Unforgivable Reviews

Harlequin68
July 8, 2012
In "Unforgivable," Francis(Andre Dussollier), a famed author, is looking for a quiet place in Venice to do some writing, so Judith(Carole Bouquet), a real estate agent and art expert, suggests a nearby island. After thinking about it, he says he will take it if she moves in with him. Despite having doubts about sharing a bed with a man, a year and a half later they are married when his daughter Alice(Melanie Thierry), an actress, and granddaughter Vicky(Zoe Duthion) come to visit. All goes well until Alice disappears. First, Judith checks with Alvise(Andrea Pergolesi), a shady bit of nobility, before employing her friend Anna Maria(Adriana Asti), a semi-retired private detective, to take the case.

If the movie "Unforgivable" has one thing going for it, it is the city of Venice which been filmed many times before, but not quite like this as it smartly explores the dividing line between tourist and resident. Outside of its setting and the very fine acting, the movie has more than its share of flaws, starting with the derivative jealousy storyline involving Judith's past and present, although I do like the line about her turning others on but nobody turning her on which definitely reminds of me of a former friend. And then there are the other tangents in this rambling narrative which at least serve in the telling the intriguing story of this extended family, of which Anna Maria is the most interesting and ironically given the shortest shrift. What would have worked better is a more compact narrative in a controlled structure.
February 24, 2015
This French drama was directed and co-written by one of the stalwarts of the French film industry Andre Techine. It has an all-star cast which includes the veteran award winning actor Andre Dussollier and the very talented Carole Bouquet.They make it out to be a much larger age difference in the movie, but Bouquet and Dussolier are in fact only twelve years apart. He just looks much older, as Carole Bouquet is youthful and extremely attractive for her age. Is it a stretch such a good looking woman would so desperately choose and want to be with him? is interested not so much in plot details as the phenomenon of characters who seek peace yet wind up in eternal conflict.Techine keeps his characters at an intimate distance from the viewer. You get to know them better with each passing season, yet they remain unknowable. Because they barely know themselves! Until the final moment, Francis isn't sure what is it he wants. He thinks it is to finish his novel. But there the novel finally is, in his own hands, and he's still unsatisfied.
As befits a film made mostly by old hands in front of and behind the camera, Unforgivable is as smoothly made, as those waters between Venice and Sant' Erasmo are choppy and unstable.
July 30, 2013
Interesting story and characters with some solid performances.
½ June 30, 2013
With UNFORGIVABLE Andre Techine once again shows what a master he is at exploring the complexity of human nature. Never a showy director, Techine breaks all the rules when it comes to character development and plot construction. Each scene naturally ends with a major surprise that undermines all else we understood prior but it's all logical, so in effect, it's not a surprise. Watching UNFORGIVABLE I kept thinking "Who would write this?" And yet it's all so logical in an illogical human way. All of Techine's characters seem so in sync only to become totally at odds. UNFORGIVABLE is like those times in life when you rehearse the outcome of a situation over and over, only to find it all collapse in the end, spiral out of control or in a different direction. No one behaves as we wish. No one is who we think. Including ourselves. UNFORGIVABLE is a truly stunning work that left me mesmerized.
April 12, 2013
Coated with a despicable air of self importance beginning with the film's introduction, the film ultimately has little to say and doesn't say it too well. The fine performances seem wasted.
August 13, 2012
Strange, strange movie. But very interesting.
August 11, 2012
Actually, I went to 2/3 of the movie and walked out. All the characters suffered from terminal COLDNESS and I no interest in knowing what would happen in the greatly underdeveloped plot. I wish I hadn't wasted my money.
Harlequin68
July 8, 2012

June 26, 2012
There is n o doubt that this is a complex and technically proficient film, but it failed in making me care much for the characters. Still, there are some scenes that will surely stay with anyone who watches it.