Villa Rides Reviews

½ May 26, 2014
Entertaining, suitably violent, but at the same time 'slight' 20th century western.
½ April 24, 2014
Villa Rides is a decent film. It is about Mexican rebel Pancho Villa who leads a revolution helped by an American aviator imprisonned in Mexico. Robert Mitchum and Yul Brynner give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Buzz Kulik did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the action.
½ August 25, 2011
Thursday, August 25, 2011

(1968) Villa Rides

Despite it's problems behind the scenes, I still kinda liked this one, at least my dad did whose always been a Charles Bronson fan. Another fictional revisiting on Panch Villa with Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson and Robert Mitchum- I thought the humor was similar to other Bronsons Westerns and that it was good escape entertainment!

3 out of 4
½ March 18, 2011
It must be a terrible thing to kill men without hating them

Pancho Villa is in the middle of a revolution when he encounters an imprisoned American airplane pilot. He decides that he can utilize the pilot to help his cause. Initially, the pilot is reluctant to assist Villa; however, Villa convinces him his cause is worth the effort.

"I want to blow his brains out."
"I don't think he'll let you do that."

Buzz Kulik, director of The Hunter, Kill Me if you Can, Riot, Cage without a Key, Crawlspace, and Incident on a Dark Street, delivers Villa Rides. The storyline for this picture is fascinating and a unique take on the Pancho Villa storyline (or at least one I have never seen). The action scenes were excellent and the bullet wounds were intense. The acting was awesome for the genre and the cast includes Yul Brynner, Robert Mitchum, and Charles Bronson.

"Ever since the war the horse has been getting more than I have."
"The horse has more to offer."

I have been DVR'ing Charles Bronson movies lately and this film jumped off the page at me when I saw it starred Yul Brynner (Magnificent Seven). Bronson and Brynner played off each other perfectly. I thoroughly enjoyed the interactions between characters and found myself chuckling throughout the film. This picture was definitely longer than it needed to be, but it was still a worthwhile western.

"Go outside and die! Where are your manners?"

Grade: B (7.5)