20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Tyler Perry's Good Deeds Reviews

Everett J

June 25, 2012
I enjoy Tyler Perry's movies, especially the Madea flicks. However, his movies can be very melodramatic and borderline Lifetime TV quality. Here, "Good Deeds" is one of those borderline movies. Perry plays Wesley Deeds, a rich businessman who feels like he should be doing something else with his life. He meets a single mother(Thadie Newton) who is down on her luck, and he sets out to help her and hopefully find some meaning to his life. The story is kind of generic, or as I called it "a prostitionious-less, black version of Pretty Woman". Even Emily kind of agreed with that. The performances are ok, but over the top with the drama. It also drags out at nearly 2 hours, and could have been about 20 minutes shorter and told the same story with probably better effect. I don't think this is his worst movie, but it's far from his best. I'd say it could have used some Madea, but she wouldn't have fit in anywhere in this movie, so she isn't missed. Perry fans will probably give it a "meh", but even a "meh" Perry movie, is better than no Perry movie.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

May 19, 2012
Wesley Deeds is About to Discover the Person He Was Meant to Be.

Not bad or great. It is a script with certain imbalance and some organizational issues. Nevertheless, as a light romance story about a man's desire to chase his dreams, it is a movie that delivers sufficiency and warmth occasionally. It is not a movie that shines, but it remains a simple and interesting story with an attempt to tell a message.

A successful, wealthy businessman, Wesley Deeds Tyler Perry) has always done what's expected of him, whether it's assuming the helm of his father's company, tolerating his brother's misbehavior at the office or planning to marry his beautiful but restless fiancee, Natalie (Gabrielle Union). But Wesley is jolted out of his predictable routine when he meets Lindsey (Thandie Newton), a down-on-her-luck single mother who works as a cleaning person in his office building. Outspoken, impulsive and proud- and also recently evicted- Lindsey struggles to make ends meet for herself and her young daughter. But when Wesley offers to help her get back on her feet, his innocent good deed ignites and unexpected attraction- and suddenly Wesley finds himself caught between the life he thought he wanted and the powerful desires of his heart...
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

February 26, 2012
I liked the story...good people getting together, trying their best to do the right thing. This is my first Tyler Perry movie and I think now I have to go back and look at some of the others.
Fascade F

