Waiting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waiting Reviews

½ May 7, 2007
A funny comedy and Ryan Reynolds continues to impress me in parts here and there. Luis Guzman as Raddimus is great!!
½ October 3, 2010
"Waiting" has got to be one of the lamest excuses for a film in the history of comedy. The entire movie takes place in a restaurant called Shenanigans, and while Dean (Justin Long) is likeable as the lead star and his story, interesting, the film has no real plot. The script is a bunch of random conversations about sex, drugs and work, and the jokes are never funny. I needed to force myself to find once laugh throughout this film. The main story is that Dean is deciding to enrol in school to become something better, and the end shows that, even though it's dull and the way it is executed is dumb. This film tries way too hard to be funny and much too hard to gross you out. I could not wait for this film to end, no pun intended. Everything about this comedy is uninspired and completely contradicts the genre in my opinion. "Waiting" is far worse than just a waste of time. There is absolutely no reason for why it was made!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ December 5, 2011
"What happens in the kitchen ends up on the plate."

Young employees at Shenaniganz restaurant collectively stave off boredom and adulthood with their antics.

REVIEW
Waiting couches its tale of debauchery with the narrative thread that it's the first day for new trainee Mitch (John Francis Daley), who never gets to say a word the whole day because people are too busy commenting on the place to allow him to speak. We see that almost every employee pretty much hates the restaurant (which felt very realistic to me, especially for a gross comedy), yet they revel in one another's company even while attempting to set one another up. For most of the guys, this revolves around a game where you try to trick the other males in the restaurant into looking at your exposed genitalia. This sounds particularly juvenile and gross, and yet writer/director Rob McKittrick manages to get a number of genuine belly laughs out of such an absurd and grotesque game. It helps that Guzman, Reynolds, and the rest of the boys in the kitchen play their roles with such gusto, as if it really were the most important thing in their day to expose themselves to the others (and with this crew, it actually is).

There are a lot of gross gags in this film (one was so bad I actually gagged watching it), so be warned, and the humor is exceedingly blue. But the movie is surprisingly sharp and funny, and there's a joke at the end which is hilarious; it's been building for the whole film and yet you never realize it until it's revealed. Waiting is far from a perfect film - it runs a little too long, and some of the characters at times veer into cartoon territory, but it's also a very funny movie with more than a few running threads that pay off several times. It's certainly worth a viewing if you can stand the ribald subject matter.
½ October 27, 2011
Definitely a cool funny film to watch that will get some laughs out of you.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
A really funny comedy, that has you cringing in a good way. Definitely a must see! Some of the scenes were they mess with the ladies food are really well thought out scenes - hilarious! 10/10
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 28, 2011
Waiting focuses on the adventures of employees at shenanigans restaurant. Entertaining film with gross out humour, Waiting gives a wacky glimpse at the employees at Shenanigans. The story follows Dean as he's been working through 4 years at the restaurant. Waiting is a pretty funny film, if you can stomach it. Some parts are pretty gross, especially when the characters play "The Game", which I won't reveal here, but that other reviewers know what I'm talking about. Waiting is a fairly ordinary film with good, sometimes hilarious moments. The cast do a decent job and the characters are simply wacky. Waiting may not be the best film in the genre, but it does manage to bring on a few great laughs, and considering the setting is a restaurant, the filmmakers were able to pull off something quite good here. The film is nothing spectacular, but it's one that you watch with friends and have a good laugh. Theres not exactly great writing in the film, as some have pointed that it's similar to Clerks. However unlike Clerks, this film has no future legacy. Clerks broke new ground in the genre. Waiting follows but to less effective results. Still Waiting has plenty of laughs and good moments that make this a unique film to. Not to mention that this film is also one of the rare moments that Dane Cook is actually funny.
FiLmCrAzY
½ October 28, 2007
This movie is hilarious!
I mean there isnt much to the storyline but with a great cast it truly is funny!
I think everyone watching this movie would want to work in a place like this and play that 'fag' game!
Pure brilliance!
June 17, 2007
Disgusting, perverted, and nauseatingly over-the-top ... but oddly endearing.
½ March 21, 2009
The fact that i gave this and "Dude where's my car" decent ratings definitely adds to my parents' argument that im not ready for the real world.
December 9, 2008
The wit was missing in this film, centering on yet another restaurant named Shenanigans. Mostly "guy humor" it possessed no true hilarity because it overall just tried too hard to be another Clerks, or Mallrats. There was intention, but no follow through.
3niR
July 4, 2010
The most unhygienic restaurant I've ever seen. I don't feel like eating outside after watching this. Their revenge almost made me sick. I felt so nauseated that I thought I was (and still am) going to vomit ! (I so wish to erase this memory).
Now about the story, I felt it was based on reality (though I don't have any experience or know anyone who worked in a restaurant). But it looked real and convincing. And I think there were some funny scenes that I laughed and enjoyed.
deano
February 7, 2007
Cool black comedy about the restaurant staff messing with customers. While I was watching what the chefs were doing with the meals that could make me get sick and almost vomit - lol! What also makes this comedy stand out is the great casting and colourful characters. The always funny Ryan Reynolds leads the crew of misfits including Anna Faris, Justin Long and the incredibly hilarious Luiz Guzman. But an angry chick waitress played by Alanna Ubach is much hilarious!
cosmo313
June 9, 2006
This kind of thing has been done so many times before, and done much better too. I like movies with disaffected characters, and movies that take place over the course of a single day. This movie features both, but it fails to succeed because the writing isn't that good. Most of the characters are so annoying and unlikeable, and none of the conversations are really all that interesting. The best character was probably the CHi McBride character, but even he barely redeems this movie. I did laugh, but most of the jokes just aren't that funny. I did like the cast overall, even if all the performances fall short of the mark. What a disappointment (not that I was expecting it to be brilliant anyway).
November 8, 2007
Okay, but pretty disgusting in places. I really struggle to get past the first twenty minutes of this film, but once the awful customers start, it's kind of worth watching, and there is a good cast in this. It really would have benefited from losing some of the gross humour though, it brings it down a bit.
middleeasternfilms
May 17, 2008
Not a classic comedy, but more of a cult classic in the style of Office Space centering around the everyday work life of employees at the fictional Shenanigan's restaurant. It's got sick, juvenile humour that carries it to the final minutes, but sometimes you just need that in life.
DerekA101
May 19, 2008
"She broke the cardinal rule; never fuck with people who handle your food. "

