Warm Bodies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Warm Bodies Reviews

May 24, 2013
Another zombie flick, oh...great, but wait! this one is different, its about a zombie falling in love with a female who's still alive...wait what? Yes that's right the zombie in this flick is the undead hero and goes after a young girl saving her life. He then goes about looking after her and trying to woo her for her affections, yeah it does sound kinda sick doesn't it.

OK so the plot is pretty unique I give it that, its original to see a zombie flick from the zombies point of view. This still doesn't alter the fact its an incredibly silly idea and amazes me it actually got the green light. The start of the film is actually quite good as we see zombie life, the kinda things we all know from zombie horror flicks of the past here presented in a mundane way, daily undead routines. Its got a nice quirky light feel to it, a horror comedy that really got me hooked I must admit.

Things do get a bit daft as the zombies try to communicate, as narrated by our hero zombie, we hear his thoughts throughout. Its at this point you're thinking this is why no one has done this before, its ridiculous. The film goes up a gear of course once our zombie meets his girl and sweeps her off her feet. Its also the start of many many plot and idea issues. Not that I'm surprised seeing the content of the film, you know not to expect a completely coherent storyline.

Why do the zombies seem to shuffle along yet in flashbacks they run? why do bonies run so well? why do bonies all look exactly the same? why do bullet hits anywhere kill bonies yet zombies need one in the head? how do the zombie masses manage to recover/come back to life? we know it was some kind of biological/viral outbreak that has killed everyone and turned them into zombies. But how would the body recover from this when its been clinically dead for a long period of time? decaying, no heartbeat.

Its funny how the zombies are suppose to be completely brain dead (including our hero) yet still manage to speak, think, act etc...At the start when the girl is taken by our hero zombie she can escape at anytime quite easily. All she has to do is run off because the zombies only shuffle around, plus she accepts so easily that she's been captured. Anyone else would have smashed his brains out at the first chance they got, and she gets many. Also why did the other zombies believe she was dead? just because he smeared a tiny bit of zombie blood on her face?? really?

I could go on but I won't simply because its a very easy film to pick apart, but its not suppose to be a thinker. Its a silly zombie flick with a twist and leaning towards comedy, I won't say romance because its just too stupid. Yes the inevitable comparison to 'Twilight' lingers in the air but its not really like that, yes our hero zombie is an Edward type of character with lots of pretty blue eye close ups but he doesn't sparkle. The female 'love' interest is not like Bella either, its not that sappy thank god, although she does kiss him whilst he's still undead (seconds before he is revived), so is that soft core necrophilia?

Nicely original apart from the whole zombie apocalypse/last remaining humans in barricaded city stuff, and I liked the undead bonie zombies. Its not overly funny nor is it overly slushy and wet, its not scary but its not for kids either, it hangs somewhere in between. Had this been a tad more adult, had a bit more dark gallows humour, it could of been in the same league as 'An American Werewolf', but it holds its own.
½ March 15, 2013
There have been a lot of zombie shows recently and it would be understandable for people to be tired of the trope by now. This film freshens up things by introducing zombies that are self aware and maybe not entirely gone yet. It finds just the right balance of humor and suspense, being light-hearted while things are still at stake. That makes for a quite charming and entertaining take on the genre. The soundtrack is pretty great, too.
March 10, 2014
I only watched 30 minutes of this movie and it was enough to think that this is the worst movie ever made. I don't understand how someone like Jonathan Levine made in 2011 on of the best movies I've ever saw (50/50) and two years later he came up with this piece of crap. A film so inconsistent and full of nonsense, really..... do you really think a zombie could have feelings???? This movie shows zombies like a bunch of pussies. Zombies don't sleep, zombies don't dream and specially zombies don't talk. At least I didn't pay to see this on theatres (watched it on tv) but what I really lost is and hour and a half of my life. To conclude, this movie is a stupid waste of time
½ February 28, 2013
Really loved this!! So sweet, funny, and heartwarming (literally). I was not sure what to expect since it IS a zombie movie, but the plot is tight; there were no loose ends. The acting is first rate. It could have been a silly movie, but it was a perfect blend of drama, comedy, romance, and horror...with a universal, and important message at the end. Wonderful movie...
ajaymuthecooldevils
March 23, 2012
Quite a high rating for a teen movie, I must say.. But IMHO, 'Warm Bodies' is no more than just another absurd fantasy love story even though that makes this movie unique.. The story, the cast and their performance just forgettable, nothing special on it.. It was a decent watch, no more..
April 13, 2013
Cute, but ultimately unbelievable and inconsistent. No notable acting. Just mindless, zombie entertainment without the horror element.
February 1, 2013
Sweet and cute, a little slow, and it's still impossible to believe Malkovich as anything other than evil. Sorry dude.
Samuel Riley
½ July 14, 2013
I really can't say I enjoyed this film, however, I didn't loathe it either. Since I'm use to the zombie mythology created by George A.Romero, I found it extremely difficult to accept the idea of a romantic bondage between a human and a zombie. However, I won't deny the story's plot is fascinating and really supports the idea of how "love is more powerful than death". Even though its seems like a different take on Twilight, I found it more interesting and enjoyable. There is a stage in the zombies evolution when they become "Bonies", which I felt were a rip-offs of the feral ghouls from the video game Fallout 3. Overall, this isn't a typical zombie film of gore and guts, however, it isn't a romance will constant flowers and optimism. Warm Bodies is a unique and rather successful bondage of the zombie and romance genres.
July 2, 2013
It's stupidly cute and honestly that's all it needs to be.

