Viva Maria

Viva Maria Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

January 15, 2013
After the death of her father, a daughter of a revolutionary joins a band of traveling musicians and actors before leading a revolution of her own.
The best that I can guess about this film is that it's a satire of revolutions or revolutionary films. Many of the scenes are so over-blown and beyond practical conception that it's impossible to take them seriously. However, I can't be sure. The satire is far from clear. What is clear is how utterly annoying everything about this film is. The characters are broadly drawn types, the situations are ludicrous, and the attempts at comic bits are as bad as anything I've seen. I found myself counting down the seconds this film had left, and watching it became a chore.
Overall, I hated this film even though there might be a mystery satire somewhere beneath all the bullshit.
littlecharmer1959
littlecharmer1959

April 28, 2008
Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau frolic round early 1900's Central America, leading a revolution, blowing things up, and inventing the striptease along the way. Sounds good? Sadly, that's not really the case. Bardot, Moreau and Malle have all done better things.
rickrudge
March 29, 2011
Viva Maria (1965)

We've been told that famous French sex kitten Brigitte Bardot never made a film in America. However, that's really untrue. She made Viva Maria on location in Mexico and that's in America. This French made western comedy was directed by Louis Malle.

It's hard to believe that this was considered very racy and actually was one of the movies instrumental in starting the whole MPAA rating code for movies. It's hardly worth a PG-13 now. Although this movie was very popular around the world, (European Westerns were very popular at the time) but it wasn't so popular here in the States, and was even banned in some towns probably more for being anti-church and capitalist than anything sexual.

Maria I (Bardot) is a young girl in Ireland and Britain who helped her father make and explode bombs on the british. They later moved to Central America and slowly moved up to Mexico before soldiers killed her father. Maria walks into a circus and meets Maria II (Jeanne Moreau) who is a singer and dancer in the circus. The two of them team up and become an act.

Maria I accidentally tears some of her clothes and becomes the inventor of the strip tease. Maria II meets a young revolutionary, Flores (George Hamilton) who gets her involved in the Mexican revolution. Maria I is quick to help out. Together they incite the poor to fight a local dictator.
August 18, 2011
"Viva Maria!" is in no doubt a bizarre movie, but is still one that I enjoyed. Two women named Maria (Bardot and Moreau) accidentally create the sriptease in early 1900's Mexico. They create a sensation, and while traveling to another venue to perform, Maria II falls for a Spanish revolution leader (Hamilton). When he dies, she swears to continue his work. The Maria's end up being quite the leaders, and are treated like saints. This movie was listed as a comedy, but I didn't laugh once. The other genre listed said action/adventure, and thankfully that was right. This film is pretty stupid, but when you're watching a movie, you have to look at other aspects besides art. I was entertained, and that's all that matters. "Viva Maria!" is one of those crowd-pleasing movies, that will never be a classic. But on the other hand, is a great movie to see if you wanna see French bombshells Brigitte Bardot and Jeanne Moreau together. No, these are not their greatest performances, but Moreau adds class to this movie, and Bardot adds fun, with all of her shooting skills ... This is a strange movie plot wise, because as the film goes on you realize, "why do they create the striptease?" Soon, it becomes a random scene, and I think the movie could have been better off had they ditched it and just had the Maria's be Spanish Revolution leaders. Oh well. "Viva Maria!" is pretty dumb, but a good time waster.