Waiting to Exhale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

FilmFanatik
½ December 24, 2007
Meh.
½ December 2, 2007
It gets a little slow towards the end...but, it's okay.
thmtsang
½ August 5, 2007
Movie about friendship and how very different women deal with their partners.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 22, 2007
a movie about angry chicks
January 31, 2008
A cute movie I saw when I was a bit too young and just rewatched. I liked the characters but there was a bit sloppy stories that were a little too overdone or one-sided.
October 8, 2015
Whitney Houston is gorgeous in this movie, Angela Bassett's talent shines despite the very predictable script, and Loretta Devine's strut from her neighbor's moving truck back to her house could set Lake Tahoe on fire

Every "bad", negative, or unimportant character in this movie is white.
The accountant from Bernadine's husband's firm is white (and gets a huge slap across her face, because yeah, get it white women, you whores and home-wreckers!), the girl fooling around with Gloria's son is white (what a slut!), the judge that pronounces an unfavorable verdict is white (ahhh don't get me started! The rage against old white powerful men can be felt through the screen), the bride and groom who dare to be having their pictures taken as Bernie leaves the court house (how dare you, white people, to be happy at such a time as this!).
The best part of the entire movie is probably the naivete of it. You can definitely tell the movie was made in the 1990s - and it's not a bad thing. In fact it's quite nostalgic to look at the hairstyles, outfits, and makeup of those days, and to remember how people were slightly nicer to each other than now. It's very relaxing to watch a movie that doesn't involve guns or violence and this movie is definitely like that.

The scene between Savannah and her lover from the past (Kenneth) had me turn away and not look at the screen for a few moments. I then ran to my kitchen and had a jalapeno pepper sprinkled with Sriracha sauce, hot sauce, and a good helping of salt, all to cut down the sugary-sweet mushy stuff happening on the screen. "I love you Savannah, I know I am married"....bleeeergh.
The verdict: I enjoyed watching Whitney Houston and Angela Bassett do some excellent work. Would not watch another movie or read a novel by Terry McMillan, though.
December 31, 2011
Sex and the city for black women. Whitney got some acting lessons that's for sure. I liked the music more than the actual movie. Angela Bassett's character/story is the most interesting IMO.
½ February 2, 2012
a great film and a great cast. The message here is...friendship... above all else. A theme that really rings home with me. Very well done by the wonderful Forest Whitaker.
½ November 7, 2010
Waiting to Exhale has to be one of the best black dramas ever produced to date. It's not that the story is just humorous or dramatic, but more so that it's touching, moving, inspiring, and down right captivating. Certainly, this is Whitney Houston in her better days... nonetheless, she plays a brilliant role as a young strong successful black woman looking for a strong black man that she may simply let go and relax in his arms and just... exhale. If you want to see one of the best African American casted dramas to date, soon to be a classic, then this is it.
½ April 19, 2010
(from The Watermark, 01/04/96)
Four attractive, intelligent and talented African-American women act like a bunch of idiots. Inexplicably simping around and feeling incomplete because they don't have men in their lives, they date various losers and wonder why they're not happy. Director Forest Whitaker capably handles the visual side of the film with warm colors and inviting shot compositions. Better he should have cleaned up the horribly haphazard plots in the lackluster screenplay. Houston is blah in her performance; hers is the character we least care about throughout the film. Bassett, as always, is mesmerizing. Most disappointing is that it takes too long for all the characters to learn to not depend on another person for validation. And none of the realizations rings true. Queer Quotient: One of the women learns that her son's father is gay. The son starts making jokes, but thank goodness Mom tells him to shut up.
April 15, 2010
This movie will never grow old because it's happening everyday.Women sacrifising who they are,to help a man-only to find out he aint worth it.
August 25, 2009
These 4 women kind of deserve the crap they get put through. Maybe some problem-solving skills would have been a nice addition to the script.
January 8, 2009
Total chick flick, man-hatin' movie. Saw it just recently and not until now have I realized the true unimportance of Whitney Houston's character.
½ December 20, 2008
Women- Trials/Truimphs/friends. Cant keep a good woman down msg... In my collection & can watch over & over
September 2, 2008
It's sad we don't get more movie sthat dig so deep into the lives of black women (I find Tyler Perry's movies rather shallow). Angela Bassett has never been more endearing, she's tough, intelligent and you can't help but always root for her.
½ August 27, 2008
Angela did an awesom job in this film. her character was strong and it realted to majority of women out there.
September 5, 2007
great movie.....Angela Bassett done it again....well what more can i say....after i watched this movie.....i exhaled....forest whitaker directed this movie and he did a fantastic job with this movie...great storyline...and great cast too....everyone that played in this movie did a very good job....
June 18, 2008
HMMM, THIS MOVIE WAS OK BUT I DID NOT LIKE THE FACT THAT BLACK WOMEN MOVE UP ONLY WITH THEIR BODIES. BULLSHIT.
November 12, 2015