• R, 1 hr. 47 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Volunteers Reviews

AJ V

January 28, 2012
A fun movie, pretty well written, with a good cast, and everything else is pretty average for an 80s comedy. I wanted to rate this higher, but there were a bunch of stupid jokes thrown in that I thought the movie could have done without. Otherwise, it's an exciting, fun, charming little comedy. Overall I enjoyed it anyway, even though it's not the best it could be.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

May 4, 2011
Tom Hanks plays a rich Harvard snob Lawrence Bourne III, a Yalie with an upper-crust accent who joins the Peace Core to escape his gambling debts. Once on the plane, however, he has second thoughts and as soon as he gets off the plane, Lawrence literally goes down on his knees and begs the leader to send him back. But his pleas go in vain. Things begin to look up when an attractive fellow Corps woman, Beth (Rita Wilson) is assigned to the same village, along with an over-zealous but good-hearted engineer, Tom Tuttle from Tacoma, Washington (played by John Candy).

However, Beth won't give him the time of day and Tom is a royal pain in the ass nevertheless the trio gets immersed in an elaborate scheme to build a bridge. Hanks and Candy are very humorous while Gedde Watanabe plays a local named Toon, a fast-talking kid who went to an American School in Bangkok who helps Hanks and Candy communicate with his people.

Lawrence ends up building the bridge, but then realizes that it was a dreadful mistake, as he comes face to face with brainwashed Communists, deviant drug pushers and John Reynolds, as the crazed CIA operative, who names his Bowie knife "Mike."

A piece of trivia for you to digest: It was on this movie set that Tom Hanks won the heart of his second wife Rita Wilson and the duo are still married to date.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

July 18, 2011
Not very strong but some scattered laughs and exotic Thailand locations. John Candy lends Tom Hanks a helpful comedy hand once again just like in Splash.
iLeo
iLeo

April 12, 2007
Hilarious!
December 27, 2012
This was a Hanks movie that I had never heard of until I saw it on television, just recently. It wasn't one of his better performances.
April 29, 2008
I got this out of the bargain bin because it had two of my favorite actors... but I guess not everything they made was good!
mrmcclane
August 10, 2006
A very odd movie, but it made me chuckle and that's all that matters. I've never seen a stranger Tom Hanks movie.
1980sgirl
October 22, 2006
One of my least favorite Tom Hanks films. I hated his accent in this one! I don't like it when he plays a jerk!
May 15, 2006
Not very funny. Kind of dumb. This is before Hanks and Candy really took off with their careers. See "Splash" instead.
March 26, 2006
I just watched this movie a little while ago. Very strange but intriguing and interesting. Pretty funny
March 23, 2006
My sister says this definitely fits the stereotyped profile of a peace corps volunteer. It makes her laugh alot.
June 23, 2014
Tom Hanks and John Candy lead us on this shallow, silly tour of an unusually volatile Peace Corp mission to Thailand. Both play wacky charicatures - Hanks as a snooty Connecticut socialite in the wrong place, Candy a naive simpleton with two left feet - and that extra dash of color ultimately saves the picture from sliding into the deepest dregs. Though the plot revolves around the construction of a massive wooden bridge to benefit the natives, we spend most of the picture watching Hanks's Kennedy wannabe struggle to emerge from his loathsome, self-absorbed shell, largely inspired by the unrequited affections of fellow missionary Rita Wilson. The pair would actually spark a lifelong romance during filming (they're still together today, bucking the Hollywood norm) but the on-set chemistry doesn't translate to anything special on the screen. Lightly humorous in the spirit of an only-okay SNL sketch, it's inoffensive and flashy but not all that memorable.
November 11, 2013
I'm a big fan of pre superstar Tom Hanks movies like "Dragnet," "The Burbs," and "The Money Pit" and who grew up in the 80's and didn't like John Candy but this movie didn't really do much for me. This probably explains why I'd never watched it until now. A lot of much better comedies were released in tge 80's. I'd watch one of them instead.
January 2, 2013
One of the funniest movies you'll find in the 99 cent rental section. Probably one of the late John Candy's most hilarious roles and you can see glimpses of the great actor that Tom Hanks has become. This movie is an excellent spoof of several movies, most notably, The Bridge on the River Kwai. I highly recommend this movie to anyone looking an hour-and-a-half of belly laughs.
October 8, 2012
Though it grows on me a little more every time I watch it, "Volunteers" is hardly what one can honestly call a good comedy. In their commendable performances, leads Tom Hanks and John Candy provide a reasonable amount of laughs despite a script that seems more bent on providing pointless banter. The direction is rough; Nicholas Meyer doesn't show comedy to be his forte, as many potential gags are either lost in the editing or simply missed entirely. The score by composer James Horner and a plethora of references to David Lean films are a highlight, but otherwise, "Volunteers" has little more to offer.
Donald C. D.
June 27, 2012
Better than Bridge over the River Kwai and I mean that! Definitely underrated.
May 7, 2011
An okay spoof of Bridge Over A River Kwai. Hank's accent is rather annoying and he loses it in parts. Candy's role was small. The direction was fine and there were a few funny moments. It had the potential but didn't deliver.
Matthew J.
April 16, 2011
One of the funniest and charmingest movies ever made.
Luc L.
November 10, 2010
Tom Hanks and John Candy were good, unfortunately the story was weak.
Travis M.
December 26, 2009
Volunteers had potential to be a great film but the story plot seemed to fall apart about half way through the film and thats when things started to get a little bit boring.