• R, 1 hr. 40 min.

Vampire in Brooklyn Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 9, 2013
Wes Craven has made a career out of directing some of the finest horror films in the genre. However in 1995 he teamed up with Eddie Murphy, who by this time was on the road to mediocrity and they made this comedy horror flick. I love vampire films, and there are some of the best films in horror. They're classic horror monsters and they are sexy, cold blooded killers. This film unfortunately fails to be any good and it fails to be a good addition to the vampire genre. The script is lazy and the performances are shallow with nothing that really stands out. The film's comedic elements are poorly thought out, and the jokes fall flat and the film ends up being a tiring affair. The film is a mediocre affair that simply ends up being a waste of time. The film could have been great and it's a shame due to the fact there were some good ideas here, but they simply don't get off the ground. This is one of the weaker Craven films, and it simply doesn't entertain the way it's supposed to. The ideas are there, but the execution is poor, and the film misses the mark. Fright Night was a great vampire horror comedy, and it hit all the right note. However this one simply didn't deliver and it shows the early signs of Eddie Murphy's dwindleling talent and success. Don't expect a great film with Vampire in Brooklyn as you will be disappointed and you'll want something more out of a film that provides you with so little. Stick with The Lost Boys and Fright Night and skip this mediocre movie that should have been reworked a few times in the screenwriting phase.
Phil H

August 22, 2007
Another film I haven't seen since release at the cinema, I enjoyed it upon first viewing back then but nowadays I'm not so sure. This film was pretty much Murphy's last flick before he began his lame kiddie flick career and gave up on adult action/humour which he has never seemed to recover from.

Director by Horror legend Wes Craven you would think this might have a chance at being good but unfortunately because Murphy tries to go down the 'Coming to America' route it fails. There's no way Murphy can recapture the golden days of 'Coming to America' and he tries way too hard in this, its not a terrible vampire film but its not exactly funny either which it tries to be too much.

Some nice makeup on Murphy, Hardison and Bassett can't really save the film with its obvious sets, poor casting and indecision as to wether it wants to be more amusing or more serious. I think its safe to say both Wes and Eddie tried for an 'American in Werewolf' approach but missed the mark by quite some distance but it still has one or two nice moments.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 26, 2007
Has some funny moments.
Jason O

September 14, 2009
Maybe I'm the only one, but I was impressed with this vampire flick and with Eddie Murphy as a vampire.
Lady D

September 20, 2006
Ridiculous yet kind of funny and typically Eddie Murphy. This vampire comedy makes easy watching with some comical moments and several characters for Murphy to portray (keep up with Murphy tradition).
deano
deano

February 6, 2007
This anemic vampire comedy is yet another misfire by star Eddie Murphy, apparently more concerned with playing multiple roles than with delivering a coherent film.
Kylie B

March 27, 2007
Eddie Murphy does well as Max, very atmostpheric, could pull off being a 'real' horror film and not just a comedy.
Jason S

February 16, 2007
It was a little funny but it seemed a little forced.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

June 9, 2010
I've seen a lot of Eddie Murphy movies, and have not yet been disappointed by any of them. In this one he does a fair job as a Caribbean vampire in Brooklyn who searches, and finds, the half vampire female cop named Rita (Angela Bassett) to breed with. She doesn't know that until she meets him one night and becomes terrified of that fact alone. Eddie Murphy and Angela Bassett deliver good performances. It is an unlikely blend of horror and romantic comedy yet; somehow, it still manages to entertain.
Sylvester K

July 12, 2012
I remembered this being a quite different film, black vampires!! Who'd have thought that? Wes Craven did a great job, not his best film, but I enjoyed this little delight.
mingsysar
mingsysar

August 15, 2006
Not for the first time I'm left thinking, what does Eddie Murphy think he's doing?
KeepGuessing
KeepGuessing

May 4, 2008
I'm not really sure what to say about this movie. A part of me knows that this movie really sucks. But, on the other hand, I still kinda like it since Eddie Murphy's in it. Oh well...
rodjeckrich
June 4, 2013
This was pretty bad and I don't think that I finished it, which pretty much means that I might see it again and if I saw it on sale for anywhere from 50 cents to three dollars I would buy it. Eddie Murphy in a Wes Craven movie? Well with a title like Vampire in Brooklyn one would have thought that this would have potential, especially with Murphy doing his multiple characters. But the idea that this isn't very good doesnt surprise me considering it is from Craven, who I respect for Nightmare on Elm Street, but that is really about it. Out of the big American horror directors of yesteryear Craven was always my least favorite mainly because, similar to this case, I would be down for a variety of his movies and walk away not being satisfied. Still Eddie Murphy in a pseudo-horror/comedy hybrid didn't work here. And Dwayne Wayne as his undead sidekick...really? At least this was better than Idle Hands.
June 25, 2009
i had no idea wes craven directed vampire in brooklyn...my respect for wes craven just dropped significantly.
shag2469
June 14, 2009
It still stunk! Wes Craven should be ashamed of himself. interesting concept or not eddie does better doing raunchy stand-up or voices of comic characters!
prentisminix
June 23, 2008
i've always been a big murphy fan, i liked this movie...more of a comedic vampire movie, but still had some seriousness
JaredsBaby
April 20, 2008
Thought it was funny and very unrealistic. Eddie Murphy made a corny vampire, but it is good for a laugh
EnigmaticSorrow
March 27, 2008
if i could i would give this crap -100 stars. eddie murphy as well as all blacks do not play a good vampire.
February 20, 2008
Really lame. I think I might have been expecting a comedy since I loved Eddie Murphy in Coming to America so much. Imagine my disappointment when I sat through this crappy movie. It's not even really a horror movie. It's lame. Very very lame.
gumnerf
December 28, 2007
Very disappointing because I am such an Eddie Murphy fan, but it just never grabbed me. It was never funny enough or gruesome enough or anything enough to have any character.