The Vikings (1958)
Average Rating: 6/10
Reviews Counted: 14
Fresh: 10 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 3
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.5/5
User Ratings: 5,449
Inspired by the novel The Viking by Edison Marshall, The Vikings was lensed on location in Norway under extremely adverse weather conditions. Adding to the difficulty was the fact that star Kirk Douglas and director Richard Fleischer never quite found a common ground, and for years thereafter would hold each other responsible for the film's falling short of its potential. Still, the finished product is quite a feast for the eyes and ears. Douglas, the son of Viking leader Ernest Borgnine,
Jun 28, 1958 Wide
May 7, 2002
MGM Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
It is the best advertisement for beer-drinking since the breweries put wrestling on TV.
Plenty of pillaging, axe-throwing, hearty quaffing of ale, storming of castles, heroic jumping into wolf pits, and manly talk about the glories of entering Valhalla with sword in hand.
Pretty good actioner with star power.
Highly entertaining and slightly camp historical adventure full of great stunts, larger-than-life characters and splendidly OTT dialogue.
Audience Reviews for The Vikings
- Kitala: Love and hate are two horns on the same goat.
- Princess Morgana: I will not lift one finger to resist you.
- Lord Egbert: Lies will not sustain a tyrant.
- King Aella: Hold out the hand that has defied me.
- Einar: Oh, stop shouting. You sound like a moose giving birth to a hedgehog.
- King Ragnar: [about Einar] What man ever had a finer son? Odin could have sired him, but I did!
Discuss The Vikings on our Movie forum!
Latest News on The Vikings
March 1, 2013:Five Favorite Films with Ray Winstone
Chances are that when audiences think "tough Cockney geezer" they picture Ray Winstone, the veteran...