Waking the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waking the Dead Reviews

½ August 16, 2008
I kick myself for actually liking this movie. Billy Crudup is understatedly wonderful. This is how the terrible book should've been paced.
½ January 18, 2008
I loved the dichotomy of Waking the Dead's story right off the bat - part political flick, part romance, part ghost mystery? Interesting roots, but sadly the movie most often plays to its obvious avenues, and where there should have been atmosphere and melancholy there instead exists cliche.

The problem is that the crux of Waking the Dead, its love story, is the weakest part. Fielding and Sarah are good characters, but there's something missing - a lack of focus on the couple's good times, I think. They spend a lot of their time together locked in political repartee, which generally ends in some personal barb and all parties involved being pissed off or upset. They should just gone out for ice cream or roller bladed or something; you know, a tether to prove that these people ACTUALLY liked each other. Without it, the final moments of the movie kind of fall flat, and turns a movie that could have been genuinely affecting into something strong, if not forgettable.

There's no denying that it is a strongly written movie, literate and full of governmental allegory. The lead performances are equally excellent, though Billy Crudup occasionally trips up on the admittedly dense dialogue. Unfortunately, it's just not enough - the movie spends too much time on Fielding's uninteresting campaign when it should be showing us more about the relationship that was taken away from him. Show us what he's missing.
November 19, 2007
I rented it for Conelly. Ended up hittin the old fast forward button so I could redeem my precious life lost.
August 1, 2009
This film was heavy, that's for sure.
I thought the nonlinear storyline was effective. Visually this film won me over. The imagery was starkly beautiful, lighting was used to great effect; sometimes to provide warmth at other times to make a room uncomfortably bright.
It reminds me of the Constant Gardener, the version that would have unfolded if the man hadn't sought answers to his partner's death. What would've happened if he had tried to simply move on with his life.
August 30, 2011
Directed by Keith Gordon. The screenplay by Robert Dillon is based on the 1986 novel of the same name by Scott Spencer.The film flashes back and forth between the 1970s and 1980s and centers on the relationship between Fielding Pierce, a young Coast Guard officer with political ambitions, and idealistic Roman Catholic Sarah Williams, who is drawn to programs designed to better the lives of the underprivileged and has mixed feelings about his career goals.Pointless movie based in a pointless novel.Despite the good performances,the story is void and shallow.
January 10, 2008
Nice premise, wonderful characters, excepcional performances, just wish they would have more background to what she/they/he stood for.
½ December 6, 2007
OK, so, I heard how fantastic Billy Crudup was in Jesus' Son, then in Stage Beauty. I saw him as Russell Hammond in Almost Famous and wasn't disappointed, but wasn't overly impressed either. Of course the reason for that, in my opinion, is that the film isn't really about his character anyway. However, here, I was almost disturbed by how many actors I was reminded of as the movie went on--here's a rough list that I kept in my head as it went: Joaquin Phoenix, Sean Maher, Rob Lowe, Jimmy Smits,Tobey Maguire, Christian Bale, Skeet Ulrich. Each time it was primarily a physical reminder of the actor, but occasionally there was a behavioural or characteristic reminder. Smits' eyebrow-raising that symbolized his skeptical but essentially respectful listening, the eager, sort of nerdy hollowness of the attentive and bright Tobey Maguire (especially as Peter Parker or in Pleasantville), and the intense, dark, heavily browed look Joaquin can give in appropriate roles, the false charm of Bale as Patrick Bateman, the honest charm of Skeet Ulrich in the role for which I know him best--Paul Callan of Miracles.

Anyway, I smelled a cold, spacious artsy drama when I saw the cover and read the title of this film--and when I saw the two stars, Billy Crudup and Jennifer Connelly. I am, as such, wary of films like this becuase they are almost always filled with talent, skill, interest and intelligence, but can succeed or fail depending on the attitude of the author and/or director. If he or she is self-important, pretentious and condescending, the entire film is often ruined. Here, thankfully, that is not the case.

Fielding Pierce (Crudup) is watching a news report on television, announcing the carbombing of a Catholic activist group in Minneapolis, and then that this group includes one Sarah Williams (Connelly). He sobs and presses his hands to his forehead in confused, unconscious distress, angst and sadness. So, we begin the film knowing that Sarah has died. The year, we're told, is 1974. Suddenly, a fade to white reveals the date is 1972, and now we see Fielding in Coast Guard uniform, wandering into what is obviously not his element--a clear counterculture publishing office, playful confrontations with the workers, apparently going to see his brother Danny as publisher. Danny's secretary is none other than Sarah Williams, who we can tell as yet does not know Fielding. This, we find, is how they meet, and after a dinner dominated by Fielding's politics, philosophy and viewpoint, they have a date that evening in which she sarcastically suggests she will only agree to if allowed to talk.

