Virginia City Reviews

jjnxn
½ January 30, 2010
Average western with Flynn strong in the lead, Bogie terribly miscast in one of his last supporting roles, High Sierra and the Maltese Falcon were only a year away. Would have been better if it was a half hour shorter.
May 26, 2010
This is a confused western. Bogart is in an odd role in a supporting effort. His portrayal of the bandito was hard to get on board with. Flynn was solid but the movie really got bogged down in parts and went on way too long.
June 5, 2009
Fun in parts (I was surprised to the see a stunt here lifted for Indiana Jones - which actually seemed a little ahead of its time in this context). Ultimately too long (2 hours), and Hopkins, much as i like her quirks and love her in comedies, is a little tough to follow, motivation-wise. Poor Bogart makes Charlton Heston look good playing a Mexican. Pair this up with The Return of Doctor X for a long and curious evening
November 14, 2014
I really enjoyed this glance at the near-end of the Civil War by Michael Curtiz, who shows his directorial diversity with this historical Western. Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott and Humphrey Bogart are especially good in their roles. I haven't seen Dodge City--which this I've heard is the sequel for--but am looking forward to checking that film out, too. Highly recommended, especially for Errol Flynn and Civil War fans.
June 16, 2014
Vance Irby (Randolph Scott) is a Confederate officer tasked with sneaking a load of gold out of Virginia City and safely to the south. Kerry Bradford (Errol Flynn) is the Union spy trying to grab the gold for the north. Also on the trail of the gold is a Mexican bandit (a ridiculously miscast Humphrey Bogart). Saloon singer Julia Hayne (Miriam Hopkins) is torn between two loves--the south and Bradford. A solid western overall with some nice scenery (albeit in black and white).
November 4, 2013
All I want is a pocket full of rocks.

Union Officer Kerry Bradford escapes prison and encounters an eccentric woman from Virginia City, Nevada. He agrees to return to the city with her, but she will only allow him to follow her if he promises to not ask any questions. Shortly after arriving in her home town, he discovers that $5 million in gold is being sent though the town to save the confederacy. Will Bradford get involved in this money or will he stay under the radar with his new found friend?

"Are you going to visit your wife?"
"No. I was running away from her...and fast too."

Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, The Adventures of Robin Hood, the Vagabond King, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and Captain Blood, delivers Virginia City. The storyline for this picture is pretty good with dynamic characters and a good ending (a bit sad, but good). The settings were very well done and the film had a war and western feel at the same time. The acting was very good and the cast includes Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott, Humphrey Bogart, and Alan Hale.

"I thought I'd let you work out your own punishment."
"That's amusing."

I DVR'd this picture last May off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) for two reasons: it is directed by one of my all time favorite directors, the great Michael Curtiz, and it also has one of the all time great actors, Errol Flynn. Curtiz took a huge risk of mixing the two genres, the war drama and the western action pictures, and pulled it off. Flynn does a great job of battling his demons while participating in great shootouts. This isn't my favorite film by either stakeholder, but it is an entertaining picture with great characters and a magnificent ending.

"Can't you see this is murder?"

Grade: B
July 13, 2012
One of Bogie's best (yet small) performances.
January 19, 2011
Virginia City is an interesting film. The comic relief in this movie generates a few laughs. Errol Flynn and Miriam Hopkins give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did an amazing job directing this movie. I enjoyed this motion picture because of the action and history. Virginia City is highly recommended.