• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Visioneers Reviews

Spencer S

March 26, 2013
There's a lot of indecision attached to this film for most critics and I understand why. There are a lot of conceptually interesting and interwoven themes throughout, but if it's trying to reach for an emotion it didn't stir any. This wasn't funny, and really didn't try to be. It had some slightly funny ideas that could have been broadened to make it zany and out there like in the iconic "Brazil" while still retaining its inherent unease. Instead the film decides to stay gloomy and uninteresting throughout. Though it's obviously a very dark and pedestrian kind of film, it does have a lot of visually interesting effects, and makes some decisions about this dystopian world that are actually encouraging. The premise of the film is that Galifianakis' character works in a faceless company's upper department, and he is absolutely miserable. He's a direct descendant of George Washington; he lives in a big house, and has a beautiful wife and a non-existent child who never comes out of his room. He is absolutely despondent, which is precarious since people all around him are exploding thanks to their own depression and feelings of inadequacy. Everyone is trying to find a cure for this phenomenon by engaging in happy activities and by being fulfilled just as most daytime talk shows tell us every day. With the prospect of death hanging overhead it's those who see the horror of life and all its wandering disconnect that are exploding, or feeling something that everyone else can't touch. It calls for living life, but no one engages, not even Galifianakis, and he's the title character. It has some conceptually different themes and ideas, but that can't sustain an entire movie.
Lucas M

July 4, 2012
Visioneers it's a criative surrealist black comedy that show other side of Galifianakis before the sucess of The Hangover.
blkbomb
blkbomb

June 11, 2012
Todd: My doctor says I have to pull the trigger on my gun once an hour or I'll explode.

I'll start out by admitting that I didn't finish Visioneers. It was just that off-putting to me. It is really quirky and really understated, but it is also extremely dull and lifeless. It thinks it is being original and funny, but it isn't. I was struck by just how boring and lifeless the film. The dialogue is weak, the characters aren't interesting. I understand that the actors talk in a drab kind of way to get the point of monotony across, but everything the film was doing seemed like drab filmmaking of the worst kind. A movie can't be original and lifeless. Well it can, but it will fail like Visioneers. It's hard to put words to describe my hatred for this movie.

I didn't expect too much going in. The plot synopsis didn't really jump out at me. Done in a intelligent way, it has potential to be somewhat interesting, but nothing more. The way the film was done, it didn't even reach the point of somewhat interesting. The selling point for me were two actors I really like in Zach Galifianakis and the underrated and underused Judy Greer. These two actors aren't stars by any means and they can't carry a movie that doesn't have good dialogue or a good story. So they couldn't even come close to saving the travesty that was this movie. Their acting wasn't bad, they just had absolutely nothing to work with.

I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. One of the most depressing films I've watched in a long time, not because of the content, but because of how fucking dull it was. This is one of those movies that I just can't even begin to describe everything I disliked about it. All I can say is don't watch it. Galifianakis may be funny, but with this material, you won't laugh. You'll end up shutting it off 45 minutes in like I did. If you can make it to the end, more power to you. But I wasn't going to put myself through anymore torture.
Kase V

April 6, 2011
After a singeing opening scene and interesting expository, the movie loses it's touch as it begins to hit the 1 hour mark. The third act is a disappointing cluster of plot, emotion, and situation, save for the final 10 minutes. Galifianakis shows above-average chops as the frontman, a perfect casting choice. The real star, however, is debut director Jared Drake, who shows remarkable talent behind the camera and a certain eye for interesting cinema. Definitely a person to watch for in the future. In the end, you should only watch it if you're a BIG fan of the black comedy genre.
Aaron N

August 26, 2010

My good buddy Zibbs managed to take the words right out of my mouth. I too thought that this film was like a strange combination of Office Space and Equilibrium. It's a very bleak comedy, set in a future dystopian society, where your hero is Zach Galifianakis as sad sack George. There are some good elements to this film, but certainly not for anyone looking for a solid 90 minutes of easy laughs and nothing deeper

George is a third level employee at the Jeffers Corporation, supervising three or four others. Around the world, people are exploding as the stress of denying feelings takes its toll. The Jeffers' response: mind control. George and his wife are miserable: he's impotent with occasional fits of infantile pique. She's reading a book on happiness, trying everything. His brother, released from prison, starts of freedom-of-expression movement in George's backyard. Plus there's Charisma, a woman from Level Four who sends him paperwork - with smiley faces.

This film certainly fits Galifiankis' brand of alternative comedy, taking a very bleak setting and running with it. There are moments of irony and satirical plays on life later on in the film, but for the most part, you are pretty much stuck with George's depressing existence.

All that being said, for a small production, this is a well put together film. It's pretty slow and piles on a few too many subplots, but its certainly a different kind of film to watch.

Sara: 'Happiness is: being happy.'... What the fuck am I supposed to do with that?
Anthony L.
Anthony L.