From here it is a clash; Fielding is a senator-to-be, hoping to gain and use political footing to improve the world and eventually become president and really shake up the system. Sarah is an activist with no interest in a government she sees as irredeemably corrupt, idealizing and admiring revolutionaries. Somehow, despite this, they fall clearly and obviously in love. They are fully aware of their conflicting interests--Fielding is in the Coast Guard, attending Harvard to try and get himself to his final goal, while Sarah is working through her Catholicism as an activist in a home for orphaned children. And so we begin to shift in time back and forth, first the 70s, then 1982, Fielding now being offered a chance at the position of Senator, Sarah still a memory. He begins to hear her voice, see signs of her presence and is unable to shake them or write them off. We see how deeply they were into each other's lives, and how difficult it was to reconcile their worlds. This difficulty of reconciliation comes back to haunt Fielding, emotionally and to some degree mentally unseating him.

The supporting cast includes Jim Carroll Lynch, permanently ingrained in my brain as Steve Carey, transvestite brother of Drew Carey and wife of his nemesis Mimi, as Father Mileski, the priest who takes Sarah to Chile, as well as the great Hal Holbrook, known to us genre fans from John Carpenter's The Fog, George A. Romero's Creepshow, as Isaac Green, Fielding's political mentor, who maneouvres things behind the scenes to put things into motion for him and coaches him into finding the greatness he seeks from his working class roots.

What I found most frustrating about this film, though, were the politics, viewpoints and ideology of Sarah. Connelly performs her perfectly, it should be noted, capturing exactly the smug, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, condescending, patronizing, tactless, uncontrolled attitude of the folk I've known of the more activist mindsets. I find them endlessly irritating despite agreeing with their goals and essential desires, which seems to be the feeling Fielding has of Sarah, outside the love he feels for her, much like her love for him is outside her distaste for his willingness to bend and hide his feelings from others to serve politics. However, she has no tact whatsoever and expresses venemous and profane distaste to a man whose article she has read when she meets him at a party Fielding is attending to build a reputation and name for himself. It was not charming, amusing or cheer-inspiring. She came off as disrespectful to the man she supposedly loves, petty, childish and immature. While her distaste for what he said was certainly justifiable, what point did it really serve to call him out like that and express her disgust with him so openly? Does that serve any real purpose? So, what, she can feel righteous in her condemnation of him and at least mildly sabotage her lover's lifelong work?

Is she going to overthrow the U.S. government? If not, wouldn't it be good to have Fielding working to change it from the inside? This point is actually made later, in an inverse scene where Fielding is surrounded by Father Mileski, Sarah and the Chilean activists they have recently rescued. They speak ill of the church, inspiring no devastating comments from Mileski or Sarah, then tell Fielding, with sneers, that it is shocking that he would follow in the footsteps of the obviously corrupt existing politicians. He responds in clear frustration and feelings of being attacked by everyone--justifiable, I feel--that this is nonsensical, that just because he chooses that path does not mean he will be corrupted. Acting within the system is the only way to do something without changing the system itself. Fielding goes on to say that it must mean something that he, as a working class man, is ABLE to make himself into a Senator if he chooses, that, yes, it's a heavily flawed system with heavily flawed components, but that it has to be something that he can do that. Mileski makes the hideous remark that this sounds like a sick man using his symptoms to describe his health. Sarah points out this is an unfair and cold remark, but Fielding says this sounds like something Sarah would say, which leaves him alone in the conversation, she says. This is, while realistic, similarly unfair. From what we've seen, that's a completely accurate claim for him to make. She is always condescending to him and accuses him of horrible things consistently. While he isn't a perfect man by any stretch, he tends to at least be somewhat more respectful of her and her needs, dreams and interests.

But, that's not what determines a film's worth or value. Just because it accurately portrays something I'm not a fan of does not make it flawed; if that portrayal is indeed accurate and instills this kind of reaction in me through its accuracy or representation, then it has achieved something. It may or may not be the intention, I suppose, but it comes off quite well in the end.
June 17, 2007
This is the first movie where I saw Jennifer Connelly for what she was: One of the best actresses of our time. She brings smart, sexy, and soulful into every movie i've seen her in ... especially this one.

