Watching the Detectives Reviews

August 17, 2010
I loved this movie!!! I want may boyfriends to be like Cillian Murphys character!! love love love. I think this is Luci Lus best performance. She is so quirky and fun. There is never a dull moments in this cute and fresh film.
November 18, 2009
This was so funny. Cilllian Murphy was so great as a gullable pathetic guy. Lucy Lui, well, how do I put it, her character probably tops Clementine in Eternal Sunshine. She was so incredibly lovable in every way. The movie was full of Hilarius shots of Cillian Murphy crying and dressing up like old movie characters that would be worth watching on its own. The plot is great though. You never quite know what's going on, not even until the credits role, which was really interesting. I also loved that this is a movie for movie lovers with countless references to cult classics. It gets so hardcore that it brings up the question of which Invasion of the Body Snatchers is better, priceless.
September 26, 2009
As a huge fan of the Broken Lizard boys it was nice to see one of them break free as a director on a completely different style of film. The laugh out loud moments have been replaced by scenes that inspire quiet quirky giggles. It's a nice enough romantic comedy, but the quirky girl thing has been done too much of late. The film juggles it's message uncomfortably, and soon just becomes a repetitive cycle, with bluff after bluff after bluff. It's an easy watch and one that has enough entertainment value in it's 90 minutes to justify a watch.
April 5, 2009
Watching the Detectives is a quirky movie for movie fans. It's not incredibly original, but it does put a nerdy spin on a well-worn concept.

I mainly wanted to see this because Lucy Liu is in it, and she was by far the most interesting part. Cillian Murphy was ok, but he just seems more suited for more antagonistic roles.

This is basically just a boy-meets-crazy-unique-girl with a film buff twist. Watching the Detectives has a few very funny parts, and it ends before its gimmick gets stale. Lucy Liu fans should give it a try.
½ March 9, 2009
Watching the Detectives is a movie that was made about 10 years too late as it seems better suited for the mid-90s independent shitstorm that Mirimax seemed solely responsible for. Cillian Murphy is an indie video store owner and Lucy Liu is a cute, headfucking wackadoo who shakes up his life that's content to v be viewed as a spectator sport. This movie plays out like a 90-minute episode of Dharma and Greg with slightly more street cred but the contrived wackiness of Lucy Liu's character just annoyed me incredibly. Remember in Burn After Reading the bad date movie Frances McDormand keeps seeing? "Come down from there!" "No, you come up here!" Yeah, this movie has that scene. But the scene that murdered this terminal case of a movie was the concert that Murphy had in his garage was awful and I was embarrassed watching it. Ultimately, Watching the Detectives doesn't seem to have anything to say, doesn't know how to say it and takes way too long in doing so.
½ January 4, 2009
A cute and clever film about a film geek who falls for the girl of his dreams in the most unusual way...that's it in a nutshell. A good strong cast and a cute story, however I felt they pushed Lucy Liu's character a bit over the edge into "I hate this person" terrirtory. Even with the happy ending, I still dislike her for all the shit she puts this guy through just to relate to him. Cillian is great, as always, and the supporting cast gets pushed back quite a bit, along with backstory or character development, leaving very little to support. However, the film shines at its' geekiness, cuteness and just good wholesome fun. A fun date movie that doesn't really let you down.
½ March 19, 2008
This film is about a film geek (Cillian Murphy) who falls in love with a girl (Lucy Liu) who is always up for an adventure. It is the classic romance story of a "tight-as-a-belt" man meets "raunchy, raucous yet cute and cuddly" woman and they consequently falls in love with each other and live happily ever after.

What made saw this film is Cillian Murphy. I have never seen him in a comedy before and then I went to see this to see if he has the acting chops for romantic comedies. We have always seen him in dark, brooding thrillers and it is always good to see these character actors to try out new roles and Cillian Murphy just proved here that he is a versatile actor. From the apocalyptic zombie epic "28 Days Later", his villainous turn as Scarecrow in "Batman Begins" and the Danny Boyle sci-fi "Sunshine" to this: A light hearted comedy about finding love in the most weirdest of ways.

