Walker

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Walker Reviews

Ken S

November 19, 2008
I really don't get the appeal. I like Alex Cox, but this is just...bad.
Michael S

January 3, 2008
A historical biopic on acid and about 13 other hard drugs! Alex Cox's "WALKER" is a feverish, unbelievably delirious film that while based on facts, refuses to limit itself in any way or take any obvious direction (in what other film could a 19th century Mercenary possibly make the covers of both TIME MAGAZINE and NEWSWEEK). I haven't seen a film this ridiculous in some time, but I actually really liked it! A part of me feels this film is some kind of odd work of manic genius; the other part of me thinks I'm completely insane for admitting that!
Lafe F

July 30, 2007
A strange war movie with black humour and no regard for historical accuracy. It's told very well, and very bloody throughout, but the comedy makes it watchable. The long climax with the civilian slaughter and burning of the city, with the mesermizing music by Joe Strummer of "The Clash" - is powerful and unforgettable. Ed Harris is devilish in his role as William Walker. I wish the lazy folks at Universal Home Video would release this to Region 1 DVD.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

February 24, 2009
[font=Century Gothic]"Walker" starts in 1853 as William Walker(Ed Harris) barely survives his botched attempt at liberating a corrupt section of Mexico. Since that went so well, he is approached by Cornelius Vanderbilt(Peter Boyle) to head an expedition to Nicaragua to stabilize the country so he can profit off the overland route and a future canal. Walker is at first reluctant but joins up when his fiancee Ellen(Marlee Matlin) dies of cholera.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Walker" is a wildly entertaining and exuberant movie incredibly based on a true story about a delusional man.(Anytime you start to believe your own press, you have problems, especially if you own a newspaper for that express purpose.) Directed by Alex Cox in a style that could best be termed as Peckinpah on mescaline, the movie utilizes more than its fair share of anachronisms to highlight the timelessness of the plot. Cox's intent was to indirectly comment on the covert war against the Sandinistas in the 1980's but since economic imperialism is eternal, then why could we not apply this movie's lessons to Iraq instead? [/font]
Alec B

July 23, 2010
Its unjustly hated in many circles. I love that the film throws out anything that resembles historical accuracy whenever it needs to in order to make a point. Its the1850s but I guess people read Newsweek and flew helicopters. The obviousness of the political message is even more entertaining, but I think that people fail to realize that the point that Cox was trying to make was how even though the methods of war and technology have changed, we still justify it with the same old ideas.
shitfaced8
shitfaced8