A REALLY great love story.
½ January 14, 2007
Determines your "mushy factor." A half box of kleenex for me. A young Jennifer Connelly and Billy Crudup with Lori Carson's haunting song 'Snow Come Down" just put me away.
½ July 29, 2006
Reasonable script and performances, but it lacks excitement and intensity. It failed to draw me in enough to care about the outcome.
March 26, 2014
A beautiful film and a beautiful love story. It really moved me.
February 27, 2012
Very haunting. A movie to make me miss someone so badly though he/she knew it'd never come true again.
½ July 19, 2011
Great story filled with highly dramatic content. The passionate love between both main characters is strong and makes the movie that more likable.
January 23, 2011
I liked the use of the Peter Gabriel song in the final scene.
March 17, 2010
Nice film, issues aired and balanced. If you don't like that then being adorned by Connelly and some refreshingly convincing passion-scenes should give something for everyone.
½ December 24, 2009
I know this twisted ghost story will not be for everyone but I liked it. not right away but after a couple viewing or so when I began to understand the quirkiness and darkness of it I truely give the director( which is better at diecting than he was at acting)(glad he switched careers)credit for trying something new and different. and I don't mean this to sound tacky but does anyone else agree that as far as modern actresses jennifer connelly delivers more believable love scenes than anyone else! I mean there are some scene in this film in particular that you really feel that for as fake as the love scenes are that her and billy are doing things for real! it seems so personal you want to look away. she even tears up while having an orgasm and I have never seen that occur with any other actress before or since. the chemistry of course is always there between them whether they are fighting or making up everything is so intense. they both give their all and it is great to watch it happen. they were good in inventing the abbotts together but in this you can tell how comfortable they are with each other and almost anticipate the other persons reaction to things. some parts are a bit slow but I recommend this indie for anyone wanting something different and dark that makes you think!
½ January 27, 2009
I've heard a lot of critics call this movie "slow," "boring," "meandering," etc. I have to wonder what kind of slow they mean? Slow as in, not an action movie? I'll concede to that. But slow intellectually? Emotionally? I don't think so. There are some parts of the movie that are painfully corny, but otherwise the movie is moving and complex. As Fielding, the main character, begins to suspect he's losing his mind, the audience surely begins to wonder that as well. Is his beloved Sarah still really alive? Is he imagining her? The sentiments implicated by the resolution of the film are something anyone who has loved, lost, and grieved can relate to.
½ April 28, 2008
Jennifer Connelly and Billy Crudup are absolutely fantastic in this film.
½ January 5, 2008
In Manic, a bunch of troubled teenagers are in a facility and Don Cheadle is their therapist/warden. Its like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for teens. Zooey Deschanel (All the Real Girls) is in it, and she's really good. The main teen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) does a really good job too. Its depressing, well-acted, and pretty interesting, just not outstanding.

The Reaping is about the 10 Old Testament plagues coming to some small town in Louisiana. This probably deserves a 4 or a 5, but I'm a sucker for anything with supernatural phenomena. Hilary Swank is a former minister or something who has lost her faith and now debunks miracles. Gasp, will she achieve redemtion in the bayou when she goes to investigate a river of blood? The girl from Bridge of Terabithia is in it, and is pretty freaky, and the computer animated locusts and things aren't too terrible, but the movie is just kind of cheesy. Still, worth watching if you're a fan of this type of thing I guess.

Disturbia is a teen thriller about a kid who thinks his next-door neighbor is a serial killer. The thing is, he's under house arrest and can't leave. I thought this was really good. Its funny, you grow to love the characters, its well-acted, its intense... In short, everything you could want out of any teen thriller. For its genre, it gets a 10, but really its no masterpiece in the big picture, grand scheme of things.

Waking the Dead is a depressing, kind of eerie film about a politician who has lost his love 10 years before (Jennifer Connelly), but starts seeing her everywhere. The scenes between them capture love in a way I haven't seen elsewhere very often (only Eternal Sunshine, The Jacket, and Before Sunrise come to mind), even though the two actors don't seem well-matched. That part makes this film far better than its script really is. Also, I'm a sucker for anything supernatural, as I said.

Vacancy is a really great, very short thriller about a couple (Kate Beckinsale and Luke Wilson) who end up in the middle of nowhere at some shady little motel, only to find out the owners are psychos who want to make snuff films with them as the actors. Its actually extremely creepy, and the two main characters have a very vivid, realistic chemistry between them - in the beginning they're bickering a lot like a real married couple and then they sort of bond through their trauma together in a very real way. This is one of the better thriller/horror films I've seen, but I love this sort of film and my extensive travels through shady little towns like this one may have made it scarier for me.