. You'd be damn right. Some of the frenetic action sequences are truly eye boggling (the amazing staff fights in particular, which were revisited by Yuen when he served as action director for The Matrix Trilogy) and the supporting cast including Siu-hou Chin and Fennie Yuen more than hold their own with the stars. There is also some nice Jackie Chan style humour in the opening scenes that has some genuine warmth and it thankfully avoids the kind of overwrought melodrama and sentimentality that can mar this type of film. It's a shame that the story loses its way during the forced slapstick and silliness of Li's mental breakdown towards the end as it stalls the pacing quite badly, but it soon gets back on track for a suitably spectacular final showdown. Maybe not a world changer and it lacks the artistry of the likes of Crouching Tiger, but it's certainly worth the time for the astonishing combat scenes alone.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

August 31, 2008
Great action sequences from Yuen Woo Ping, the story jumps here and there but who cares. One of the bad guys uses people as human projectiles. That's very much ok in my book.
skactopus
skactopus

March 26, 2007
Yuen Woo-ping packs it all in with Tai Chi Master.Moving along at a brisk pace, the 90 minute run time of this picture becomes a brief sit through. The story is simple and straightforward without getting overly detailed, and there is even some effective humor to top everything off. Oh yeah, and then there is the martial arts.The action is the obvious highlight of the film and it comes in bunches with some vivacious editing, spectacular choreography, and an abundance of wire-work fighting. There are many scenes where the wires are visible, but in the grand scheme of things, this is a minor setback. The sound effects are inferior, but it works out nicely when it's all said and done.Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, and Chin-Siu Ho not only carry this film by showcasing their martial arts, but they also put up enjoyable acting performances as well. Cheung-Yan Yuen joins the fun by providing most of the comic relief.Tai Chi Master has all the right pieces to become a highly recommendable martial arts film out of China. Check it out.
Lanning :

August 21, 2010
Like many martial arts films, the fight scenes in this one could use some tasteful editing. There are many martial arts films that tend to overindulge in the fight sequences to the detriment of story flow. There is, however, only one Jet Li, so Li fans should never miss a chance to see him do his thing, no matter how long the movie.
deano
deano

December 23, 2006
I love this martial-arts action, great fight choreography sequences with Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh together from beginning to end.
Steven V

August 17, 2008
Certainly one of the coolest kung-fu movies ever. This film is also known as Twin Warriors. Great martial arts, great tension among all characters.
December 16, 2008
In America this has been re-released as Tai-Chi master and really takes Jet Li on a path rarely seen.
Jesssse26
July 27, 2009
AHHH hes kicking people at me!!! c,mon now... i dont like these types of movies flying in the air for 5 seconds while fighting not my thing. so fake and it looks so fake keep it out of my kung fu movie please.. But besides the flying.the action was great. worth a watch
JcobCrim
April 21, 2009
The story itself was not very interesting, but it was written in a humorous manor so it made it more bearable, but the fight sequences were great. Top notch kung fu film.
jrod260
August 27, 2008
I liked the chinese language version betteer than the nglish one. When they translate, it just sucks! View it in Chinese and put on the english sub-titles! Michelle and Jet make a great team!
August 17, 2008
So happy to own a subtitled version of this film finally, so I'll never again have to sit through the dubbed version that was released here as Twin Warriors.

Such a great film, campy humor mixes easily with the amazing wire-fu, and the results are just stunning. This film is well worth a look to any fan of the martial arts genre.

Recommended.
nativesunljt
January 31, 2008
A great film and a decent story. What is paramount in this movie is the Martial arts by the stars. Just awesome and kind of funny. It really rocked.
redbirdlotus
November 27, 2007
When I saw this I was so happy. I wanted to see Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh in a movie together for a long time.
princesspassiondiva
September 1, 2007
Oh man...This movie was kick ass. Jet Li and his introduction of Tai Chi...A MUST SEE if you're into hard core kung fu or foreign films.
LouGuyLV
July 1, 2007
Chinese language versions of Jet Li's films are better. The remastered sound and music make the american released versions less interesting.
hayabusa3
March 9, 2007
Oe of my favorite Jet Li movies. Certainly my favorite pre-Qing Dynasty Shaolin film he's done. The fight scenes are spectacular, the story of friendship and betrayal is captivating, and the humor that is breifly interjected is quite fun. If you're looking to see jet Li at his best, both in terms of fighting ability and acting range, check this movie out.
bushleeroy
December 23, 2006
This movie is the epitome ob "bad" in the best way possible. Michelle and Jet are an awsome combination. The fight scenes in this movie are off the chain as well.
baconcheese
September 15, 2006
i loved this film! action packed unti lthe end. great choreography and sequences by both jet and michelle.