Venus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Venus Reviews

August 9, 2014
A beautiful and striking meditation on aging, living and facing mortality with a superb performance by the incomparable Peter O'Toole. Exceptional performances by veteran Phillips and newcomer Whittaker. Excellent performances all around with a uniquely inspiring script. An excellent movie in every way. A film that should not be missed.
September 5, 2008
A touching, heartfelt drama as two old semi retired actors lives are turned upside down upon the arrival of the niece of one of them. Peter O'Toole becomes infatuated with her and has a strange friendship with her. A film with a certain charm, if a bit odd at times, but the acting talent on show steals the day.
½ October 1, 2009
A fantastic film! Peter O'Toole and Leslie Phillips's chemistry is superb! O'Toole should have won the Oscar! Vanessa Redgrave's performance is also very touching. Highly recommended!
middleeasternfilms
½ March 20, 2009
Not at all what I expected, but that's a good thing since this movie had me laughing almost nonstop. Peter O'Toole had his heart broken again by just missing out on finally winning Best Actor for his role as a dirty old man who falls in love with his best friend's daughter's niece, whom he affectionately calls Venus. Maurice is a veteran actor who is somewhat rapidly dying, though you wouldn't know it from how young Jessie makes his feel. A very good movie with a lot of funny, albeit dirty dialogue.
July 19, 2008
Venus is the story of how two aging actors (Peter O'Toole and Leslie Philips) lives are turned upside down by a teenager relative of Philip's character Ian. O'Toole plays Maurice, a seventy-something how becomes infatuated with her, but not really to the point of lust. Maurice sees her as a work of art, in some cases perfection and in others a piece that needs to be molded some more.
O'Toole's performance is fantastic and dare I say he should have gotten the Oscar for this one. The film isn't on par of Lawrence of Arabia, but his performance certainly is- a haunting look at an actor that's become a legend on stage but has failed in the other aspects of his life. He is a stranger to himself and "Venus" is a means to introduction.
In the middle of this veteran cast you have Jodie Whittaker playing Jessie a.k.a. Venus. Whittaker takes the role and runs with it (she was 25 at the time of the film) and her past career has her following in the shadowy footsteps of O'Toole and the other veteran cast members.
Even though the script for Venus can be a little ho-hum at times, the acting is what really makes this into a superior film that I would recommend seeing. Is it Peter O'Toole's swan song? I certainly hope not.
January 26, 2008
I enjoyed this movie. Made me think. Is Maurice (Peter O'Toole) a dirty old man or not? A story of the agony of growing old, of friendships - both with his cohort Ian and with Jessie - a young relative of Ian's).
gor41
November 21, 2007
Measured study of an unusual relationship which veers close to creepy but is saved by a witty script, great performances and funny swearing.
June 4, 2007
I love that they call Maurice "MORE-iss," instead of "more-EASS". English goodness! Generally, the film was beautifully tragic but emotionally detaching.
½ June 6, 2007
Wow, what a great film. It stars the legendary Peter O'Toole in the very appropriate role of an aging actor who develops a kinship with a young woman under the care of his friend. It's the best film about old age I've seen since The Straight Story, and the best film about a relationship between an older man and younger man since Lost In Translation. Not to compare it to those, because it's very different, but equally great. I unfortunately admit to not being too familiar with O'Toole's work, from his prime and otherwise - but his performance in here was stellar, honestly one of the best performances I've ever seen; he is utterly honest and funny and at the same time, tragic. Of course that the character is so close to himself in nature had to help, but it's still a monster of a performance. This is definitely an actor's film - the rest of the cast excels, as well, Leslie Phillips is amazing, and the relationship between he and O'Toole's character was so well done and beautiful, the scene when they dance in the church was absolutely magical. Jodie Whittaker plays the object of O'Toole's affection, he calls her "Venus" and it's a great performance for someone so young, I look forward to seeing what she does in the future. All in all, Venus is a great story with some absolutely fabulous acting, and I really dug the writing and directing, too. This should be a widely appealing film, and everyone should see if just to see the legendary O'Toole still entirely on top of his game.
