Urban Cowboy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Urban Cowboy Reviews

½ October 15, 2009
A pleasant surprise. I'd read that this was one of the most popular movies from my birth year, so I watched it and immediately said it was one of the best movies I'd ever seen.
flixsterman
½ January 6, 2009
Another box office hit that has not withstood the ravages of time. What was once hip now seems dated and cliche'.
movieguru12
August 9, 2008
Very good John Travolta movie. I LOVED IT!!!
October 17, 2006
It was alright.
April 25, 2006
Winger, like Sean Young, seems to have a negative rep in Hollywood. I hope that isn't true, and if it is, I wish they would get beyond whatever it is that makes them act in whatever way it is that upsets folks around them so much. They both deserve exposure to parts that would alllow them to shine.

All that being said, I have another thing that makes me very curious, flixsters. Is there any movie where Travolta doesn't dance? Maybe Blowout? Have to watch that again. Dancing is kind of like his signature, right? And good acting, to be sure. Travolta is another one of those actors who, for me, can do no wrong--no matter how bad the movie overall. If he moves into directing, and if he's as good at it as Eastwood, then he'd move into my top drawer of all-around talented people. This movie is a must-see for any Travolta fan. Not to mention a country music soundtrack for the ages.
March 9, 2006
I want to give him a hug.
November 23, 2009
The title explains easily, why this film is pretty bad.
May 17, 2009
I loved this movie. Great story, music, and acting. Travolta is so hot!
½ July 5, 2008
Good early performance by Travolta. He trades the disco for a good old fashioned Honkey tonk bar. Fans of Travolta won't be disappointed.
iLeo
December 26, 2007
Personal favorite. A movie from my childhood.
½ August 7, 2007
i love travolta inj pretty much anything he's done past or present but this one stands out, filmed in the now torn down gilley,s which at one time was named the worlds longest bar!
broadwaymo
March 30, 2007
Vinnie Barbarino as a Texas cowboy...huh? I actually enjoyed this much more than both Saturday Night Fever and Grease.
½ April 10, 2015
I am not a fan of the music but the actors make these characters pop and that's all that really maters.
½ April 3, 2012
As miscast as it feels Travolta doesn't do a half bad cowboy. Though not the most exciting or entertaining flick Urban Cowboy has its limited appeal and even though it is a bit overly long it still manages a moment or two where it becomes a built of a guilty pleasure.
March 1, 2013
Travolta is pretty solid in this but the subject matter is a snooze. Mechanical bull riding and country music dancing...ugh I think I hear my Mom calling..See ya.
October 26, 2012
This is the kinda movie that is quite hard to describe with the best method of understanding it is to just go out and watch it. I mean the movie is very good, John Travolta does an amazing job as Bud the Cowboy. It really gives us a wonderful rendition of what people in the night life go through, how they are always looking for the next big fling only to eventually require more and more. It takes us along a rough and tough journey between the rocky relationship of our two characters Bud and Sissy.
A worth noting aspect of this movie is John Travolta does a wonderful job of playing a total asshole throughout and really gets the audience against him, but as the story goes on we see the cause for his actions, and that there really is more to this character than we thought.
In short, definitely see this movie its worth a watch.
December 7, 2011
What an awesome soundtrack! Some of my favorite country songs are on here and I loved their costumes. Wow John Travolta was a hottie back then with his light blue eyes. Another great romance movie set in Texas about a young and wild couple. The characters are great-they're cute, immature, and full of spitfire. The plot goes in all kinds of directions unexpectedly with a great central love story about two people who are more alike than they can accept. Yes, the movie is a long one so be prepared but the chemistry is great between the leads and the story keeps your attention.
½ April 16, 2012
ive watched this over & over again lol! i love it.. john travolta and debra winger are just wonderful together:) love the music and dancing also!
½ March 8, 2011
I hated this movie...not for the movie its self...but because it sent the price of western wear thru the roof....before this movie I could get a pair of handmade boots for $100...after you couldnt get a pair of cheap factory boots for that...it was a movie for its time....I'll still watch it today