January 5, 2012
I was honestly looking forward to watching this film. It looked creative and unique. I was so dissapointed to find out that it was a terrible movie. It was boring, it lacked of energy and altogether, was not a funny movie. I have seen some of Zach Galifianakis's other films and he was decent but his character in this movie is so lifeless and bland. I wouldn't say the acting was horrid but the plot and the scenario is so weird that you simply cannot just enjoy the film.
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

January 8, 2010
In some unspecified near future we'll be working for large global corporations, being spoonfed motivational TV, and if we're not completely satisfied with our beautiful home and our beautiful family,we'll spontaneously explode. Apparently.
A satire on western values, and entertainingly dull (which is possibly the point) with some pertinent jabs along the way.
Curt C

September 14, 2008
[28th Atlantic Film Festival]

Jared (director) and Brandon (writer) Drake have crafted together a film with a very simple moral, but have managed to create one of the most fascinating cultures I have ever witnessed in a film. I was blown away; which is fitting, since the film revolves around George Washington Winsterhammerman (descendant of the original G.W.), who notices that everybody around him has started to explode.

The exploding epidemic takes this fantasy world by storm. The keys to avoiding it are being productive, and happy. One way to be happy is to eat butter. And don't forget fried chicken. Fried Chicken is delicious, after all. Unfortunately, George soon succumbs to the first symptom of explosions - dreams.

This has quickly become my most quoted film, which is unfortunate since it seems only 7 people on flixster have currently seen it. Quirky, imaginative, with a fantastic message and an even better ending. At any point where you fear you're losing track of the film, a character always seems to pop up and soliloquize their inner turmoil at just the right moment. Very highly recommended, and I sincerely hope this will be the launchpad for the Drake brothers to become bigger players in the film world.
English47
June 6, 2013
Comedic dystopian film about a corporation essentially depriving people of their natural emotions... also explosions... and Zach Galifianakis. Very boring, but there's at least something along the lines of creativity and substance to enjoy.
April 2, 2012
The pacing of the movie was rather slow. The energy of the actors was rather low, BUT I think that's what the first-time director, Jared Drake was going for in this dystopian society portrayed here. Enough funny parts in this dark comedy to make it almost viewable - but don't expect Hangover 3 here.
January 26, 2012
I really like Zach Galifianakis, but this is bloody awful. I'm not sure why it's described as "quirky" or even as a "comedy" at all. It's just mind-numbingly dull. I cannot begin to imagine why I sat through the whole thing.
March 13, 2011
This film was so bad it made me want to explode, This film was such a let down and just such a dull and terrible film, This film is just strange, it looks like a comedy but yet it is not funny at all, as a matter of fact I am not sure what this film is. This film had a good idea for a story but that did not work out very well, The main issue with this film is that the characters are just so dull and boring I had wanted them to explode I had kept looking at how much time was left in this film hoping that it would all soon end, and in the end this film was a huge let down this was an hour and a half I would like back, overall their are two words to describe this film and those are Boring and dull I think this film could have been better if it had a bit more comedy and gave you more to laugh about I mean look at the poster for this film it just looks so funny, but in the end it is sadly not, I do not suggest this film
SpencerStrike
July 28, 2010
Zack Galifanakis plays a mid-level 'Visioneer' who starts to have dreams, which are a sign of an impending 'explosion.' After learning that one of his coworks exploded, he goes home to find out that over 100.000 People have exploded, Galifanakis starts to exhibit telltale signs of a looming explosion. He tries to live a non-explosive lifestyle, but he is impotent, binge eating, and depressed, all signs of a loom explosion. Good Cast, great, dark comedy, and superb direction and storyline
July 9, 2009
"Cause we can never be... Happy Enough."

I love the cinematography in this film. The movie's plot is like a combination of "Office Space," "i <3 huckabees," and "Equilibrium." This formula may work for some abstract thinkers, but the majority of viewers will be unimpressed. I know I really enjoyed the first half of the film; but once the second half stops being satirical, the movie begins to lose its charm.

"They don't even know they're doing the same thing as everyone else, just using a different name, entertaining themselves, missing it... Lying. None of them care about pole vaulting or dreams."
February 4, 2010
Visioneers immediately drops you into a world of absolute ridiculousness, augmented by sterile design and deliberate deadpan acting. At first, it's hilarious. Then, shit gets real. Before you know it, Visioneers is more than a hilarious absurdist comedy, it's a deeply affecting and brilliant film. Weird enough to be totally immersive, consistent in its unique and shifty tone, Visioneers drives it home to the very last frame. Simply put, it's the best movie I've seen in the last couple years.
dinahmoehum
November 9, 2009
I don't know how I feel about this one, not a bad movie at all, but perhaps a bit too realistic to be funny. i certainly recommend seeing it.
fagirltx
October 24, 2009
Trite in narrative, but extremely thoughtful in humor and the idea of happiness in American culture.
Ed K

October 14, 2009
Many a hysterical moment, but unfortunately accompanied by a few too many overly-complicating subplots.
May 1, 2009
One of my new favorite movies. Actually made me feel something which is not something I can say for most film nowadays.
August 16, 2014