Movies Like Van Helsing: The London Assignment

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Van Helsing: The London Assignment Reviews

Phil H

May 22, 2014
In the same year that Stephen Sommers hyper animated movie burst into the cinema we also got this not quite so hyper actual animated prequel. The short story tells us what happened before Van Helsing arrived in Transylvania, his previous mission trying to capture Dr Jekyll in London...obviously.

The plot for this is a bit far out if you ask me but I guess nothing is a surprise coming from Sommers. Van Helsing is investigating a very Jack the Ripper-esque affair where by people are being mysteriously murdered horribly and seemingly drained of their life force. Its nothing very original to be frank, at first I thought they really should of just used the Ripper as the villain its such an obvious copy. The thing is, Dr Jekyll is using this life force to make and keep his love...Queen Victoria, young and beautiful so they can be together.

Yep Queen Victoria...as if right, but that's not all the story makes out that beneath Buckingham Palace there are some huge hellish fiery caves or catacombs where Dr Jekyll will live with his young Queen Vic, it looks like some kind of underground city you'd see in the old 80's cartoon Dungeons & Dragons. I know its just a prequel idea for an animation that will never see the light of day but it is suppose to be cannon and may have been made had the movie gone down better (dunno why it wasn't actually). But the plot is so dumb and feels like its been whipped up so fast just to get it out asap after the movie release.

You only have to look at the DVD cover to see how poor it is, the artwork is lame and cheap looking, mind you the animation isn't much better. It really does look like an old children's cartoon that you'd watch on a Saturday morning, there is no flair, nothing quirky or unique about it, its just plain and average looking with really drab colours and layouts. On top of that the characters don't even resemble their movie character counterparts! Van Helsing is completely different looking facially and with straight hair, where as Wenham's character is now a young looking boy or someone in his early twenties. The only character accurately depicted is Mr Hyde who is spot on. Nothing wrong with that but only if they look good, these two heroes just look generic and boring.

Basically the only reason they made this is because of the one line of dialog from the movie where Van Helsing says to Mr Hyde that he missed him in London (referring to gun shots). Mr Hyde then replies that he didn't miss, he actually hit him. So for some reason Sommers and co thought we needed to see some fast tracked back story about how Mr Hyde ended up getting shot by Van Helsing and the rest of that mission. Yeah OK not a bad idea if the mission was of any interest and not totally crap, oh and maybe if the animation was any good also. Just having the actual cast voice the characters in this doesn't mean it will be instantly worth it, the rest must be good too.
Conner R

January 15, 2011
For a straight to dvd animated tie in to Van Helsing, this is pretty amazing. It actually has some good animation in there and showcases the voice talent of Hugh Jackman. I love the Jekyll and Hyde storyline that they had in the opening of Van Helsing and this just goes deeper into that arc. It's like a James Bond/Sherlock Holmes mystery and definitely delivers.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
not as good as I hoped.
Rodrigo R

November 25, 2011
It's a prequel so to speak animated movie Van Helsing, I expected a little lighter, a little bloody, is entertaining but not remarkable.
chadroesti
chadroesti

February 22, 2007
Corney - could have been much better
minhvanl
October 28, 2009
very good to watch, Exciting and
a little scary but not make you boring.attract your attention to the end.
fmcc49
May 23, 2009
Tis film deserved a lot more attention than it got. Great FX and an intelligent plot even if it is about vampires
June 21, 2008
Not bad...I generally avoid cartoon prequels to films, but I'd just seen the theatrical film, and I wanted to see the special features about that that are one this disc. It really wasn't bad, and the banter with Mr. Hyde makes a bit more sense having seen this.
JohnnySkull619
January 25, 2008
This movie was alright. It helped add as a prequel to the live action movie that came out before hand.
devilnamedBuena
June 8, 2007
And you thought the movie was bad! And then you though Saturday morning cartoons looked bad! And then you thought, "Why the hell am I watching this?!!!"
mscheviousangel2002
June 1, 2007
Read the book before seeing the movie... the book gave a little more insight but it was a good movie!!! I bought the DVD after having seen the movie a must have for my collection. :)
pinkp7
May 29, 2007
this movie was so awesooooooooooooooooooooooooooooome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!go see it!!!!!!!!!
macelance
May 9, 2007
I loved this movie, Some of the monsters could of been better but the graphics rocked and the action was never ending.
pshowers
March 13, 2007
Funny and full of chacarters, but a very entertaining movie. You will be drawn it to the plot of this movie. Its a good one.
sporkthenugget
February 5, 2007
loved this version of the van helsing movie. maybe cause its in anime form but either way its great.
January 11, 2007
I liked this since it was the "prequal" to the movie and it was fun to watch even though it was really short.
FernandoTIm
January 9, 2007
Mais interessante em animação que em live-action, o contexto no qual o super-herói foi inserido funciona muito bem aqui. Apesar de a história ser ruim, é aceitável para uma animação sendo imensamente superior ao filme.
jwideman08
October 19, 2006
Its ight but nothin to outstandingly great about just some pretty cool grapghics and fights stuff like that
Schlaht
September 25, 2006
i went through the 'haunted house' at universal studios of this, it was hella cool lol

i knew when somethign would happy, the big guy at the end, that comes and grabs you, yeah i bit his hand

prick..
June 25, 2013
Not the prequel that it should of been, but it's still quite action packed for it's run-time. The animation is decent, minor blood, good use of characters. While it uses the voice actors from the main Movie, there's still an awkward feel when someone speaks. As a prequel, it works yet it's more or less just the same as the beginning of the main Movie. I would have been more interesting on Helsing's origin and past assignments. It still manages to keep up an interesting story though, and is entertaining enough on it's own.