I hope to see more of him in the future. Be it a dark thriller or a comedy, count me in.

The plot is somewhat familiar but it all worked out in the end. It was cute but at some points in the film the cutesy-factor went overboard for me. Lucy Liu was okay as the leading lady although her character was a bit annoying at times.

But you know, like I said, it all worked out in the end. Its cuteness got me. 3 and a half stars.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ April 14, 2014
"She is watching the detectives, 'Ooh, he's so cute"; she is watching the detectives when they shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot!" Oh yeah, you can choke on some American pie, Don McClean, because that is real lyrical brilliance right there, my friend. Man, forget Elvis Costello, and forget this film for reminding me of that song, although I might only have myself to blame for that. Yeah, either you have to kind of go out of your way to find a film like this, or you have to stumble upon this film when looking up Elvis Costello's song... or Cillian Murphy, or Lucy Liu, or Jason Sudeikis. Wow, this film actually has some impressive names behind it, yet it ended up going straight to video regardless, and the lazy bums who probably aren't active enough to go to the cinemas who Elvis Costello was singing about still didn't want to go through the trouble of watching this on pay-per-view or whatever. Yeah, see, right there is probably why no one is watching this film, because it's about a guy who works at a video rental store, and by 2007, people were starting to lose interest in actually going to a store to not actually purchase a film, and it doesn't help that this film about video rental stores isn't all that interesting. No, I guess this film is a little more entertaining than the Elvis Costello song of the same name, but limited relevance isn't its only issue.

Not unlike plenty of comedies of its nature, this film has a few refreshing ideas, but they're so light that they go lost in the midst of conventions, which thrive and thrive until the final product borders on hopelessly derivative, with its narrative and its humor. I won't say that nothing is original here, because, at the very least, the film tries hard enough for you to get a little taste from those conceptual elements that are kind of offbeat, but at the end of the day, this is by no means new, being unoriginal to the point of being kind of blandly flat. That sense of blandness isn't exactly helped by spots in the film's humor, which is often reasonably effective, and just as often too lacking in uniqueness, if not wit to be all that colorful, with moments in which it truly falls flat, at least as mediocre. Of course, in all fairness, it's kind of hard to have fun with characters who aren't that worthwhile, or at least even, having a couple unlikable traits, in addition to traits that fail to compensate for the distancing ones because of their twisting characterization into a direction that is more jarring than layering, and not even all that convincing. Really, even outside of the characterization, storytelling doesn't always convince, because on top of being unoriginal, this story has a tendency to slip in probability, often getting too carried away with its eccentricities, as surely as it has a tendency to get carried away with ambiguities behind Lucy Liu's intentionally strange Violet character, who leaves the narrative that she drives as the central focus of plotting to lose focus before too long. It gets to be a little challenging to tell where exactly this film is heading, no matter how predictable it is in a lot of ways, and with momentum being further retarded by improbably spots in storytelling and flat spots in humor, the final product ends up falling as a pretty underwhelming, almost mediocre comedy. Yeah, there's nothing special here, but neither is there enough flatness for the final product to bore, entertaining adequately, sometimes through, of all things, lively scoring.

