• R, 1 hr. 31 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Very Good Girls Reviews

KJ P

July 5, 2014
This is as mediocre as coming-of-age stories can possibly get. Elizabeth Olson and Dakota Fanning play their characters fairly well and I did buy them as best friends, but it seems to be written by somebody who knows some things about teenage girls, but also seems to be guessing about the rest. I will say that The cast gave it their all, but the film is so predictably written, with an obviously cliched conclusion, "Very Good Girls" is a big flop. I was really looking forward to seeing this film, because it is nice to see an indie film come of actors who have been in the public spotlight for so long. Based solely around sex and jokes, there is not much of an impact when the climax f the film hits, and I felt empty-handed when the credits rolled. Overall, if you like the cast you may find some enjoyment, but it is a pretty lackluster story. Nice try for this first time director though.
August 12, 2014
watchable. cute. wouldn't watch it twice.
August 9, 2014
A cliche over-sanitized film, a regurgitation of many other teen romance dramas done much weaker this time around, not on the acting front, just everything else. To call this movie unrealistic is an understatement. The two leads, both great in the film, are however much too old for their characters. The characters are underdeveloped, shallow and boring, and their journey into finding themselves is uneventful. Olsen as always hits her role out of the park, albeit a flat character.
Girl Who Tried Everything
August 5, 2014
I didn't think this was going to be much; having such low expectations helped because I actually ended up like this movie quite a bit. If you are looking of an award winning movie that you will carry with you the rest of you life this isn't it. This fit a very specific mold - its a coming of age movie about two 17 year old girls on the the verge of starting college. They are looking for love (sex) right before they move on to their next stage in life, but this was so much more than that.

The girls in this movie explore what family means. I found the contrast of how each perceived their own vs how they saw each others very interesting. I had those similar feelings as a girl so I could connect on many levels. The photography angle was plus seeing as that it what I do and how I spent my youth. The boy was hot (always a plus), and I thought the girl put on a solid performance. The music was wonderful.

Both girls had to learn to handle both their mistakes and other peoples mistakes. Some people might not like the twist of this movie, but I liked it. I know that not every girls has broken girl code when it comes to boys, but I don't know any that haven't had thoughts in that regard. When your young hormones can help assist in bad decision making almost as much as alcohol. I know I have made this mistake with my best friend, thankful we were able to over come it but this movie reminded me of that crazy time of my youth.

What I like most is that everything seemed so real, it was a throw back to my youth. It wasn't over dramatized. Unrealistic things didn't happen. Everything just was. Which made it kind of beautiful. The movie hasn't gotten the best review, but I don't care. It isn't for everyone; it's really only for girls that are looking to spend a couple hours remembering what it felt like to come of age.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
July 28, 2014
Very Good Girls --- starring Dakota Fanning and Elizabeth Olsen ---

Two friends Elizabeth and Dakota make a pact to lose their virginity on their last summer-vacation at New York City.

Look at the theme of the film and then look at the title of the film. Shame has never been this explainable before.
July 23, 2014
Take two great actresses in Lizzie and Dakota, indie production, and a light "coming of age" story and you get Very Good Girls. It deserves better than 9 percent on RT and probably is so low because it only has 23 total reviews, but they are deserving of a better film. Jenny Lewis provides the music which is worth a star all by itself. Lizzie does her justice covering the main theme in the movie.
Estebueno
July 22, 2014
"We got to get over this hump."

Very Good Girls was on my radar ever since I heard it was debuting in last year's Sundance Film Festival. The reason I was attracted towards this despite not knowing anything about the plot was the cast. It starred Elizabeth Olsen who I've been a fan of ever since Martha Marcy May Marlene and Dakota Fanning who I think hasn't matched that same potential she had as a child actress. The supporting cast included Demi Moore, Peter Sarsgaard, Clark Gregg, and Richard Dreyfuss so I was really looking forward to what they could do. This was also the feature film debut from director Naomi Foner who had written a couple of screenplays in the past, but is best known for being the mother of the talented actors, Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

