—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

We Are Marshall Reviews

John M

March 22, 2007
Moving and painful. While it is obviously loosely following the real events, even tha tis enought ot make you stand up and salute the town. Indeed We Are Marshall.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 26, 2012
We Are Marshall is an over bearing cliché riddled feel good film that unfortunately doesn't deliver. This is the type of film we've seen many times before. This film doesn't work and is quite tiresome. I really didn't enjoy the film, and was very disappointed in the way it turned out. I was very much looking forward in seeing this film, and when I did, the only thing I noticed was the standard sports clichés set to a real life tragedy. The film did start off well, but afterwards it played on it clichés to deliver its entertainment. The cast seem to overdo their performances on-screen. Overall there is nothing really good to take away from this film. The film is too predictable, and it ends up being another feel good sports drama. There's nothing within the film to really make it a stand out film, and it doesn't break new ground or do anything new in the genre. We Are Marshall is the same old tired out formula that seems to plague sports dramas. With this film, there's really no performance that really stands out. I felt the cast was pretty bland. I felt that considering that this is a true story, there could have been a lot more effort put into it. But in the end, We Are Marshall is a cliché riddled film that simply is no different than any other films in this genre. There are better films out there, than this one. We Are Marshall simply don't deliver anything new or refreshing, something that is much needed in this genre. Expect a film with lots of clichés with this one, and you may not be disappointed. I for one, was, and didn't think too much of this film.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 10, 2007
Movie based on a true story about a town called Huntingdon who lost their university football team and staff in a tragic plane accident. The president if the school wants to abandon the football programme but some students convince him not to. He employs football coach and assistant coach - two Matthews. Looks at hope from tragedy. Good cast.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 13, 2011
I personall though it was sweet. Mathew Mcaughnahey is a good actor, the plot was great for 20 minutes but then became another football movie. It was a fun, classy movie and is I really liked it.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 2, 2010
One of my all-time favorite sport movies. It's such a tragic, touching story. I like the way this film balances plot and sport, with sports serving almost as a secondary element. Very touching film! I recommend it!
Luke B

September 2, 2010
Based on a true story, but still very formulaic. The film could have benefited from being grittier and more realistic. It manages to capture the strong and tragic emotions, but when it tries to be inspirational, it pulls out a series of tacky speeches and slow motion back slaps. The story has a great beginning, setting up a town shattering tragedy. The build up is ominous, but still leaves room for surprise. The cast is littered with fantastic actors, from an uncredited Robert Patrick, Ian McShane, and David Strathairn. Each of them plays their roles very well, and I liked the view of different townsfolk. It would have been nice to see more of the town, as McShane and Strathairn are two of the highlights. It also emphasized the painful loss and the needed hope. It does manage to raise some goosebumps, and its raw power is enough to propel it into the end zone. Moving, inspirational, but less than subtle.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
By far one of the best football movies I have seen. A heartbreaking story about a town who loses their entire football team and staff in a tragic plane crash. What makes even more horrific is that it's based on a true story. I thought Matthew McConaughey was great. Really surprised with Matthew Fox's acting. He was really good. It's a sad, but great movie.. Inspiring. Love football movies.
movieguru12
movieguru12

April 27, 2008
Exellant true based story!
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

December 5, 2006
Well, I'm a little surprise that this movie about football can get some star for the cast... I think just Matthew McConaughey the star in this movie, but they can get Matthew Fox and David Straithairn too.. Actually, the story based on a true story usually get predicted too easy... The story which is from zero to hero stills work for the box office run... But I think Matthew Conaughey is a wrong cast for this movie... He try to make this movie a comedy, but the truth that this movie is a drama... It just don't work in this movie, he really can't get serious in this movie... I think that Matthew Fox played better than him... And David Straithairn too... And kind of disturbing is they added the clip from the past in the middle of the movie... It just don't clear who is playing in the movie and who isn't... If the coach not Matthew Conaughey, maybe someone else I think this movie can do a lot better... He just don't fit for that role...
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

May 20, 2008
McG knocked this one out the park. Well written storyline, documented the history well. I enjoyed the film work done in Huntington around the University. The action scenes put you on the field with the players. I loved all of the slo-mo camera work. This was a story that needed to be told properly, with the right touch of compassion. Matt and Matt, good job as Jack and Red, both made it happen. Marshall has come a long way since the 1970 crash and shows what teamwork is all about. If the city and University had not supported the team through thick and thin there would never had been a national championship.

Watch this if you wanna be inspired.
Al S

December 17, 2007
An insipring, uplifting, riveting and powerful film. It's thrilling and pulse pounding. A blisteringly exciting, stunning and deeply moving drama. A wonderful and excellent movie that stands with classics like Remember the Titians and Brians Song. Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Foxx are extroadinary. McConaughey is magnificent, giving the performance of his career. Foxx is outstanding, going from tv star to movie star calibur material. Both these actors do such a good job in this film that you can feel every bit of it. It roars across the screen with emotion.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

January 30, 2008
5 Stars without any doubt. This story will move you in both directions. You will cry and Cheer. Glad I seen it in the confort of home where I could should, cheer, and laugh, oh yea pass a kleenx Please. Added to My Collection.
Bobby H

November 11, 2007
An awesome dedication, too those who lost there lives in the 1970 plane crash.
Jose Z

October 21, 2007
This movie is so great, it's so touching and emotional. Based on true events, it has a very sad and interesting story, A town with a great football tradition, suffers a painful experience when the 1970 football team die in a plain crash, since then the football program is shut down until a man take the head coach job and trie to rebuild and heal the spirit of the team and the whole community. The cast is impressive, Matthew McConaughey with this role, gives maybe the best performance of his carrer, Matthew Fox also acts very well. With this movie McG proves he can direct other kind of movies. In conclusion, this is a tear dropping drama tha will reach your heart.
Beefy
Beefy

April 25, 2007
Wanted to like it a lot more than I did. Was too glossy for its own good.
Red L

October 2, 2007
Honest movie about Marshall University's football program after 90% of the team is killed in a plane crash. I guess it is uplifting. Somewhat predictable.
aliyanto
aliyanto

August 27, 2007
This true story movie is connecting sport to larger issues in an emotionally satisfying way. It reminds us that journey is more important than the destination!
deano
deano

February 4, 2007
Other true story of American football game since Gridiron Gang and Invincible. But this movie is for the memories of 1970's Marshall University football team who were killed in a plane crash that gives heart, healing and thrill for comeback community. Fantastic emotional and encourage story.
nuheart
nuheart

July 3, 2007
For a movie I was "not interested" in, this turned out to be not so bad, owing mostly to the strong performances by McConaughey, Fox and Strathairn.
Bradley W