• PG, 1 hr. 35 min.

Vegas Vacation Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

September 2, 2006
The Griswolds are back, and this is easily their worst vacation yet. I don't think it's as awful as some do, but yeah, it is really dumb, tired, dull, and overly reliant on formula. And also devoid of contributing anything new.

I still give it some credit though, because it does have its moments, even though I really don't want it to continue after this.

Featuring new kids but the same parents (a series tradition), Clark decides to take the family to Vegas where, besides having lots of fun, he also plans to renew his wedding vows to Ellen.

As you'd expect, all sorts of trouble and shenanigans ensue, all of them with predictable results, but at least this time each Griswold had their own subplot, which doesn't often happen.

The movie does have a decent amount of laughs, but it's definitely more misses than hits. At least Quaid is back, and we do get some great cameos and special appearances, most notably Wayne Newton and Wallace Shawn to save things, so that's good I guess.

Overall though, this is just run-of-the-mill blah, and nothing really all that special.
Phil H

October 11, 2007
Hmmm losing the appeal here, nice idea and nice touches here and there, Chase still makes me laugh as does Randy Quaid as 'Eddie' but the comedy is becoming a bit forced now.
Just about acceptable on the whole, best scene...'Clarke' tells a porky to wife 'Ellen' about not being hooked on gambling, then proceeds to leave the room go downstairs to the gambling den, using a cam shot following his progress, places a bet, loses, lets out the most hilarious grimace of frustration and then proceeds to run back upstairs to 'Ellen' LOL!

That is pretty much the best sequence and funny moment in the entire film with some good old fashioned facial humour from Chase, the rest is rather mundane to be honest but you could still do worse.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 23, 2011
Follow-up to Christmas Vacation isn't as funny as I'd hope it would have been. The film is a decent enough comedy with quite a few laughs; unfortunately, it is not as memorable as Christmas Vacation, which in my opinion is a comedy classic. But despite its imperfections this is a decent comedy film. However it's clear that the producers were running out of ideas. I think it's a great shame because this film could have been memorable. I found the film to be quite funny at times, but it lacked something to really make it special. Like I said, this isn't Christmas Vacation. Most of the jokes are tired, unimpressive and original. It's a great waste of Chevy Chase. As this is the fourth entry in the Vacation series, it's clear that the producers have run out of ideas and are trying to deliver a good film, unfortunately, it's to mixed results. The film is at times funny, and does bring on a few chuckles, but it's pretty minor to previous Vacation films. I think the series should have stopped at Christmas Vacation. What's really a shame here is that the concept of the Griswold family spending a vacation in Vegas is a good idea for a film; unfortunately the result is only a decent comedy with a few laughs here and there. Vegas Vacation will likely disappoint fans of the previous films in the series as it's clear that the screenwriters have run out of ideas. This film could have been memorable, but ends up being only decent.
Alexander D

August 7, 2011
I would like to dedicate this slap in the face to everyone who works for deciding the Golden Raspberry Awards. Come on, now. They have the nerve to nominate Stanley Kubrick for Worst Director for his fabulous work on THE SHINING, but they can't give VEGAS VACATION one single nomination? I'm left to assume, then, that every Golden Raspberry-er was too smart to go out and see this.

VEGAS VACATION has a plot that is hinted at by the title, in near fullness. Of course, it's inevitable that there are going to be two new actors for Audrey and Rusty, but who knew that neither of them would look like any of the previous actors? And the girl looks like she's from a foreign, Asian country!

Aside from the unbelief of VEGAS VACATION, it's not funny, either. It tries, but it fails, because the farthest it can go with humor is a joke made by Rusty about wanting to meet prostitutes in Las Vegas (that's not how he acted in the first three films); a wordplay scene using "dam" as a double entendre for "damn"; and a scene in which Clark disastrously turns much of his body blue (and it stays that way for quite a while).

Seriously. If you need to keep all the raunch in from the other three films to make this funny, do it! Lowering it down to a PG rating will do nothing but make it unfunny--and National Lampoon doesn't produce family films to begin with, do they? I guess that's why this is the only "Vacation" film thus far (and hopefully for good) not to be sponsored by the organization.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
The trilogy of Vacation movies from the 80s were sufficient to bring us the tales of the Griswold family's vacations, I don't know why they felt they needed to make a fourth. This one has none of the charm of the previous movies, although it has the same actors. There are some laughs here and there, but overall it's just okay.
TheGame90
TheGame90

January 4, 2011
Definitely the best Peardad movie...But still...It only get you so far...
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Apart from a nice little Sid Caesar cameo, this was awful!
Jason O

September 10, 2009
I haven't ever saw the previous movies in this series, but I know one thing, "Vegas Vacation" isn't a bad movie at all. Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo star in this funny movie in which them and their two kids, known as the Griswold family, go to Las Vegas for a family vacation when Chevy Chase finds out that he has a gambling addiction problem. And even worse, Chevy Chase has got to be the best in the world at losing, especially at Blackjack. The Griswold family also take a trip to the Hoover Dam which is pretty amusing.
"Vegas Vacation" is a good movie, but it's not one of Chevy Chase's funniest movies, at least not in my opinion it wasn't. However, parts of it are hilarious and it's a fun movie to watch, so I do recommend it to anybody who likes comedy movies. You might learn some tips on what not to do if you ever go gambling from Chevy Chase himself. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
Nicki M

January 20, 2008
A movie I have avoided for years because it looked so damn bad. Actually, much to my surprise it was quite watchable and even funny. I would even watch some of the others in the series now.
Cassandra M

August 8, 2009
This is a very funny movie. Not as funny Christmas Vacation it sort of predecessor. The laughs excellently played, especially (Possibly spoiling) the Hoover Dam part (Please feel free to take any Dam pictures or ask any Dam questions). A definite must see.
Coxxie M

June 5, 2009
good to watch when u have watched every other movie in the house
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 2, 2008
No need.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

December 2, 2007
these movies are all pretty funny.
Lafe F

July 22, 2007
Slightly weak and funny fourth movie in the Vacation series. (Better than Christmas Vacation!) I liked the Sigfried and Roy White Tiger act with Chevy Chase. Daddy Griswold (Chevy Chase) is hooked on gambling. Mommy Griswold (Beverly D'Angelo) is off visiting Wayne Newton. Rusty (Ethan Embry) is enjoying VIP status at the hotel. Audrey Griswold (Marisol Nichols) is hanging out with a new crowd of girls. It makes great fun of all the Vegas landmarks, including a silly Hoover Dam scene. The movie feels a bit dated now, but hard to avoid with the rate of Vegas' expansion. It was an okay movie, okay?
Michael G

November 14, 2006
They should've ended with Christmas Vacation.
Dann M

February 16, 2013
The Griswolds go on one last family trip in the hilarious comedy Vegas Vacation. After receiving a bonus from his company Clark Griswold takes his family to Las Vegas for fun and adventure, but things quickly spiral out of control when Clark becomes addicted to gambling. Despite some cartoonish slapstick humor, most of the comedy works and provides a clever satire of Vegas tourism. Additionally, the casting is rather good and features performances from Wallace Shawn and Wayne Newton. It's a long way down the Holiday Road...and Vegas Vacation provides a fun filled conclusion to the hysterical journeys of the Griswolds.
Yinalí R

February 2, 2008
Very very funny!
Joseph E

April 20, 2007
Not too bad!
Erin C

December 11, 2009
Pretty funny. The dam scene cracked me up. Not as good as Christmas Vacation, but still pretty good.
alanjayh
alanjayh

July 1, 2008
Chevy and family antics once more thi time in vegas locale..funny in spots