43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

86% The Knick: Season 1

Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business Reviews

Joseph E

October 21, 2009
I decied that I'd give it credit for the promising West, but that's it.
Dave J
April 7, 2014
Monday, April 7, 2014

(1998) Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business
SCIENCE-FICTION ACTION DRAMA

Slightly better than the previous one called "Universal Soldier II: Brothers in Arms", but still quite awful, overall, because of the production budget and the fake looking action scenes. Matt Battaglia returns to the title role of "Universal Soldier" Luc Devereaux or GR44, and viewers get to find out what 'G.R.' stands for which are the initials of every 'Universal Soldier' cyborg ever created. They are really the initials of someone's name, who is the person who funded the cyborg program played by Burt Reynolds. And at the same time, both Luc and reporter Veronica Roberts (Chandra West) must find a way to expose this to the media. They are confronted by radical terrorists attempting to hijack a building, but after shot dead, they are later turned into Universal Soldier cyborgs as well. One of the major fights, which is kind of lame, consist of a major fight between brother to brother.

2 out of 4 stars
October 28, 2012
The film can be compared to taking a bite off a big smelly dog poop. Impossible to recommend to anyone.
Blurred Face Reviews
May 17, 2010
If you like my man Van Damme and you like the origanal, this movie will not dissappoint you. Extremly entertaining and not to out of control. Arlovski does a great job acting like an ass kicking robot and JC VD puts in work as well.
David G.
May 17, 2010
Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren together... oh, sweet success! Shocked as you may be, as was I, this Universal Soldier DVD-only movie is not all that bad! What makes this movie pretty good is that the action is mixed in with very minimal conversation. Van Damme's one line quips after every punch or kill are peacefully missing here. He is set on disarming a bomb attached to a power plant and must destroy everything in his path to complete his mission, even a clone of his old ally. Thrown into the mix of Universal Soldiers is MMA fighter Andrei "The Pit Bull" Arlovski, who provides more hand to hand action to the film. This was still not the best of movies but this is one of Van Damme's better films. Regeneration is a successful movie and will prove to be a good rental. (Now if they can do another sequel with Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, Antonio Sabbato Jr, Kevin Sorbo, and Brian Bosworth............ Best. Movie. Ever.)
SnuffSaid
May 17, 2010
As a childhood fan of Roland Emmerich's original and Van Damme films in general, I can't deny the twinge of guilty anticipation I felt upon first hearing about this upcoming release. More often than not however, updates and sequels created outside the era of their predecessors tend to miss the mark or, perhaps more likely, just fail to carry the same weighty influence on your adult mind as they did during adolescence. That said, on this occasion I was actually pleasantly surprised.

For those uninitiated, Universal Soldier?s premise is that of recently deceased US troops being medically resuscitated using an ingenious procedure, that in the process makes them more physically capable and combat efficient, as well as conveniently programmable. This is explained in a verbose and scientifically flimsy manner that it?s best you don?t scrutinise too closely.

This time around, political hostages are taken by some obscure Eastern European faction demanding independence from Russia. Utilising a ?next generation? of Universal Soldier acquired from the quintessential mad scientist, who recently defected from the American research project. They also manage to occupy the reactors of Chernobyl, threatening to detonate them and release a cloud of radioactive fallout if their demands are not met. After a joint operation by two of the world?s leading superpowers spectacularly fails to resolve the situation, it?s all on ?The Muscles From Brussels? to single-handedly save the day. Compelling stuff, no?

Originally, the plot focused primarily on two of the first soldiers to be initiated into the ?UniSol? programme, Pvt. Luc Deveraux and Sgt. Andrew Scott, played by Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren respectively. The rivalry between these two men, before and after their ?death?, was the driving force behind the initial films plot. Unfortunately, with the exception of a few minor allusions, this entry could very much be a standalone film due to its refusal to acknowledge this established timeline. The weathered title characters vaguely but never fully recognise eachother, which is put down to memory loss, a cop-out made even more disappointing by Lundgren?s deceptively small amount of screen time. During which time all he really gets to do is mumble some barely comprehensible lines and rip-off a certain infamous scene from ?Blade Runner? involving Rutger Hauer.