June 16, 2012
Being pushed over the edge in so many directions not only as a successful businessman, but as a member of his family, Wesley Deeds (Tyler Perry) has for quite sometime continuously compromised his patience with tolerating his brother Walter (Brian J. White) irresponsible behavior or putting up with his fiance's Natalie (Gabrielle Union) pressure for marriage in a loveless relationship. Just when things couldn't get any better, a "by chance" meeting with a single mother Lindsey (Thandie Newton) who is so far down and out on her financial luck, that Wesley decides to go out of his way, to assist her and in doing so finds, that through her misfortune that "good deed" in helping her gives him the courage to find the happiness through change in his life. A wonderful and humorous drama. Try seeing this!
September 4, 2013
Pretty predictable...but it was a good cast and it had a few turns I didn't expect. I really was just waiting for the ending I knew was going to happen anyway....
March 31, 2013
Tyler Perry does it again. Clearly a movie focused on the covert examination of class divisions within the African-American community in San Francisco, "Good Deeds" is a MUST SEE! I tell you ... the more I watch his non-Ma'Dea films, the more I am starting to see he is not only a GREAT film maker but an outstanding actor, as well. I liked the fact that it was just the right length, for mMany directors would have tried to shave off 30 minutes ... but not Tyler ... he truly knows how to fully develop his characters and in this particular film ... he almost yanked a tear out of me twice. This film is deserving of 4 stars out of 5.
February 3, 2013
Great movie....Classic Tyler Perry movie/plot...very well done....I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone who in the mood for a feel good movie...I love Tyler Perry!!
September 28, 2012
I give this movie 2 stars out of 5. Reasons: 1 star because Tyler's is attempting to stretch and I applaud that. 2nd star because Madea wasn't in it. Personally, this story reminded me of too many other films (including other films he's made and *cough* "The Pursuit of Happyness" *cough*) and as usual it's wrapped in a Hollywood-by-way-of-Atlanta bow. I think it's a great cast, but I think they lacked direction. I think it's an interesting story, but very predictable. I love films and don't fully regret watching this. But I wouldn't recommend it.
June 26, 2012
This was on my to see list...However, if I had to do it all over again. Enough said...This was boring and some other stuff that I can't even think to say right now. Tyler Perry's movies are usually funny and at least has something of a plot if not a decent story line. Dude were you bored and out of it when you wrote this? Sorry, Charlie...But this one didn't make the grade for me!
July 10, 2012
i like the tyler perry movies where he's playing himself more than him playing a lady. although the storyline was predictable, i enjoyed it and sympathized w/ the characters, etc.
July 6, 2012
i love this movie tyler perry keep doing your thing n continue making these best sellers i've always supported you n will continue to do just dat
June 28, 2012
I love Thandie Newton. I always have. But even she could not save this predictably flat story. Perry's characters all served very finite purposes, lacking any complexity. Newton the victim, White the foil, and Deeds, as the title suggests, the good one. The film's cast was satisfying but overall, the one-dimensional plot and lack of humor made for one somber ride.
June 20, 2012
I'm not proud to say that I think I prefer the Madea movies that he does. Some are actually good and since he always uses the same actors you expect him to use the same characters too. If you bother to read wut the movie is about, it's insanely predictable. It's not a horrible movie from start to finish, but it's not like he even throws in a twist for anyone either.
June 18, 2012
The critics missed this one, big time! I'm not much for these types of movies, but I always give Tyler Perry a shot as he's generally trying to make some (good) point about family and relationships. This movie doesn't miss that mark at all. Definitely worth watching on video.
Leoman555
June 14, 2012
It wasn't as comical as I was seeking for it to be, but real life lessons learned in the movie. I liked it. It could of have a little bit more going on within the movie, but again, it was good.
March 11, 2012
Man when I was Watching-The Previews of this Film as Tyler Perry played The Main Charactor as Wesley Deeds in this Film,I was Thinking that this was a Huge Mistake since I Think that Perry is a Good Screenwriter,Director & Storyteller but After The Wait.I was Right that I Think that Actors from The Like's of Laurence Fishburne,Terrance Howard or Don Cheadle could of been Better as Playing Wesley Deeds but I was Also Hearing Rumors that Perry wanted to Try Something Different compaired to Dressing Up as an Old Madea in his Previous Films for The Past Seven Years but The Story was Predictable kinda of like Will Smith's 2006's In The Pursuit of Happyness but The Film was also a Feel Good & Insperational Film not Too Preachy like Most Religious Themed Films but Some of The Charactors were Written & Directed-Very Laughable & One Dimentional like Wesley's Annoying Brother-Walter & Some of The White Charactors in The Film but I Think that-Thandie Newton's charactor Lindsey was Pretty Good but Overall,I Think that Next Time-Perry should Stick to Directing, Screenwriting & Stay Away from Playing a Serious Main Leading Charactor Role like The Lifeless Robotic Wesley Deeds but The Film was Good but it was like Perry Tried his Best but The Film had alot of Predictable Surprizes but Overall in Some Moments in The Film there were Part's in The Film that were supposed to be Serious but with somewhat with The Direction cameout to be Funny as The Kind of Funny you Laugh At not With.Overall-Perry's Good Deeds is a Good Matinee or Rental
March 5, 2012
Much to my surprise, most of the first hour of "Tyler Perry's Good Deeds" works exceedingly well for what it is, held together by strong performances from the leading cast. And it's all the more shameful that the remainder of the film spirals disastrously out of control into a scatter-shot, unbearably preachy, blog-post-like ideological rant from Perry.
March 2, 2012
This Movie really moved me. It made me very proud of the success we can have as people, and not to forget to follow are real dreams.
zaneataylor
February 27, 2012
There were so many dimensions to this movie that really cause you to think about life and who you are living your life for. I enjoyed every minute of it and this film was a major step up for Tyler Perry. He is an amazing actor and creative genius. It was nice to see him step away from his usual material and branch out.
January 16, 2012
this is, bottom line, one of, if not the best, Perry film. yeah...there's things that could have been better. but it was a good story, well acted, minus the minstrel stuff that people lean on Perry for. i sat in a theater of about 400 ppl and when the screen went black, they applauded. i did too...