You would never guess this screenplay was written by a woman considering these young teenage girls have no personality and their entire lives seem to revolve around this guy they met at a beach. He is the only thing they talk about and both girls end up falling for him, which is pretty much the basic theme of this film as their friendship is tested by their personal feelings towards him. Dakota Fanning and Elizabeth Olsen play these young girls who want to lose their virginity before going to college. The guy they both fall for is played by Boyd Holbrook and I really wasn't a huge fan of his performance. I couldn't see why these girls would fall for him as he lacked personality and wasn't really charming either. Both Fanning and Olsen come from very different families. Olsen's parents are played by Richard Dreyfuss and Demi Moore who are very talkative and liberal, while Fanning's parents are played by Clark Gregg and Ellen Barkin and they are much more reserved. The parents don't get much screen time so they weren't really developed very well and all the information we gather from them is through the conversations the two girls have about how they view them (which is almost entirely negative). So that was a big let down for me because I was interested in what these actors could bring to the drama. There is nothing really that engages the audience since none of the characters have any personality whatsoever and not even the love triangle seems too appealing due to the lack of romantic chemistry. The film is only 90 minutes long but it seemed to drag forever and the score didn't help out either. I was hugely disappointed by Very Good Girls and I understand now why it took so long to reach a wider audience after the Festival.

Unfortunately the talented cast is wasted in this film and not even my appreciation for Elizabeth Olsen engaged me. I didn't even like her character very much here and much less the rest of the cast. Olsen has to find better roles because her latest films haven't exploded her potential very well. I was amazed to see how little Demi Moore and Richard Dreyfuss were used in this film; there could have been a better movie somewhere if they were given more importance. The lack of personality from any character just makes this film even more boring and tedious. There have been so many good coming of age films over the past year that this film simply fails to reach the bar that was set so high by Kings of Summer, The Way Way Back, and The Spectacular Now. This could have been an opportunity for two strong female leads but they simply didn't have much to work with.
July 19, 2014
Very Good Girls has somehow managed to get a truly noteworthy and remarkable cast in spite of being a most mediocre, humdrum and unremarkable film itself. The movie is about two best friends who are preparing for their first year of college and in doing so decide they should probably lose their virginity before heading off to school. They are "very good girls" after all. Their friendship is tested over the summer by various things -- work, family, uncertainty, tragedy -- but most of all by their mutual attraction to a handsome street artist they meet and befriend. Dakota Fanning (I Am Sam) and Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene) play besties Lily and Gerry with Boyd Holbrook (Milk) playing their object of affection who ends up favoring one of the girls to the other. Richard Dreyfus (Jaws), Ellen Barkin (Sea of Love), Clark Gregg (The Avengers) and Demi Moore (Ghost) play parents while Peter Sarsgaard (An Education) co-stars as Lily's boss and Kiernan Shipka ('Mad Men') as her younger sister. The first-time director, Naomi Foner, just happens to be the mother of the Gyllenhaal siblings which most likely helps explain why this talented cast signed onto such a pedestrian, over-done script. The story is nothing special -- and has been told many times -- but the acting in VGG is solid. Everyone involved is singularly better than the film as a whole.
July 7, 2014
Very Good Girls [US, 2014] Very bad film. 1/10
July 6, 2014
Only saw this because of dat Elizabeth Olsen.Plot wise you see everything coming before it happens. It's your average coming of age chick flick but with better actors/actresses.
KJ P

July 5, 2014
July 4, 2014
Dakota Fanning and Elizabeth Olsen are both fantastic in this movie. Their characters are complex with their decisions portraying difficult and varying decisions. The audience relates to their decisions, their relationship together and the complex dynamic gives this movie an edge. The ending is heartwarming and it is refreshing to end on the girls relationship instead of Lilly's and the boy. It never goes to extreme like the audience might expect it to with no sexual abuse or pregnancy instead it goes deep into the characters emotions and while slow in parts it is overall a fantastic film with great performances by dakota and elizabeth.
June 26, 2014
Een kant-en-klare coming of age film die zijn getalenteerd cast amper wat te doen geeft waardoor je moeilijk met ze mee kan leven in de situaties waar ze in terecht komen. Nog erger zijn de onbedoeld enge scènes waarin onder meer seksuele mishandeling en een streaker in voorkomen. Ik raad je sterk aan deze film te vermijden !