On the upside, the face of a younger generation is represented well by Andrei Arlovski. I can?t say I follow the UFC or mixed martial arts, but I?m told he?s a well known name within such circles, and I can certainly see why. You are presented with this hugely imposing villain, dwarfing everyone he shares the screen with. He gives off this relentless, unstoppable kind of aura reminiscent of ?The Terminator?, in that much like that film a part of me wished the protagonists to keep evading rather than confront him. Also like that film and the notorious actor-turned-politician that portrayed its eponymous character, Andrei?s role is mercifully free of dialogue. I suspect this was done for more reasons than simply keeping the antagonist emotionlessly grim.

But all-in-all, this straight forward, straight-to-video throwback to the heyday of the "Action Hero" years of the 80's and 90's seems to achieve everything it set out to. Operating on a sparse budget which it utilises to admirable effect, the main draw of violent gunfights, explosions and choreographed martial arts scenes isn't lost to the niggles of the modern eye's demand to be dazzled by expensive CGI, or hindered by the need for a sophisticated plot and emotive performances. Typical of this subgenre, character development is paper-thin; you won't be empathising much with these characters or their situation anyway. But if like me you picked this up because nostalgia got the better of you, you will undoubtedly know what to expect from the get-go. If not, as far as brainless action films go, you could certainly do a lot worse.
Nader Idkeidek
May 17, 2010
Dolph Lundgren and Jean-Claude Van Damme did maybe their best roles since ages, they should get somekind of acting awards.

Rest of the movie is dull, boring, badly constructed, and full of un-necessary killing.

You can wait for the DVD.
DSL
May 17, 2010
If your a fan of the other Universal Soldiers or Van Damme, you definetley won't be disappointed. Full out action packed with great fight scenes. Very entertaining...
Kami no Shi
May 17, 2010
It was cool to see the John-claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren back together .

The action was great. The story was surprisingly pretty good .

It was way better than other so-called sequels .
LPs
May 17, 2010
Surprisingly badass all around!
miguelsreviews.webs.com
May 15, 2010
I'm a sucker for some Van Damme movies not all of them just ones I think he did pretty well. He's more of a guilty pleasure for me then taking him really serious. Although he did reach critical acclaim with JCVD, I have not seen that movie but I did saw what he does best. Shooting and kicking people's ass.

Universal Soldier Regeneration ignores all the sequels and is a follow up to the original. A group of terrorist captures the Russian prime minister's daughter and son. They take over the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant and there demands are that they will blow up a nuclear reactor with the prime minister's kids and cause nuclear fallout. They have a Unisol which are soldiers that were KIA and brought back to life for combat. Oh my God a Van Damme movie with an actual plot a strong plot I must be freaking dreaming. Van Damme plays again Luc Deveraux where he's trying to fit in to society by the help of Dr. Colin. After the failure of a group of Unisols they decide to bring in Luc.

One of the best things about the movie is the action it's all out B-movie action. The movie is well made and well acted and gruesomely violent. Fans of the original will like how Dolph Lundgren and Van Damme unite for an epic battle. The movie might skip on character development and the plot is rushed for more action scenes but you know what I liked it. The movie has craft and it's a good action film. It's much better then all the sequels and it's better then your regular straight to DVD.

MP ***/* 3.5/5
Dr. Gonzo
April 18, 2010
What do you expect from a Van Damme movie these days. Lets just say he is really starting to show his age. The acting was horrible. They should have added Steven Seagal to the cast to top off the cheese platter. The only good fight scenes were the ones that Van Damme wasn't in. He did perfect his fighting style in this movie. The fighting style know as "Please stand there while I punch you". I did enjoy the fighting scenes with the two MMA fighters Andrei Arlovski and Mike Pyle. Its just too bad those two couldn't act very well. If only MMA fighters could act half as good as they could fight. Although JCVD sucked like always the scene where he kills off Dolph Lundgren was great. So here is my recommendation if you watch this movie fast forward it to 1 hour 21 minutes and 53 seconds into the movie and I guarantee you that is all you will need to see of this movie.
jesusphuck
October 10, 2005
Universal Soldier III was the biggest waste of time. I was unfortunate enough to have seen this in the theaters.