½ June 6, 2007
O'Toole is one of those actors, the bulk of whose life has been witnessed on screen. From his early green years, we are able to observe his publicly documented maturation into advanced age, and this body of film roles is both an amazing historical compilation and a wistful look at life's swift passage. This role, for even the consummate actor, must give the actor pause, playing the aged man who does die on screen when he himself is near the very end of his own life. It is, first and foremost, very brave of any actor to do this, I think, and it is also a testament, I believe, to O'Toole's perhaps living the majority of life through his acting. Although it must be depressing at times to play a part like this, the show -- the business of movie-making -- must go on, and, dammit, someone who can do it must play the role. A bittersweet film by any standard. My goodness, to see O'Toole and Redgrave on screen in their golden years -- their interactions are few, but are breathtakingly accomplished. True artistry and paired chemistry at work. My greatest problem with Venus, although this truly is one of O'Toole's best performances ever and deserves extended play, is that the film meanders on a little too long. Additionally, there are scenes -- several -- that could have and should have been cut. The plane of existence upon which these two "friends" exist is a higher one than requires some of the unnecessary, almost obligatory "sexual" content. Other than that, this really is a must-see.
Harlequin68
January 6, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Venus" starts out with two elderly men, Maurice(Peter O'Toole) and Ian(Leslie Phillips), comparing their medications in a coffee shop. Ian is overjoyed that he is going to be getting his very own nurse, in the person of his niece's daughter, Jessie(Jodie Whittaker), but is less than pleased with the level of service. However, Maurice sees promise in the young woman, taking her to the theatre.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Written by Hanif Kureishi, "Venus" is a slight but witty comedy with good performances, epsecially Vanessa Redgrave in an underplayed part. What the movie is mostly concerned with is growing older, especially as it concerns the elderly. For example, Maurice, a distinguished actor, can only get roles as corpses these days.(So, presumably nobody is interested in making movies about senior citizens.) And no matter how badly his body may be suffering(prostate is his current complaint), his mind is more than willing, Jessie being the reason he gets out of bed in the morning. I am looking forward to being a dirty old man myself but the movie errs by making the audience complicit in Maurice's leering. Even worse, Jessie's whole purpose as a human being seems to be as a sex object. It never occurs to anybody in the film that she might actually have a mind of her own. [/font]
neumdaddy
February 6, 2007
No actual vines of twilight fear in this entry, let alone ones that know how to strangle. Actually, feel free to ask me about the rated movies. I think I am posting a few review snippets in my next entry, too (!). Truly this entry is now worth at least 30 comments. Can I get an Amen? A Hell Yeah? A You Da Man? A Minute Of Your Time? A Passing Glance?

A Dollar?
December 24, 2012
Ick! While the Venus of the film is great O'Toole is about ten years too old for this May December romance. The sparks are forced.
½ May 21, 2007
This daring, melancholy little character piece is touching and mildly unsettling. The story takes us places we may not want to go, but it's every bit worth it. Peter O'Toole is utterly terrific, bringing about one of the most moving performances of the year. Definitely worth a look.
½ October 20, 2010
An odd but sweet and touching story.
September 25, 2008
Exquisite,painful and life affirming-Venus is an amazing movie starring Peter O'Toole as an aging actor who finds that most of his roles these days are playing those about to die or corpses...

Although approaching death, he finds renewal and inspiration in the form of a young neice of a friend, whose youthful sensuality and beauty stirs the embers of a once passionate,erotic man.
May 12, 2008
Not an easy film to watch. There is something disturbing about the relationship between the two central characters and obviously the writer and director are pushing for this. However because it never goes too far there is a constant tension of a 'will they, won't they' variety with this story. Saying that the acting is excellent and I was certainly left fighting back the tears at the end.
½ April 7, 2008
Good film, great performances. Peter O'Toole is remarkable.
shannylee38
½ August 24, 2007
Good story and performances as well!