September 4, 2011
I had only seen one of Alex Cox's films prior to this (Sid and Nancy) so was unsure what to expect from this 'historical drama'. Glad I gave it a chance as it was an extremely unique, clever and funny film watching experience. I think what he was trying to do here was invert the cliches of historical drama's, add in a healthy dose of irony, sarcasm and allegory, and make a firm statement about the US foreign policy in Nicaragua in particular, but the message could be applied to many other places as well. Centers around William Walker (played by Ed Fuckin Harris), who is hired by a powerful and wealthy man to overthrow the Nicaraguan government and create stability in the region for the sake of his trade interests. Walker goes on to become drunk with power and eventually betrays everyone who helps him along his way. While this is based on a true story if your a stickler for historical accuracies and such this film is definently not for you. Characters are seen reading newsweeks smoking filtered Marlboros and theres even a helicopter at the end. People who may criticize this movie for those reasons are retarded. While it is historical this film is clearly concerned with current issues. Also features a pretty good soundtrack from Joe Strummer of the Clash. All in all a very unqiue film that is unlike anything else I've ever seen. Recommended.
engrymfilm
August 15, 2009
Alex Cox gets way too much shit for this movie mostly because people can't take their period pieces with intentional anachronisms and historical inaccuracy. Suckers
heavyd2000
November 24, 2008
What can I say, I like sureal film's, but my dad hated this. I fill that this film is more important now than it ever was. I also would like to say that this is the kind of film I expected el topo to be. Man was Walker ever crazy.
June 14, 2008
Mad amalgam of earnest political commentary, Spaghetti western tropes, "Apocalypse Now" surrealism, and soundbite history, Alex Cox's film is a beacon in the 1980's cinema wasteland. I never though much of Cox's talent. His "Sid & Nancy" is well-done but there is much room for improvement and his subsequent films lack cohesive execution. The man talks about film better than he makes it...except in this case. "Walker" is a serious polemic on American imperialism disguised as a Herzog-like madhouse of megalomania (Ed Harris astounding in the title role of a sketch of the historical figure) and an air of farce & peril cohabitating nicely.
flixsterbum
April 23, 2008
An odd, sly little film juxtaposing the Nicaraguan rule of William Walker with recent U.S. "interventions" in Central America. This one's definitely an acquired taste, it really just chugs along at its own crazy pace without taking much of a breath to make a whole lotta sense. But I think that's kind of the point of the movie, that the U.S. trying to fiddle with other countries is as insane as our man Billy. Ed Harris is great as usual, playing the solemn but insane Walker with a straight face. If you're a fan of Harris or just like to check out movies that take a weird detour off the beaten path, this one's worth checking out.
February 5, 2014
An unusual and fascinating biographical film that is at times entertaining and at other times frustrating.
October 28, 2013
Probably one of the most unique biopics ever made, Cox's tale of the mercenary turned president is certainly an interesting piece. Led by an impeccable and iron-faced Harris as the idealistic Walker, the film offers solid production values (on location, nonetheless) and an interesting, almost mocking score by Joe Strummer that takes on more a 'Carnival!' flavour than Morricone or Jarre. However, its satire of America's hamfisted foreign policies and interference in external affairs never feels as full blooded or daring as it should be, and its integration of more modern creations never quite mixes in seamlessly and is introduced too late in the film's already short runtime.
July 2, 2013
This bizarre 80's western unfolds in such an disorganized fashion that neither its violence of its political satire land any real blows
May 13, 2013
Love it or hate it, you'll probably never see a film quite like this one. Alex Cox's catch-all psychedelic Zapata Western is an experience. Cox lays his political message on thick with beautiful music from Joe Strummer, fantastic on-location shooting in Nicaragua, bloody Peckinpah style gun battles, and a ton of seemingly random and bizarre shit, for lack of a better word, all collide together to make this a pretty cool little movie. Probably requires a few viewings to completely digest.
October 11, 2008
Performance of Ed Harris Is Very Good and that makes it worth watching.
July 12, 2012
Okay, first of all, do not expect historical or even temporal accuracy. What you do need to expect is an Acid Western in the vein of El Topo. If you can do that then you will get what Alex Cox is going for with Walker. This is a rather good film following the story of William Walker, but with many many liberties taken from it. A spiritual successor to the film "Burn!", Walker is a fun, violent, politically striking film which deals directly with imperialism and American interventionism. Walker is full of bizarre iconography and isn't in touch with it's own reality, but at no point does it ever compromise it's vision for what we think is right. If we allow Quentin Tarantino get away with re-writing WWII, then surely we can allow Alex Cox to do the same with Walker. At times the images are rather brutal, but never strays too far from camp value either. This is a funny film but it hits us with real truths and forces us to recognize them.
June 17, 2012
One day it will be looked upon as the great and ambitious film that it is.
November 5, 2011
The film is heavily panned but I gotta admit I love Alex Cox's style. Yes it's flawed but a great soundtrack and Alex Cox's director sure helps. Theres some scenes that are really hauntingly beautifully shot.
Sandman1968
August 1, 2011
It's always sad to witness the fall of a potentially great director, and even sadder when that fall happens after only two films. "Repo Man" wasn't a perfect film, but it sure was ambitious and different. Then three years later as a follow-up, Alex Cox gives us "Walker", a confused and bloody mess. There are so many laughs in this that you have to wonder if they were intentional. Witness the scene where Ed Harris signs to his deaf wife and then calls her a bitch, or how all of the action scenes feature some sort of action scene cliche like the slow-motion blood-splatter gun shot and the victims falling head first off a roof.
This had a story to tell, and I would have loved to learn something about the mysterious historical figure. But this movie isn't interested in teaching us anything or being an authentic history lesson. In fact, I have no idea what the point was supposed to be.
Harris is a fine actor, and he has a few good moments here, but not nearly enough of them. And after Marlee Matlin's Oscar win, she follows it up with a glorified cameo in this mess. She's dead in outside of fifteen minutes. And then there's the jarring, M. Night Shymalan moment when Time magazine and army helicopters show up. What does it all mean? Maybe Cox should clue us in.
"Walker" is a dreary movie-going experience. There's a good movie to be made out of this subject matter, but this ain't it.
Syndicated
May 5, 2011
Being based off a true story I was more in to in the film. Man, did that pay off walker is a fantastic movie. Yes, I was dragged in to it by my friend but he was right this is an excellent film. Besides the helicopter scene and the car the movie is historical correct but to its defense it is symbolic. Love it or Hate it you must say it is well made and was a delight to see to bad for me it is difficult to find on DVD...