Warm Bodies is tongue-in-cheek and just a really adorable blend of teen-romance and zombie-fair. As if the script wasn't charming enough you also have Malkovich and Corddry bumping up the appeal!

It's really nice to see there are still successful twists to classic formulas, regardless of how frivolous and harmless of a flick. Turn your brain off for this one, and bring your sweetheart :]
February 6, 2013
After getting over my repulsion of zombies, I really started to enjoy this one. Just cute and sweet, with a little Rob Corddry humor thrown in.
LWOODS04
½ November 14, 2012
Warm Bodies is one of those books were the movie just might be a bit better. I enjoyed the book. Yes I am a proud book nerd. I don't hide it nor could I with the many shelves I have all over my home that are over flowing with books. Not to mention how crazy full my Kindle is of books. So I get pretty excited when the books I've read, loved, and own get turned into films. Sometimes the films can be quite disappointing, but that's not the case with this film. I really loved all of the characters and I especially loved Nick Holt as R. He was awesome. They are calling him the new Johnny Depp. I wouldn't go that far, but he definitely has the talent to be just as great. Teresa Palmer is an actress I haven't seen much of. But I loved her as Julie. Her and Nick had great onscreen chemistry. It's a great zombie love story. Unique and charming is the best way to describe this film and the book. I will definitely be buying this one.
½ June 21, 2013
Zombie flicks haven't been my cup of tea, but I read somewhere that this one's a different one. Different it is, but not entertaining. Despite using FF button, I've to say that it's very slow-paced. May have had something with the slow movement of zombies.Whatever. The story was wafer-thin, with a terrible ending. Kristen Stewart look-alike also acted alike more than less. The others were just so-so. To sum up, it's a completely avoidable rom-zom. Just my humble opinion; you're permitted to give it a go..
February 13, 2013
A charming enough diversion, and smart allegory for ___ (awkward teen romance or giving "different" people a chance - take your pick). But the best parts were in the trailer and ultimately the lack of chemistry and plot loopholes didn't convince me.
June 5, 2013
It's one of the most satisfying and engaging genre mash-ups in years. A wickedly original and utterly refreshing twist on the classic romantic-comedy. It's absolutely a great time. One of the funniest, freshest and most enjoyable movies of the year so far. A tremendously entertaining, wonderfully thrilling and outrageously hilarious movie. A good-natured, sweet, charming and ridiculously fun comedy. Its the best zombie comedy made since Shaun of the Dead. A smart, sexy, sharp, inventive and well-crafted flick. The cast is truly wonderful to watch. Nicholas Hoult brings something special to the table, evolving from a brain-dead zombie to someone with heart. Teresa Palmer is fantastic. Palmer and Hoult have great chemistry. John Makkovich is excellent. It's kinda hard not to love this film for its characters and witty approach.
½ February 1, 2013
I really enjoyed seeing a Zombie movie thar is mostly from a Zombie's perspective!
½ February 1, 2013
"Warm Bodies" almost feels like a Romeo and Juliet for our generation. With loveable characters, an intriguing plot, and an execution better than anyone could ever ask for, this film pulls off the impossible, which is what the "Twilight" films failed to do. As humans are sent in to destroy corpses, there is also another evil, far worse that they should be more concerned about. While in the hunt for these corpses, one of the humans (Julie), finds herself falling for a zombie known as "R," who, because of love is beginning to become human again. This is definitely in the "star crossed lovers" territory of storytelling, and I must say, the director of this film took the words right out of my mouth. "I think this is a cool way of reinventing the genre." This film does just that and so much more. Funny, witty, scary, and romantic, "Warm Bodies" is the most enjoyable film I've seen so far in 2013. A great experience at the cinema!
MANUGINO
½ April 15, 2013
Cold body. Warm heart.

Great movie! Go see this movie, its adorable! I loved how its dark and gory in a cute way. This movie is funny, suspenseful, a little bit of a horror and romantic; its the perfect date movie! I don't get scared easily but this movie made me jump a few times... The whole movie i was entertained! I was very impressed with the way the make-up and hair team were able to make the zombies so realistic! R was very easy to relate with and this movie has a little bit of everything for everyone.

With much of the world's population now an undead horde, R is a young and introspective zombie. While fighting with and feeding on a human scavenger party, R meets Julie and feels an urge to protect her. What happens next is the beginning of a strangely warm relationship that allows R to begin regaining his humanity. As this change spreads through the local undead population like a virus, Julie and R eventually have to face a larger issue when the very nature of their friendship is challenged. Caught between the paranoid human forces and the ferocious "Bonies", zombies who are a mutual threat, R and Julie must find a way common bond bridge the differences each sides must overcome so that they all fight for a better world no one thought possible.
May 21, 2013
"Warm Bodies" starts out strong by introducing a unique voice and tone, a surprisingly great young cast, and something to say. Halfway through the movie, though, it runs out of steam abruptly and devolves into a cliche-ridden Twilight-esque thriller, with absolutely horrible special effects. In the process, it loses its identity and eventually shambles to a close. After such a promising first half, the disappointing back end feels much more pronounced. Still worth seeing for the cast (Teresa Palmer resembles a talented, expressive version of Kristen Stewart), the humor, and the solid direction, but prepare of the hollow echo of wasted potential when all is said and done.
366weirdmovies
March 20, 2013
After the zombie apocalypse, one of the living dead finds that he has memories of being alive, and even what it means to love. This zombie twist on Romeo and Juliet starts out with a great premise, but the longer it goes on, the more it sacrifices satire and insight for unlikely romance aimed at the "Twillight" crowd. Not bad but a bit of a missed opportunity.