Well, whether it be because it's unoriginal or because it's not especially prominent or dynamic, this Ryan Amon's score isn't especially worth talking about, but as far as comedy scores go, Amon turns in more than a few decent and fitting compositions, the highlights of which include noir homages, as well as lively, organ-driven spots that feature some impressive musicianship, while capturing a sense of eccentricity that defines certain aspects of this piece. Of course, the score is perhaps at its most effective when well-utilized by direction by Paul Soter that, despite frantic moments, if not limp moments, has enough nifty plays on style - anchored by some snappy editing by Jeff Canavan - to keep pacing smooth and entertainment value pretty sufficient. Granted, this aimless film doesn't go too many places with its smooth pace, and entertainment value is pretty limited by plenty of other elements, but mediocrity would stand as a greater threat if it wasn't for Soter delivering on plenty of color as directorial storyteller, as well as a writer. Plenty is lacking in Soter's scripting, even in humor, which is a little too lacking in originality and sometimes even a little too lacking in wit, but serviceably enough to keep up some degree of fun more often than anything, with moments in dialogue and set piece structuring that are clever enough to amuse pretty thoroughly. Soter makes his share of mistakes when it comes to handling humor, but through it all, he makes a pretty funny flick, as surely as he makes his share of mistakes when it comes to characterization, until cutting through all of the unlikable, improbable and even uneven traits in order to craft aspects colorful enough to endear you to the characters who drive this fluff piece, but are better sold, not by anything that Soter does, but by the performers themselves. At least carrying a respectable cast, this film is saved by its performers, specifically the leads, whose lack of racial consistency and certain lack of character consistency admittedly shakes chemistry that is still pretty firmly secured by the combination of Cillian Murphy's and Lucy Liu's charismas, both of which are distinguished, and equally effective. Whether it be Liu as the unpredictably eccentric girl looking to live life to the fullest, or Murphy as the reasonably tasteful, but still pretty flawed and strange man with only so much direction in his life, the leads are handed conventional roles that they bring a lot of life to, more so than Soter does as director and writer, which isn't to say that there isn't enough done right on Soter's behalf to make the final product pretty entertaining, despite its questionable elements.

In conclusion, conventions, flat spots in humor, unlikable and uneven characterization elements, and some improbability bring the final product to the brink of mediocrity, while generally decent scoring, direction and writing, as well as solid chemistry between and distinguished charisma by Cillian Murphy and Lucy Liu bring enough decency to Paul Soter's "Watching the Detectives" to make an adequately entertaining and clever, if forgettable, eccentric rom-com.

2.5/5 - Fair
May 2, 2013
A romance for movie nerds, and a very likeable one at that.
½ May 22, 2013
Worth watching for Cillian and Lucy. But imagine my shock when I learned this was not filmed in the 90s!
December 10, 2011
This starts off fairly cute and quirky, albeit a little bit annoying because Lucy Liu's character is SO over the top... and then it completely falls apart in the second half. I stopped caring what was going on a good half hour before it ended. Too bad, because I love Cillian Murphy and the movie does have potential, but I guess there's a reason I found this in the discount bin.
January 12, 2011
Both Liu & Murphy are very, very likable and I was laughing throughout this movie. I always liked Cillian Murphy but this made him awesome.
November 17, 2009
Watching the Detectives is a silly movie, full of dumb notions, about a bunch of quite believable eccentrics. Pretty much anything with Lucy Liu in it will get at least three stars from me but this lightweight comedy earned better than that. The quirky relationship was fun to watch as it followed a path strewn with surprising twists. The acting was excellent -- not just the stars but the supporting players as well. It's not great cinema but I found it really enjoyable.
July 14, 2009
I dont really go for the romantic comedy types but once in a blue moon, one will come along that makes me curious. At first I was interested cause of Cillian but I feel like Lucy Liu made this movie. It cause she's so crazy in this film that I decided to check it out and I thought it was cute. Yep. Just cute, thats all.
½ March 24, 2008
Strangley cute and adorable. So the chick is literally crazy, it is a wonderful love story. I love the ending!
½ June 19, 2009
Sad that I actually knew some of the movies that the guy was obsessed with. I think it was made a little late because of the VHS, but at least they explained why he didn't have DVDs. It was weird too.
½ April 12, 2009
I rather liked this film! I thought Cillian did a great job bringing out his inner humor. It was interesting as well, Lucy's character brought up a lot of good points. I thought it was really funny. It's too bad this movie never made it to the theaters, because it was great! The only flaw was the ending, it seemed so sudden...
March 13, 2008
theres been a lot of movies about weird guys who own indie stores and meet even weirder girls and this is another one. lucy liu's character is pretty good but cillian murphy is kind of a bore.
January 25, 2009
Really good movie. Should be more popular. This movie was really fun to watch. I enjoyed it. Lucy Liu is funny in the movie. Great movie.
January 4, 2009
The back of the dvd box looked like it would be a cute movie. Mostly it just made me want a video store of my own. Overall, the plot was weak, the acting was not that good, and quite boring... there were some funny parts, but not enough to lift it's rating.