UNDEAD

UNDEAD Reviews

WrenchLT
WrenchLT

January 11, 2011
Probably the most bizarre and unpredictable Zombie movie ever! This low-budget Aussie effort starts off as an extremely gory and darkly comic "Shaun of the the Dead" type flick, then things get a little... weird! Too weird for me. But I enjoyed the first half of the film delivering some very good bloody action despite the low-budget.
_kelly .

February 2, 2008
Horror Not to Miss List Commentary:This is one of my top indie zombie flix, and I prefer it better to its other Australian peer Braindead by Peter Jackson. Though some audience members are frustrated with the genre-blurring that occurs because the film-makers are looking to up the visual ante of their movie, and they are thusly accused of being Spielbergian because of some of their additional creatures design and action-based horror scenes. I think it's all done just right, including the occasionally stiff acting. There are so many innovative zombie scenes, my favorite being a pair of walking legs with accompanying spinal cord, sans a torso. The protagonists are given action-style cinematic hyping, but it's justified and cool, not unnecessary and forced. Here's a zombie movie that not only bothers with continuity and structure, but the independent film-makers, two brothers, behind it further proved their dedication to this project by doing all of the CGI themselves on a 700mhz processor computer, for three years after shooting concluded. These effects are on par, and in some cases better, to what big Hollywood bucks is turning out even years later. This is truly proof that auteurs are still alive and, beyond that, still bothering to work with a concept/genre considered exhausted like zombies. Overlooked by zombie fans and totally misunderstood by mainstream viewers.
Emily A

October 8, 2007
I think the goal of this movie is to make a campy throwback movie that evokes the movies that the Sperig brothers loved growing up. It's like an Australian equivalent of Slither. But with much less finesse. But what it lacks in elegance is makes up for in sheer exhuberance, gore and giddiness. The comparison to Brain Dead is apt: it makes as much sense and is as much fun to watch. Aliens, and zombies, and killer acid rain, and hicks who know some sort of upside-down shotgun karate. I enjoyed this movie, but it lacked the freshness and novelty that was so delightful about Jackson's film.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

May 11, 2008
This movie isn't good horror, comedy, schlock or any other genre I can fit in into. It's terrible in all categories. Avoid like the plague. I want my 90 mins back.
garyX
garyX

May 25, 2007
A meteor shower hits a small fishing town in Australia, and the locals spontaneously turn into flesh eating zombies. And yes, we have a small group of survivors holing up in remote house in the woods, a gun toting Clint-esque hero and every other cliche associated with the genre. Essentially, it's 28 Days Later without the laughs, which considering it's supposed to be a comedy is not a great start. Touting itself as the Australian Shaun Of The Dead, it lacks all the wit and subtlety of that film, the script coming across as an ill conceived sitcom with gratuitous blood and guts that the writers seemed to be making up as they went along. Throw in some Hot Fuzz style action cliches and a Twilight Zone style ending and you have an extensive hotch potch of ideas, but not one of which is remotely original. In a comedy, this of course does not matter as long as it's funny. It isn't.
Michael G

September 3, 2007
I saw it a while ago and remember liking it. It started off silly, started aping John Woo from a style standpoint and just got outlandish and ridiculous. Not the good kind either. Worth seeing, but not owning.
nuheart
nuheart

December 25, 2006
Pure shite. More proof that Australians have no idea what they're doing when it comes to horror.
Edward B

October 21, 2006
There's just too much going on. We have an alien invasion, zombies (zombie fish), people coming in and out of zombie states. and none of these are fully developed. It tries to go for so bad, it's good status, but it's just bad.
Sylvester K

August 8, 2012
Enough guts and gore to entertain, characters were all interesting, it's kind of campy and there were many plot holes but the explanation of zombies and aliens were quite intelligent, jokes were funny too, maybe a little bit too dark to be a good black comedy. It's certainly different than any other zombie films I've seen.
Jason R

July 3, 2009
Okay so if you have seen Peter Jackson's Bad Taste then this film may seem a bit familiar with it's Zombie/Alien plot and it's all around kookiness. But that is where any comparison ends, as Undead is a very hyper-stylized and imaginative take on a style of horror that has had trouble finding a lot of critical success outside of Australia. But with such a pretty country as it's backdrop and loads of great effects, and characters. Undead unravels into a really cool little film to watch, despite some plot issues that cause a little confusion, at least with me Undead is worth a look for those who enjoy a good gore filled Zom-Com.
nickymo89
nickymo89

July 22, 2008
Great campy, cheesey zombie flick. Everything a B-movie is supposed to be. Fun, gory, pure entertainment for those who don't need the big budget baddies and c'mon... it's got zombie fish! lol
Christopher B

January 31, 2008
Looked good, sounded good, sucked shit.
John2223
John2223

November 11, 2007
This is a comedy/sci-fi/horror zombie with a 50's style. Funny, gory and entertaining.
Adam M

August 15, 2007
A fun zombie film with some really funny,exciting moments.
iLeo
iLeo

March 29, 2007
Great movie for gore! Good overall.
Jason S

March 26, 2007
This Aussie Zombie movie was actually quite good. Clever storyline, fun and a little scary.
PC79
PC79

November 20, 2006
Ironic twist at the end! Great movie!
FanGirl
FanGirl

June 21, 2006
Finally a zombie movie with a reason for the zombies. Just crazy fun all around.
Laurence C

May 27, 2006
We're extremely far from House Of The Dead, but it isn't enough to salvage Undead from being clunky, unequal and messy.