Toilet humor at its best, Waiting is an ultimate guilty pleasure. In order to fully appreciate this film, a history of working in a restaurant is recommended. Waiting is about a group of college-aged kids who work at a local restaurant. They delay their future by waiting tables and partying all night.

This film NAILS it! Everything about it is 100% accurate. The relationships that are formed with co-workers, to the anal boss, to the obnoxious customers, to the stoner dish monkeys... it's all authentic.

For me, Waiting serves as a documentary. All new friends I meet through my work who haven't seen it are invited over for a viewing.

Despite my personal relation to the film, it's also hilarious. With an ensemble comedic cast that includes Ryan Reynolds, Dane Cook, Anna Farris, Justin Long, Luis Guzman, David Koechner, and Andy Milonakis, this film is guaranteed to crack you up. Also, lesser-known Alanna Ubach gave the funniest performance as the foul-mouthed, short-tempered waitress Naomi.

If you work in a restaurant, or have ever waited tables, then you MUST watch Waiting... hell, EVERYONE should watch this so you can see how to act properly in a restaurant. Don't fuck with people who handle your food. It's so unnecessary to be an ass. I have seen much worse done to rude customers than they do in this film.

Be nice. It's contagious.

And for cris sakes, if you can't afford at least a 15% tip minimum, then don't eat at a restaurant where some unfortunate soul is going to be forced to wait after your cheap ass. Ok?

Sorry. I'm done ranting now.

"Well, Alzheimer's can't be all bad. You get to meet new people every day."
September 6, 2008
Waiting is a toilet humor film that tries to be Clerks but fails (there's even a thank you list like in Kevin Smith films that lists... Kevin Smith). Slightly above average mainly because of Chi McBride and Luis Guzman and his game. It's not The Godfather, but it is entertaining if you like sick, degenerate humor.
MANUGINO
½ July 30, 2008
Hilarious movie and disgusting at the same time. A waiter for four years since high school, Dean has never questioned his job at Shenanigan's. But when he learns that Chett, a high school classmate, now has a lucrative career in electrical engineering, he's thrown into turmoil about his dead-end life. Dean's friend Monty is in exactly the same boat, but he couldn't care less. More concerned with partying and getting laid, Monty is put in charge of training Mitch, a shy new employee. Over the course of one chaotic shift, Mitch gets to know the rest of Shenanigan's quirky staff: Monty's tough-talking ex-girlfriend, Serena, Shenanigan's over-zealous manager, Dan, and head cook Raddimus, who's obsessed with a senseless staff-wide competition known only as "The Game".
July 5, 2007
This movie was SO funny! I'm pretty sure I was laughing the entire time. Twisted, but great!