• Unrated, 1 hr. 54 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Walk, Don't Run Reviews

Apeneck F

April 23, 2008
Grant's last film ... and therein the reason to go there. And he's competent enough, given a few scenes wherein the old magic can shine, and by george, he's still got it. But the overall work, eh, not so much, a light and obvious love match-up interestingly set against the 1964 Toyko Olympic Games, with Grant as the matchmaker.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
Grant's last movie! It's a remake of an older movie, which I liked better, actually, but this movie has a good cast and it's funny, so I liked it anyway.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 18, 2010
Holy Cary Grant in his boxers! Loved that. Freaking priceless and it may have been his last film, but damn, he went out in style. Grant is easily and obviously the best part of this film and he is pure brilliance. Can't say quite as much for the story, but it was still a cute little romantic comedy and I'll give plot and setting a + for originality.
Sunil J

August 7, 2010
It was just too much. Cary Grant does a nice job as usual but the characters are all blah and Samantha Eggar is just annoying. It was a lot of strung together silly moments without any real story.
December 28, 2010
I went into this one expecting Cary Grant as more of the male lead instead of the older matchmaker figure, but overall the performances are charming enough to make this passable.

Has a lot of clever moments and interactions and a fun surprise reveal near the end as we finally learn what sport one of our leads is actually involved in, after it's been teased out for the duration of the film.

Well worth a look, give ti a rental.
jam233
May 12, 2010
Can't compare to the original version from 1943 "The More the Merrier". Forced comedy, occasionally amusing. Without Cary Grant it would have been a dud. Tim Hutton just doesn't have what it takes in this film. Samantha Eggar is a bland choice. Uninspiring fluff.
May 1, 2009
It said that when asked why he quit making movies, Cary Grant said that he though he was too old to be the leading man and that his fans wouldn't accet anything else. I think it's too bad because I believe he would have delivered his best acting had he continued. Perhaps he avoided being exploited however. I found myself wanting more from Cary Grant following his real life exploits through the tabloids until his death in 1986 at age 82. But, it's better to appreciate what was than regret what was not. Cary Grant was great and a true gift to cinema.
February 22, 2008
This wasn't the highest note a star like Cary Grant could go out on but it does him justice. The story is corny and somewhat un-engaging. This isn't because of Jim Hutton or Samantha Eggar, they were fine. Grant is in fact the only reason to watch this though.
September 9, 2008
Cary Grant's last film is witty and satisfying. This is definately not a plot driven movie, as story development is in sparse chunks here and there and then packed into the end. That's okay. It relied on its well timed gags and chemistry between Eggar and Grant. Which reminds me, I must thank this movie's casting department for introducing me to Samantha Eggar.
July 25, 2007
You can't talk about this movie without talking about Cary Grant and he was as always brilliant. I though Jim Hutton gave one of his best performances, he really played off of Grant well. There comedic timing seemed to meld. While not up to the par of Grant's earlier work, still a fun, cute film to watch.
johnneyboy012000
June 30, 2007
It's hard to believe this was Grant's last film, how could he retire from giving us performances this good? As for the film itself, it really still is fun after all these years.
October 6, 2006
not one of Cary Grant's best efforts...a shame since it was his last film. It's a reamake of The More the Merrier, the original was much better.
June 8, 2006
Who knew they could make a good screwball comedy in the '60's? Nobody made those by that time. But still, this movie was made, and I am shocked that more people haven't heard of it or seen it, because it is fantastic. Cary Grant sure picked a great last movie!
nbruce
May 31, 2006
Higher rating on a big screen. See the original with Charles Coburn, Joel McCrea and Jean Arthur - The More the Merrier
July 16, 2014
Back to 1964 to find 60s Tokyo.
Four Star Film Fan
June 10, 2013
This was the last screen performance of legendary actor Cary Grant and for once he is not the one getting the girl. This time he is the matchmaker in this adaption of the earlier classic The More the Merrier. Grant's character finds himself in Tokyo during the 1964 Olympics and the only room he can get is from a young English girl. This causes some difficulty but they make it work. It gets even more complicated after Grant meets a young American architect who is competing in a mysterious event in the Games. Sir William Rutland secretly puts the two young people together. It seems doomed from the beginning but through a wacky conclusion somehow it all works out in the end. Not a great film, but a decent swan song for Grant and it is certainly fun to have the film set in Tokyo.
July 16, 2012
With the Olympics around the corner, I thought this movie was worthy of a mention. It's worth it if for not only the repeated teases before the sport that 'Steve Davis' is in Tokyo to participate in. Also, notable for being Cary Grant's last feature film.
September 18, 2011
Carey Grant goes out on a high note in his final film. All the great dialog that you come to expect from the romcoms of yesterdays comes off very much a passing of the torch
jazza923